PDA

View Full Version : Marriage at St Marylebone - GOZRA

FredP
30-06-2005, 10:46 AM
On 24th March 1817, according to I.G.I., BENJAMIN COSSING was married to HANNAH GOZRA at St Marylebone.
I have been unable to find any other reference anywhere to such a name, and think it may be a mis-transcription.
Can anyone suggest a more likely reading? Or let me know where other examples of that name may be found?
Many thanks FredP.

Betty Willson
01-07-2005, 5:53 AM
I also have a marriage at St. Marylebonne that I don't know how to view the record of. My g.g. grandparents Robert Nelhams and Mary Walthew were married there in 1926 according to Pallet's Marriage List. Were there a lot of different churches there? Do you know? I've been looking for this marriage for years. As far as I know it doesn't appear anywhere except on this list. Betty Willson

Betty Willson
01-07-2005, 5:55 AM
I'm sorry I typed 1926 instead of 1826. Definately 1826. Betty Willsob

FredP
01-07-2005, 9:34 PM
Thank you.
I will go to London Metropolitan Archives when I can next get to London.
FredP.

Betty Willson
02-07-2005, 5:15 AM
Thanks for the information about St. Mary, Bryanston Square. Apologies to Fred who started this thread for me honing in on his space. I have been looking for this marriage of Robert Nelhams and Mary Walthew for at least 2 years. I live in Australia (Brisbane) and yes I do depend on the LDS Family research Centre near to where I live. I've already had one tape of All Souls Parish Records which didn't have this marriage and have now ordered another, a couple of weeks ago but judging by your reply, I've again ordered the wrong one. I was over the moon when a friend found the marriage on Pallots list but as pallots list seems to only show 2 slips of paper, one with the word Nelhams and the other with Walthew, I am eager to sight the actual record. Thanks again, Betty Willson

Betty Willson
03-07-2005, 5:47 AM
Thanks again, I used the term "friend" very loosly when I said "a friend" found my g.g. grandparents marriage on Pallots list. I don't even know her name but she was just trying to help. She found the marriage on the Ancestry site. I am really so stupid that people feel sorry for me. I'm in awe of Venus Williams and her racquet wielding ability. I was always absolutely useless at sport too but I'm old now so that doesn't really matter but "Yes" I've still got strength enough to wield a frying pan. Betty W.

babette
13-12-2005, 1:24 PM
On 24th March 1817, according to I.G.I., BENJAMIN COSSING was married to HANNAH GOZRA at St Marylebone.
I have been unable to find any other reference anywhere to such a name, and think it may be a mis-transcription.
Can anyone suggest a more likely reading? Or let me know where other examples of that name may be found?
Many thanks FredP.
Fred,

I am also looking for as much information I can find on the Gozra name. Maybe you can help. For the record my maiden name is Gozra. I can only go back with the name to my father. Thanks Babette.

FredP
20-12-2005, 7:54 PM
Babette,

I went to the London Metropolitan Archives as suggested and looked up the reference X023/054 as suggested on the St Marylebone Jan 1817 - Dec 1820 Marriages on film.

It appeared that the husband's name was BENJAMIN COPPING, not COSSING, so was unlikely to be the BENJAMIN HOWARD COZENS I was looking for.

I made a note 'the bride's odd name (as I saw it) is possibly Indian. Father was _____GOZRA S****, something like SMITH but possibly SINGH'.