PDA

View Full Version : HENRY GOLDSMID & SARAH WARD OGLE LINE

phillip
27-10-2011, 10:56 AM
My interest in the line of Henry Goldsmid and his wife Sarah Ward Ogle originates from the marriage of their son Lionel Campbell Goldsmid 1820-1913 to Catherine Crawcour nee Hart. Catherine known as Kate married Lionel in 1880. It was a second marriage for them both. I will post a range of data on the Goldsmid line based on very recent research. I was unaware that Henry Goldsmid was descended from the famous brothers Abraham and Benjamin Goldsmid who were involved in significant loans to British and European royalty and others.
Henry's father was Benjamin Goldsmid abt 1753/55- 1808 who had married Jessie/Jessy daughter of Israel Levien Salomons and his wife Hester Prager. Benjamin himself descended from Aaron Benedict Goldsmichdt ( Goldsmit) 1715-1782 who had married Cathetherine Keetje De Vries Rofe 1718-1780.

Cathererine or Kate Hart's parents were John Hart and Elizabeth Jacobs- my 3x great grandparents.
Currently. I can't locate Henry Goldsmid and his wife Sarah on the census ( I have full access to the major pay site genealogy data). The date for Henry's death on various family trees is inconsistent with that on Free BMD and similarly Sarah's death is given as 1863 when in fact she died 28 Nov 1883.
Any help locating Henry and Sarah would be appreciated. Henry was born 1791 and christened 20 Feb 1812 Saint Giles Camberwell.
More data to follow.
Phillip

phillip
27-10-2011, 11:15 AM
The following data relates to Henry Goldsmid and Sarah Ward Ogle. The London Marriages and Banns 1754-1921 record Church Banns St George Bloomsbury Middx 10 July 1813 Henry Goldsmid and Sarah Ward Ogle in the presence of Jas. Ogle and J? Goldsmid. The Monthly Magazine Vol 36 1813 recorded the marriage of Henry and Sarah- Henry Goldsmid Esq of Nottingham Place to Sarah eldest daughter of Jas.Ogle of Southampton Street.
The family line of Henry and Sarah inluded their children:
Neville Davison b 1813-1875; Alfred Everett 1815-1834; Yeats Henry 1816-1878; Isabel Ogle died 1835; Edmond 1818; Lionel Campbell 1820-1913.
The England and Wales National Probate Calender ( Index of Wills and Administrations 1861-1941 records:
Sarah Ward Goldsmid of 31 Maxilla Gardens North Kensington Middlesex widow who died 28 Nov 1883 at 31 Maxilla Gardens. Probate granted to Lionel Campbell Goldsmid of 31 Maxilla Gardens Esq the son and one of the next of kin. Personal estate £892.5s 7d
I will add more.
Phillip

Lizzy9
27-10-2011, 1:48 PM
I think this is them in 1841, their name is mistranscribed as is Henry's age, but if you magnify the image it does say age 50, and surname Goldsmid.

1841, Remenham, Berkshire, piece 11, book 12, folio 7, page 8. (Crown copyright, in care of TNA)

Henry Goldsand 80
Sarah Goldsand 45
Neville Goldsand 25

Lizzy9
27-10-2011, 2:06 PM
From GWR Registration of Probates, 8/7/1878

Neville Davison Goldsmid late of the Hague Netherlands.

Lizzy9
27-10-2011, 2:31 PM
From GRO Consular Deaths Indices 1849 -65. (deaths for yrs 1860 - 65)

Henry Goldsmid, vol 3 page 785, Registrars District - Hague

phillip
27-10-2011, 6:47 PM
My thanks Lizzy for the data. The 1841 census data is interesting - I have looked at the family and agree with you about Goldsmid. What is of interest is why Henry was in the locality. I can't make out his occupation clearly but it appears to suggest a 'labourer'. If that is correct then this is an error not least because of the bequest he received from his mother and father.
The Old Bailey Trial of 1822 and the Morning Chronicle Weds Dec 11 1822 show Henry to be a victim in an attempted blackmail. He is recorded as living in Crickhowell South Wales but had an apartment in London and then at 8 Norfolk Street Strand. His son Lionel Campbell Goldsmid appears in the census records as being born abt 1820 Crickhowell. From your information it looks as if Henry moved abroad. His family origins included Dutch and German ancestors. I can't see Henry and Sarah post 1841 in the British Census but am aware of the transcription errors that may have affected the searches.
Phillip

