PDA

View Full Version : GEDCOM Files.

June
05-07-2005, 1:49 AM
I use Family Tree Maker for my Genealogy Programme and I was wondering if it is possible to create a GEDCOM file for just a portion of the family tree, rather than the whole of it.
June

Linda
05-07-2005, 2:11 AM
Yes, but the actual steps may depend upon the version that you have.

You have to go to a descendant view and choose the number of generations that you want to include, then if you have FTM 2005 go to File > Export File > Copy/Export Individuals in Descendant Tree and then Save As GEDCOM.

If I remember correctly, the older versions are similar in that you go to a descendant view and then save from there, but the actual menu options may be worded differently.

Linda

June
06-07-2005, 12:35 AM
Yes, but the actual steps may depend upon the version that you have.

You have to go to a descendant view and choose the number of generations that you want to include, then if you have FTM 2005 go to File > Export File > Copy/Export Individuals in Descendant Tree and then Save As GEDCOM.

If I remember correctly, the older versions are similar in that you go to a descendant view and then save from there, but the actual menu options may be worded differently.

Linda

Thank you for this information Linda, I have FTM Version 11, but if as you say it works with this also, I will try it out.

June

Clive Blackaby
06-07-2005, 7:49 PM
I think v 11 lets you create a gedcom for any tree diagram.
But another useful way is to go into custom reports and select the people you want [Contents --> Individuals to include in report]

then run the report and you can export the individuals in the report.

This is very handy if you want to export a group of people that FTM won't put on a single diagram - you can then use the gedcom file to produce an all-in-one tree.

June
07-07-2005, 1:19 AM
I think v 11 lets you create a gedcom for any tree diagram.
But another useful way is to go into custom reports and select the people you want [Contents --> Individuals to include in report]

then run the report and you can export the individuals in the report.

This is very handy if you want to export a group of people that FTM won't put on a single diagram - you can then use the gedcom file to produce an all-in-one tree.

I have tried both your suggestions and found that I could achieve what I wanted. I appreciate very much your kindness in responding to my question.

June