PDA

View Full Version : Canadian headstone project

susan-y
12-08-2011, 4:21 PM
This is overall a good site, but still in its early stages. Most of the photographs are fairly clear and they all include transcriptions of the engraving on the tombstones. In some cases, the submitter has added a bit of family information... watch out for this! Just out of curiousity I looked up my paternal grandparent's headstone as I have my own photos of it. Surprise! At the bottom of the photo and transcription is a footnote added by perhaps the photographer saying my grandfather, James, is the son of Thomas and Jennie Thompson.
Well, the Thomas bit is right..lucky for him!, but I have no idea where Jennie came from!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! As my grandfather is buried in BC and was born in Ont. I have no idea why this person was assuming they knew who he was descended from!
The poor same mis-named great grandmother, Harriet, was also incorrectly identified in a footnote on her family tombstone...they used the wrong spelling of her maiden name from her marriage registration to identify her. I sent an email and it appears to have been corrected so hopefully Jennie can be dropped from the family tree or I shall have to start searching all over again.:tt2:
In conclusion...... good site, great to see photos, but watch those footnotes ..they could send you off on a wild goose chase.....:frown2:
You can print the photos for free.........
http://
canadianheadstones.com

Sue

susan-y
14-08-2011, 1:52 AM
:hurray:
What great people at the site... corrections are already made in less than 24 hours.
Thank you notes have been sent!
Sue

Waitabit
14-08-2011, 2:08 AM
Thanks for posting Sue, I started to have a Lookee yesterday but was diverted..again! Do you know if these are just recent photos sent in by people or do they include older photos already on other sites?