PDA

View Full Version : Llanmadoc in the Gower Peninsula

Colin Rowledge
26-08-2011, 1:00 PM
Looking at a driving route from Swansea to Llanmadoc, the amount of driving time is about 25 minutes. Obviously, in 1912, there were no cars, or very few, in the village and if there was such a vehicle it would be beyond the budget of a General Labourer that was married with 9 children and was aged 34.

We know this man had a proper trade - he was a Mason. I also know that he was injured badly in accident at work while working as a Mason. This incident occurred in 1914. He fell 16 feet to the ground from a scaffold. It is obvious that he couldn't have been working in Llanmadoc and certainly, even if he was, there wasn't a hospital close by capable of caring for him. To me, the most likely place of work would be in Swansea and that the incident was at the Swansea Docks as it was being reinforced prior to the start of W.W.1.

He later returned to Llanmadoc in 1916 with his family now numbering 11 children and enlisted in the army. He was medically discharged as unfit for service in 1917 [after 5 months in the trenches in France and continued to live in Llanmadoc.

As can be noted from the above this family is well documented. Other threads on the family are still active on this forum, so further comments about on this thread are a duplication of what has previously been found.

What my purpose of this thread is to do is to find out - what was life like in small villages in the peninsula after the end of the war?

Thanks for reading and I look forward to responses along the lines I wish to take with this thread.

Colin