PDA

View Full Version : where do i go from here

lowestoft-lass
30-06-2005, 12:53 PM
im a bit stuck, i sent for a marriage cert so i could find out the ages, to go on and find births. BUT on the cert it just says FULL for both of them and residence says bethnal green.
the big thing is i have a GEORGE SPICER (1 of lots) who married a ANN DESMOND but i cant find them together on any census returns, that why i sent for cert. they married in 1867. where do i go from here? please help.

Geoffers
30-06-2005, 1:57 PM
i sent for a marriage cert so i could find out the ages, to go on and find births. BUT on the cert it just says FULL for both of them and residence says bethnal green. the big thing is i have a GEORGE SPICER (1 of lots) who married a ANN DESMOND but i cant find them together on any census returns, that why i sent for cert. they married in 1867. where do i go from here? please help.
Annoying when you get 'full age' but at least you know that they were 21 or over. if father's are named in the certificate you might try the 1851 census to see if your bride and groom were living in their respective homes.

Do you know when their first child was born? Try the 1871 census if they had a child alive then.

Who were the witnesses to the marriage? Any of them a SPCIER or DESMOND who you might try to trace.

Did he have an occupation for which an enlistment form might survive which records his date and place of birth?

Geoffers

lowestoft-lass
30-06-2005, 4:24 PM
so would full age mean 21 or over?

im not sure when first child was born ,i only know that thier son GEORGE EDMOND SPICER was born 1970. so they would have been married 3 years.

the witnesses to the wedding were not spicer or desmond.

george was a carmen like his father

Geoffers
30-06-2005, 10:30 PM
so would full age mean 21 or over?
Yes

im not sure when first child was born ,i only know that thier son GEORGE EDMOND SPICER was born 1970. so they would have been married 3 years. george was a carmen like his father
Check the parish registers for the area where George Edmond SPICER was born, to see if he was baptised. Then keep going for a couple more years looking for the baptism of any subsequent children. If you're lucky enough to find more children there, then there's a fair chance that you might find them in the same area in the 1871 census.

Geoffers

lowestoft-lass
01-07-2005, 11:09 AM
he was born in ST GEORGE IN THE EAST sub-district of SAINT PAUL in county of middlesex.
is there some where i can buy the parish records on cd? if so what price would i be looking at?
i really would love to have them.
it wouldnt do my house work much good but a spotless house is a sign of a wasted life (so ive been told).

Colin Moretti
01-07-2005, 8:20 PM
The East of London FHS covers St George in the East:
http://www.eolfhs.org.uk/eolintro.htm
Try them, but I don't guarantee they can help.

Otherwise a visit to the London Metropolitan Archives

http://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/Corporation/leisure_heritage/libraries_archives_museums_galleries/JAS/lma/lma.htm

Colin