PDA

View Full Version : PARNABY connections, anyone????

PatMac
06-07-2005, 7:56 PM
Is there ANYONE out here who is researching the PARNABY families in Durham? It's not one of the most "common" names, though they were fairly active in producing new Parnabys in some areas of Durham. Along with a couple of other researchers, I'm attempting to find as many of them as I can, in an attempt to find the "missing links" between our families.

At present, I have traced my line back to one Christopher Parnaby, born around 1760, who married a young lady named Ann Hardy, also about 1760. I'm the "fourth great-granddaughter" of this couple, and I'm sure there are quite a few other people living out there who have the same relationship to them that I do.

I know there were also Parnaby families in Yorkshire in the 18th and 19th centuries, and surely there are a few people in the UK who still bear that last name? Or can trace to it through the maternal line, as I have done?

Hoping to hear back soon from ANYONE who has an interest in this name!!

smallthings
14-07-2005, 2:34 PM
I'm not researching this name but have found the following:

1891 South Shields census
4161 71 25 Tyne Dock South Shields
24 Union St
John PARNABY Hd M 51 Coal Trimmer DUR Sunderland 9
Mary PARNABY Wi M 50 DUR Sunderland
Elizabeth PARNABY Da S 21 DUR Tyne Dock
Isabella PARNABY Da S 16 DUR Sunderland
John PARNABY So S 18 Boilermakers Appren. DUR Sunderland
Robert PARNABY So S 14 DUR Sunderland
Jenny PARNABY Da 10 Scholar DUR Sunderland
Annie PARNABY Da 7 Scholar DUR Tyne Dock

Jan

PatMac
19-07-2005, 6:46 PM
Thanks so much, will add this to my records for future use!

WALKER99
27-08-2005, 8:27 PM
Hi I have Parnabys in my Tree Thomas William Parnaby Married one of my Walkers Ida at Ferryhill County Durham in 1914 Thomas William Was born Jul - sep 1887 Sadberge Durham Reg Dist the son of Thomas Parnaby and Jane Isabella Peverley who married between Jan - mar 1887 Darling reg district this thomas was born c 1863 Sadberge Durham and his mother was Elizabeth Parnaby born c 1839 Sadberge Durham she later married Robert French between april to June 1866 Darlington Reg District if you can help me an anyway I would be most gratefull

Judy2006
10-05-2006, 4:03 PM
Hi Pat

I am also related maternally to the Parnaby’s of Raby Park, Staindrop and Hamsterley that you mention. I am the 4th generation great granddaughter of Christopher Parnaby husband of Ann Hardy – who married 21 May 1787 in Hamsterley: (that was the only marriage I have found for him so far).
Christopher and Ann’s children were:
*John – baptised 7 Dec 1792 in Staindrop (of my line) his occupation was a
Flax Dresser.
Christopher – baptised 8 Feb 1791 in Staindrop (I believe he is one of
yours?)
Sarah – born about 1795 in Staindrop
William - 8 Mar 1794 in Staindrop

Source of information from Staindrop St Mary’s parish registers and St James Hamsterley – microfiche

Would you be happy to share and compare notes? If so please email

Kind regards
Judy

Judy2006
18-05-2006, 5:24 PM
Hi Pat

Thank you for your reply to my posting re Parnaby's and Hardy's of Raby Park, Staindrop.

I did try to email you but I seem to be having problems with my Hotmail (bloomin MSN again....sigh)

So could you contact me direct please, at:-

I will then happily send you details of my Parnaby research so far, we could then compare notes. I look forward to hearing from you

Kind Regards
Judy

linhow
19-06-2006, 2:34 PM
Is there ANYONE out here who is researching the PARNABY families in Durham?
Came across your message & was transported back to the 1960's when I was taught by the wonderful "Pop" Parnaby at Gladstone Street Secondary School in Darlington. A man of deadly aim with a piece of chalk & the most outrageous non sequiturs which certainly livened Maths lessons up for me!Looking back at my school records, I think his initials were T.H.

I know this doesn't really classify as solid research, but it might be a datum point!

toiras
16-07-2006, 1:21 AM
Hi Pat,

I am a Parnaby (but the Yorkshire variety) we definitely do exist!

PatMac
18-07-2006, 3:19 AM
I'll take any kind of connection I can get- have nothing but respect for Yorkshire folks, since I was born there myself.- maternal lines mostly from Durham, ( know of any Blacketts pershaps?) paternal from Yorkshire, ( some going way way back) and Norfolk.

Where in Yorkshire did/do your folks live?

Hope to hear back soon,

Pat Mac

Gillian Ward
17-10-2007, 8:35 AM
Hi all of you who are interested. I was born in 1948 in Sunderland, my father Alan Parnaby captained Durham County at Cricket before the war. His brother was Christopher and father Christopher who married Ann Herring. Cousins included an Ernie who lived out at Hetton. I am convinced that the current 'famous' Parnaby the footballer Stuart must be related but my son contacted him last year and his mother insisted he was not. There is also a good golfing Parnaby around so the good sportsman strain has to be there. I would love to know more about the family as a whole.

terri1
25-11-2007, 10:46 AM
in 1983 i worked for the parnaby brothers in sunderland
there was twins george and aubry and older brother ernest
they owned a pram and baby centre on hylton road, i know ernest died in the 90's but dont know what happened to twins, i know george had 2 sons one named andrew who will be in his 40's now but dont know about other son.
they retired from shop in early 90's and dont know where they went from there. hope this is useful in some way

Gillian Ward
26-11-2007, 8:43 AM
Thanks for reply Terri1.

I guess Ernest may well have been my fathers cousin. I am going to check this out with my cousin who may know a bit more.