phillip
27-10-2011, 7:16 PM
Synagogue and Cemetery Scribes have a range of data on the Benjamin and Abraham Goldsmid brothers and parents including will extracts and burial records. The two brothers both committed suicide- Benjamin on 15 April 1808 and Abraham on 15 April 1810. Benjamin had suffered from a combination of health problems including depression and gout and committed suicide by hanging. Abraham shot himself in the head. Jackson's Oxford Journal Saturday Oct 6 1810 Issue 2997 records the death, coroner's court and burial details of Abraham saying his body was taken to Mile End Jewish cemetery ' and interred 6am ..the body was not interred within the pale alloted to those of that persuasion whose lives are terminated by the course of nature but is was placed near to that of his late brother Benjamin Goldsmid... Mrs Goldsmid left Merton and arrived in town Sunday evening to avoid being a spectator of the afflicting ceremony.'
There is some significant data on the two brothers particularly in relation to their huge influence on the fiscal matters of the day both in the UK and overseas.The paper ' The Brothers Goldsmid and the Financing of the Napoleonic Wars. Paper presented by Paul H Emsden 17 Jan 1939 Jewish Historical Society of England includes details of the two brothers including their ancestry. The two brothers had traded as partners B&A Goldsmid merchants and bill brokers originally at 25 Lemon ( Leman ) Street and then 6 Capel Court. Their father Aaron Goldsmit had been at Gun Square Houndsditch before moving to 25 Leman Street- traded as A Goldsmid &Son and D Eliason Merchants. He was well established in London by 1742.. Abraham had lived at 18 Alie St then 27 Finsbury Square before moving to Morden Hall Surrey.
Phillip

mkuyt
11-12-2011, 1:19 PM
I'm currently investigating the life of Neville Davison Goldsmid, mentioned here earlier. Born in London, 18 April 1814, died in Brussels, early july 1875, buried july 8, 1875 in The Hague, Netherlands.

Neville was a very succesful businessman who made his fortune in constructing and exploiting gas works. He was based in Paris and from 1844 in The Hague, until shortly before his death in 1875. He was also a well-known art collector. After his death his collection was auctioned in Paris, including paintings by Vermeer, Rembrandt, Jan Steen, Dutch 17th century masters.

He run a company 'Compagnie d’éclairage au Gaz des Pays Bas' that got its capital from a Paris based banker Edmund Elsden Goldsmid. How were they related?
Another Goldsmid company was the 'grafton, goldsmid & Co', paris, with gasworks in Passy and Versailles. Who was mr. Grafton?

At the time, the leading Gas manufacturer and exploiter in England was the 'Imperial Continental Gas Association' est. 1824, with as directors Isaac Lyon Goldsmid (1824-1859) and later a Sir Julian Goldsmid (1876-1895). were they also related?

Further, was the Goldsmid family practising the Jewish religion? Neville Davison Goldsmid was buried on a Dutch Reformed grave yard, where the Hague also has a Jewish cemetary. But his names certainly indicate a jewish ancestry. Is Grafton considered a 'jewish' name in English?

I'm looking forward to your contributions, thank you.

Michiel Kuyt, the Hague

Coromandel
11-12-2011, 1:51 PM
Hello Michiel, and welcome to the forum

According to his entry in the Oxford Dictionary of National Biography Sir Isaac Lyon Goldsmid (1778-1859) was the son of Asher Goldsmid and Rachel (née Keyser). Asher was another brother of the Abraham & Benjamin Goldsmid mentioned above. There's more about the family background in a separate DNB entry for Abraham Goldsmid, which also deals with Benjamin. From this I learn that Asher, Benjamin and Abraham were sons of Aaron Goldsmid (who 'migrated from Amsterdam to London about 1763') and Catherine de Vries.

Coromandel
11-12-2011, 2:15 PM
He run a company 'Compagnie d’éclairage au Gaz des Pays Bas' that got its capital from a Paris based banker Edmund Elsden Goldsmid. How were they related?

There's an interesting 'Catalogue of mementos' here:

http://www.
nationalarchives.gov.uk/nra/onlinelists/GB2464%20COLLECTIONS.pdf

According to page 21 of this document, 'Edmund Elsden Goldsmid (1818-70) was a grandson of Benjamin Goldsmid (1755-1808)' so I think he must be the 'Edmond 1818' mentioned in Phillip's post #2.

If I am correct in that assumption, then the answer to your question is that Neville and Edmund were brothers.

Coromandel
11-12-2011, 2:28 PM
Another Goldsmid company was the 'grafton, goldsmid & Co', paris, with gasworks in Passy and Versailles. Who was mr. Grafton?

A report of a court case, Gibson v. Goldsmid, of 1854, begins

'Some time previous to the execution of the indenture hereinafter stated, the plaintiff Thomas Cummings Gibson, the defendant Edmund Elsden Goldsmid, and one John Grafton, with several other persons, carried on business in several copartnershsips. On the 16th of September 1851, an agreement was entered into for dissolving several of these partnerships as regarded the defendant Goldsmid. Disputes having arisen as to the effect of this agreement, and litigation having ensued, an indendure was executed with a view to winding up the affairs of these partnerships...'

The report goes on to talk about shares in the Compagnie d'Eclairage d'Escheveiler.

From 'The Equity Reports, 1854-5: reports of cases argued and determined in the Court of Chancery....' edited by George French and published in 1855 (online via Google Books).