PDA

View Full Version : Police Records

RichardMarcJ
01-07-2005, 4:18 PM
I was wondering if there is some kind of list of police man who have served in the police force in Hertfordshire, namely in the town Hitchin or Berkhamstead. My great-great-great grandfather, his son in law my great-great grandfather, and my great-grandfather were all village policemen. The first two were policemen in Hitchin I believe, but I do believe that one of them at one point also lived in Berkhamstead. My great-grandfather was a policeman in Sharbrook, Bedfordshire. Here are their names and stats.

Great-great-great-grandfather
Noah Hunt
Born 1836
Watford, Herts
Lived in Hitchin, Herts

Great-great-grandfather
Harry Gravestock
Born 6 November 1868
Watford, Herts
Died 28 July 1948
Herts
Lived in Hitchin Herts

Great-grandfather
George Gravestock
Born 11 May 1899
Lilley, Herts
Died 2 June 1963
Clapham, Beds
Lived in Sharmbrook and Clapham, Bedfordshire

I am most interested in finding information on Noah Hunt as he is the one I have the least information. I'd appreciate if anyone could help.

Colin Moretti
01-07-2005, 8:11 PM
Why not try the County Archives? If they don't have the records they ought to know who does, if they exist.
Hertfordshire
http://www.hertsdirect.org/libsleisure/heritage1/HALS/
Bedfordshire
http://www.bedfordshire.gov.uk/archive

Colin

Ken Boyce
01-07-2005, 8:52 PM
I'm winging this from memory
There has been A Hertfordshire Constabulary since c1840
However, parts of Southern Herts were under the jurisdicition of the Metropolitan Police at least in the 1930-60s when I lived and worked there.

I suggest you first determine what Force the districts of interest fell under at the time You may be able to ascertain this by checking online into the historic Divisions of the Metropolitan Police (try Googlie) which I know are accessible

There is also a web site for the Herts Constablary but I think you may do better through local Archives for Watford and Hitchin

Having then established the appropriate police force you should stand a better chance of tracing individuals

RichardMarcJ
03-07-2005, 3:09 PM
My grandma was going through her father's papers and found his police records. He actually joined the London Metropolitan police force in 1921 and retired with a pension in 1932 at the age of 33 due to "ill health." His conduct was as they said "explorary." Apparently, my great-grandfather was a diabetic and suffered from problems with his legs. I think that his health problems might be due to the fact that his parents were first cousins. Maybe, maybe not. After he retired from the police, he opened a pub in Bedfordshire. I was quite interested to see that he had to retire so early.

AlgarvePete
13-07-2005, 2:02 PM
You asked for more information on Noah Hunt so here are the details that I have found:
In 1861 Noah was living at The Rookery,Oxhey with first wife Ellen Harris(married Kings Norton,Birmingham quarter ending June 1845) and two children,Ellen born Birmingham 1858 and Thomas Henry born 1860 also Birmingham.The Rookery was a depressed area on the outskirts of Watford and the majority of the inhabitants worked in the silk mill there.Noah's occupation is entered as labourer,age 26 and place of birth Watford.
1871 does not appear in a census.
1881 Noah is a police constable in Bovingdon,Herts.Living with new wife Emma Dean(born Berkhampstead circa 1841 married Berkhampstead quarter ending June 1869) and 7 new children:
Alfred born 1867 Berkhampstead
Emma 1870 "
Fanny 1873 Weston
Kate 1875 Stevenage
John 1876 Hemel Hempstead
Rose 1878 "
Flora 1881 Bovingdon
1891 still living in Bovingdon with wife and family now entered as ex police constable age 55.
1892 Noah's death is entered quarter ending June 1892 Hemel Hempstead.
I am currently searching the 1841 to see if I can find Noah with parents and will keep you updated.Pete

RichardMarcJ
13-07-2005, 4:26 PM
Thank you so much. That is really quite interesting. I had never heard that Noah married twice. Did you find any record of his first wife's death? I'm assuming that she died and, they didn't divorce.

RichardMarcJ
13-07-2005, 4:35 PM
My records show two older children of Noah and Emma:

Eliza Hunt b. 1862 Matford, Herts
Harriet Hunt b. 1867 Great Berkhamstead, Herts

A ways back when I was looking through the census myself, I found that the person who typed his census record made a typo and wrote his name down as Neal, but when I looked the original copy it said Noah. Perhaps that was in the 1871 census?

AlgarvePete
13-07-2005, 4:36 PM
How many generations would you like?
In 1841 Noah is living with his parents and siblings at The Rookery,Oxhey.
Henry Hunt 35 labourer
Mary Ann 34
Henry 9
Noah 6
Emma 4
Sarah 1
In 1861 Henry age 55 is living next door to son Noah at The Rookery,and has 2 more children,Mary Ann 19 and Thomas 18 both working as silk winders in the mill.
All the following are from the IGI.
Henry Hunt christianed St Mary's,Watford 28/12/1806.Father William,mother Elizabeth,married Mary Ann Penny,Rickmansworth 13/11/1826.
William Hunt christianed St Mary's,Watford 14/2/1768.Father John,mother Elizabeth,married Elizabeth Warrel,Watford 20/11/1790.
John Hunt christianed St Mary's,Watford 9/8/1732.Father Samuel,mother Rebecca,married Elizabeth Edmunds,Watford 29/9/1759.
Samuel Hunt christianed St Mary's,Watford 26/2/1710.Father John,mother Jane,married Rebecca Fells,Watford 21/10/1731.
John Hunt(your 8xg grandfather) married Jane Seabrook 8/5/1710 Watford.Samuel must have been born out of wedlock.
That should keep you going for a while,Pete

RichardMarcJ
13-07-2005, 4:39 PM
Wow! That is amazing. I really can't thank you enough. I have relatives back in England who will be really interested in hearing all this.

AlgarvePete
13-07-2005, 4:58 PM
And here is Noah in the 1871 wrongly transcribed as Neal as you said.
The Village,Sandridge,Herts
Noah Hunt 35 police officer born Watford
Emma 30 born Berkhampstead
Ellen 14 born Birmingham
Thomas 11 "
Eliza 9 born Watford
Harriet 8 born Berkhampstead
Alfred 4 "
Emma 1 "
Walter Dean 10 Step son "
Regards,Pete