M_Read
24-05-2009, 9:38 AM
I am searching for relatives of Elizabeth Adamson PARNABY nee KIDGELL. She married Thomas Henry Hebron PARNABY in Durham Parish Church in 1900. He was the son of Henry Hebron PARNABY and Robinna nee KNOX.
Elizabeth's parents were James John KIDGELL and Margaret A REMMER. Margaret was also supposed to have come from Durham.
Any relatives, please get in touch!
Melissa, Perth, Western Australia

dannington
29-07-2009, 10:24 AM
Hi,
My grandad's name was Parnaby and im trying to find out more about the histor of the name. Anyone that can shed any light on the name please get in touch.
He lived in Sunderland in the north east of england.

James Corps
23-08-2009, 4:19 PM
Parnaby query has reminded me that between 1970-1973 I was an insurance agent for Mrs Parnaby of Sadberge Co Durham. At the time Mr Parnaby had not been long dead.
His claim to fame was that when a tree was planted on the Village green a photograpgh was taken of the children and when the branches reached the edge of the green Mr Parnaby was the only one living. Mrs Parnaby lived to a great age and was most often located in her garden, even on wet days Jim Corps

Rjudith
22-03-2010, 12:36 PM
Hi I am not directly related to the Parnaby's but I have at least 55 in my tree from Sadberge, Durham through to Yorkshire 1740's. If anyone would like a list of names, DOB's etc I am happy to supply 'who' I have researched and what information I have I am more than happy share.
Judith

emmteeyess
03-04-2010, 8:14 AM
in 1983 i worked for the parnaby brothers in sunderland
they owned a pram and baby centre on hylton road,

3 years too late - and probably no help to anyone - but I went to Diamond Hall School in the 1950's with a PARNABY (can't even remember his christian name) and his parents owned and ran the shop you mention. I seem to remember they sold toy soldiers and farm animals etc and possibly bikes. I'm sure the pram and baby stuff was a later developement, but perhaps in those days it was only the toy soldiers and bikes that grabbed my attention!!
Cheers, MTS

Tricia Gordon
26-10-2010, 9:37 PM
Hi to all you Parnaby hunters. We are new to this site and are researching Parnaby's in Staindrop, County Durham and Yorkshire. We are also related to the Christopher who was married to Ann Hardy and would love to make contact with others. We have some info but are looking of more if anyone can help.

arthurk
30-10-2010, 9:50 AM
I knew I'd come across the name somewhere - it just took me a few days to work out where. I was searching for some METCALFE ancestors and had a look at some Metcalfe wills in the hope that they might mention someone I knew of.

No luck there, but I discovered that the sole beneficiary of the will of Elizabeth METCALFE, singlewoman of Ripon (proved 1856, Prerogative Court of York) was Margaret PARNABY, wife of William Parnaby, innkeeper of Richmond. One interesting feature was that in the grant of probate Margaret was originally described as daughter of Elizabeth Metcalfe, but this had been crossed out. According to parish registers Elizabeth did have an illegitimate daughter Margaret - and this is evidently what became of her.

Arthur

nimblejacks
27-02-2012, 11:04 PM
Judy i think i have a parnaby marrying a richard dealtrey also of raby where he was a whipper in (huntsman)on raby estate. will check details in the morning.

rwebb
14-08-2013, 1:05 PM
Hi
This is my first time so not sure if this is going to work but here goes!! I am searching for Annie Elozabeth Parnaby from South Sheilds area. She would be around 86 yrs old now if still alive. She worked as a house maid and I think she may have married at the age of 21. All her family were from this area. She gave birth to a boy (Michael Parnaby) when she was around the age of 16. Hoping to hear back from anyone who may know the family history. Thanks

Sue Mackay
14-08-2013, 1:22 PM
Hi
This is my first time so not sure if this is going to work but here goes!! I am searching for Annie Elozabeth Parnaby from South Sheilds area. She would be around 86 yrs old now if still alive. She worked as a house maid and I think she may have married at the age of 21. All her family were from this area. She gave birth to a boy (Michael Parnaby) when she was around the age of 16. Hoping to hear back from anyone who may know the family history. Thanks

Hallo, and welcome to BG. This is an old thread and many of the posters haven't visited for some years, but hopefully your post will have generated an e-mail to them. Otherwise you could try sending them a private message (click on their user name)

Please be aware that the AUP (linked from banner at foot of forum) does not permit the posting of details about living people, so if anyone has any information for you about Annie this must be sent by private message.

elparnaby
20-05-2014, 8:56 AM
Hi I know this post is old but the title grabbed me

Im a Parnaby and my paternal grandparents were originally from Sunderland. Robert Parnaby (twin of Martha Parnaby) was born in 1907 and brought up in Sunderland before moving to West Cumbria to work at Sellafield as a glass blower.

His wife Rhoda (nee Shanks) moved with them and they had four Children Brenda, Jean, Robert (Bob) and Colin who is my Dad. My Granda Bob was the lovliest man you'll ever meet and lived until the ripe old age of 99. He was the best :)

Nicole Genna
21-09-2014, 11:51 PM
I am researching a parnaby line from
Tow law durham, mostly my great auntie Gladys coulthard, who married Gordon parnaby son of a Sarah Ann parnaby. I don't know much but I seem to have accumulated quite a lot of letters and maybe even photos if I knew what they looked like! I can have
A look at another date for the direct line I just thought I would get myself out there :))

aden1967
26-07-2015, 10:45 PM
Sorry I know this is an old posting but I know of Parnabys in West Cornforth area which is near Ferryhill, County Durham.

telferr
27-03-2017, 7:51 AM
I am researching a book on the 1939 first-class cricket season ....Gillian Ward your father Alan played that season. Would it be possible to contact you for more details on him .... ?

Lesley Robertson
27-03-2017, 11:15 AM
It's more than 10 years since Gillian was here....