PDA

View Full Version : Thane/Thain in Swaffam

Phyl Stewart
04-07-2005, 12:32 AM
Hello All

I am looking for the parents of John Thain/Thane, born around 1776. According to the 1861 London census he was born in Diss, but he does not appear to be in the parish registers there.

I am hoping that he is the son of Henry Thane and Catherine Hall, who were married in Swaffam in 1775 and later moved to Diss. They had a daughter there in 1783 and died there in 1786 (Catherine) and 1804 (Henry).

Could someone with access to Swaffam registers please look to see if John was born there around 1776, and if they had any other children there?

Thanks in advance

Phyl

Geoffers
04-07-2005, 10:21 PM
I am looking for the parents of John Thain/Thane, born around 1776. According to the 1861 London census he was born in Diss, but he does not appear to be in the parish registers there.
Could someone with access to Swaffam registers please look to see if John was born there around 1776, and if they had any other children there?
I can't help with loking up the entries for you, but the NRO hold the registers and AT/BTs for Swaffham and should be able to provide one or the other for you on fiches, if you cannot get to Norwich. They may alternatively be able to provide printed copies of ATs.

In trying to locate the spread of a surname in an area, the 1798 Land Tax Returns (transcribed and indexed for the NFHS) is a very useful tool.

Geoffers

Pam Downes
04-07-2005, 11:12 PM
Hi Phyl,
Alternatively if you have an LDS FHC locally to you they can order in the films of the Swaffham PRs - plus lots more Swaffham-related items.
To find out your nearest LDS FHC
http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/FHC/frameset_fhc.asp
select relevant country, towns are then listed alphabetically
and to see the Swaffham items whch you can order
http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/FHLC/frameset_fhlc.asp
select place search, type Swaffham and then follow the links.

Pam Downes

Phyl Stewart
06-07-2005, 12:20 AM
Thanks to Geoffers and Pam for your suggestions.

I'm a bit far from the NRO (in NZ) but will contact them about Swaffham records. I had not thought of the Land Tax records - thanks for that.

Until then, I'll contact the FHC.

Phyl

Geoffers
06-07-2005, 8:58 AM
I'm a bit far from the NRO (in NZ) but will contact them about Swaffham records. I had not thought of the Land Tax records - thanks for that.
Distance is no real object these days, as mentioned by Pam, you should be able to hire film of the registers at one of the mormon record centres and the fiches sold by the NRO are not expensive.

Geoffers