PDA

View Full Version : 1888-89 Australasian Federal directory

Hugh Thompson
12-08-2011, 10:13 AM
I found this very interesing but huge! book for Australian and New Zealand researchers at the Internet Archives,(address below)
J W F Rogers 1888-89 Australasian Federal directory for Australia, New Zealand, Tasmania, Norfolk Island, New Guinea and Fiji, there's over one hundred thousand addresses of firms, professional men, master tradesmen, plus Bank, Ecclesiastical, Educational, Government, Hotel, Insurance, Landholders, Legal, Medical, Mining and Press directories, in all about 620 pages, plus it's alphabetical and well indexed, whoever compiled it all must have gone totally batty by the time it was finished!!.
Hugh.

http://www.archive.org/details/australasianfede00melbuoft

JillianR
12-08-2011, 11:17 AM
Thanks Hugh. That's a very interesting site, I directed my husband to it once and he immediately found the burlesque videos.

Hugh Thompson
12-08-2011, 10:54 PM
Thanks Jillian, I think I should have placed this in the Australian and New Zealand forum, it's an amazing book, and how did I miss the Burlesque?:arf::arf:
Hugh.

Philippa_Harvey
12-08-2011, 11:07 PM
Hugh, that's fantastic.

Did you notice by the way that there are a number of formats available for downloading the book onto e-readers? Great move. I'll be adding this site to my favourites for future reference. Who knows what they'll come up with given time and opportunity.

Philippa
|book2|

Hugh Thompson
13-08-2011, 11:29 AM
Thanks Philippa, the only problem with downloading this book and then using Adobe to search, is that it's so big that you need a huge amount of ram in your computer otherwise it crashes:crazy:, we tested it and found that we were up to about three gigs and it had only searched about four hundred pages, not even half way through the book:yikes:
Hugh.

Philippa_Harvey
13-08-2011, 12:41 PM
Well Hugh, this little machine of mine doesn't have massive amounts of RAM, just stock standard as manufactured. What a pity. In the past I've been known to double the RAM supplied but not in this one for some unknown reason - must be something to do with age I think. :confused5:

Still, if they have this book then the odds are there will be more, so hope still reigns supreme!!

I'll keep the site anyway and just check back occasionally to see if they have any (smaller) gems to download.

Philippa

Mallyjam
16-08-2011, 2:56 AM
Can't wait to have a look through it. Many thanks for the link, Hugh.

spison
16-08-2011, 10:57 PM
When I return from OS Hugh I will attack this item with gusto. Thanks!
Jane

Hugh Thompson
16-08-2011, 11:54 PM
Thanks Mallyjam and Jane, there's so many different directories in this book that I keep getting lost, definitely one for us antipodeans.
Hugh.

phoebefalange
17-08-2011, 10:01 AM
thanks alot for the information regarding the site. i had some mate looking for something which he was able to locate within that book, so cheers for that!

Hugh Thompson
17-08-2011, 12:12 PM
I'm glad that it helped you Phoebe.
Hugh.
P.s. I've experimented and it reads fine with Foxit Reader and Adobe Reader.