PDA

View Full Version : Brownlow Hill Liverpool Workhouse address

pam12
30-06-2005, 11:30 AM
Hi
Would anyone know how l can find out the number of the Brownlow Hill workhouse.
My father was born at 1449 Brownlow Hill and his fathers address was Idris Terrace. Parents were married 9 years before and a long time after.
lt's confusing why at this time they were living apart!! unless my grandmother had gone into the workhouse hospital if this turns out to be the address of the workhouse.
Please help.
Regards Pam

uksearch
30-06-2005, 1:02 PM
I Googled...

The address of the workhouse was 144a Brownlow Hill.

UK

pam12
30-06-2005, 1:41 PM
Hi
Wow that was quick. l only went for lunch.
Thankyou so much for the address number.
l'm left with yet another puzzle as to why my dad was born in Brownlow hill. At least l know he wasn't born in the workhouse.
Thanks again.
Regards Pam

Wirral
30-06-2005, 5:08 PM
The numbers in Brownlow Hill only go up to 231, so 1449 is probably a miss-reading of 144a. In the 30s/40s, the workhouse was owned by a Roman Catholic group.
In the 1940 Gore's directory there was in Brownlow Hill:
144 Brown B., dairy
146 The Catholic Benefit & Thrift Society, C.E.Lynch, secretary
150 Father Berry's Home for Friendless Catholic Children, Rev. E. Bennett, administrator
150 Liverpool Catholic Children's Society
150 Our Ladies Home for Homeless Babies
150 St Vincent de Paul's Catholic Home for Working Boys
150 Liverpool Catholic Children's Protection Society

pam12
30-06-2005, 7:58 PM
My dad was born 1910. The number was on his birth certificate, he was registered by his mother Mary C. Logan nee Maguire. They had married in 1901 and had children before and after my dad. Under address of father it gave Idris Terrace.
l'm still confused!!

Wirral
30-06-2005, 10:04 PM
Now found that the workhouse was demolished in 1931 to make way for the roman catholic cathedral. Liverpool Record Ofice hold the workhouse records from 1848 - 1928. However, there may be a 100year bar on access.

pam12
01-07-2005, 9:41 AM
Hi Wirral
Thanks for that info.
l did know the workhouse was demolished but not when.
Typical about the 100 year wait, another 34yrs to go then.
Regards Pam

uksearch
01-07-2005, 12:09 PM
My dad was born 1910. The number was on his birth certificate, he was registered by his mother Mary C. Logan nee Maguire. They had married in 1901 and had children before and after my dad. Under address of father it gave Idris Terrace.
l'm still confused!!
Maybe there were complications with the birth...she might have been in the workhouse infirmary...if it had one.

UK

peter.higginbotham
01-07-2005, 4:52 PM
Hi Pam,
after 1904, local registrars were instructed not to record a place of birth that indicated a workhouse, in case this proved detrimental to the child in later life. Instead, ordinary street addresses were used instead - often these were semi-fictitious as I think was probably the case here - the ending "a" often appears in such adddresses. In other words, 144a Brownlow Hill was not actually the workhouse's address (workhouses were big enough not to need an address as such), but the pseudo-address used on birth certificates for children born there.
All best wishes,

pam12
01-07-2005, 5:43 PM
Hi Uk and Peter
The workhouse did have an infirmary the wards etc were designed (l think) on the suggestions of no other than Florence nightingale.
Oh well back to the assumption he was born in the workhouse!! Still lt's not all bad at least l have an address for his birth which l know l should be gratefull of.
Thanks for all your help l really do appreciate it.
Warm regards Pam

patsy31
09-07-2005, 4:06 PM
Hi
You shouldn't worry too much about a relative having been born in a workhouse. They were often the best hospital available and it didn't necessarily mean that the mother was an inmate of the workhouse.

kymberlynn
06-10-2010, 1:07 PM
what happens if your ancestor is born in brownlow hill and it has no number ? although the mother was a "spinster" could my ancestor have been born in the workhouse? this is in 1819.

Peter Goodey
06-10-2010, 4:06 PM
It's rare to find a street number in an 1819 register. See earlier messages, the instruction not to explicitly state "workhouse" was not issued until 1904 and it was to registrars, which didn't exist in 1819.

In 1819 I would normally expect an abode of "workhouse" or something similar however you can make a judgement by looking at neighbouring register entries. Are there several adjacent entries stating abodes of "Brownlow Hill"? If so then perhaps it does mean "workhouse". Otherwise it probably doesn't.

kymberlynn
07-10-2010, 5:13 PM
thank you! i never thought of looking at other neighbouring entries.