PDA

View Full Version : Missen surname

Christine Chisholm
29-06-2005, 1:50 AM
Hi!

I'm trying to find out some information on my grandfather's background.

His name was William Missen, born 1897 in Yorkshire I believe. He was in the battle of the Somme and married my grandmother(Rachel Thomas) in 1918.

Their daughter, my mother was born in Middlesbrough in 1921. I believe his mother's name was Harriett and his father was Jim. Can anyone help me??
Regards, Christine

Trish
29-06-2005, 4:08 AM
Christine,

Perhaps. Take a look at the 1901 census. There's a family in Yorkshire named MISSEN which looks like a match for your grandfather and his parents.

They are living at 30 Forest Place, Normanby, Yorkshire. Father James is 37, a Labourer in an Iron Works, born in Weston Colville, Cambridgeshire. Mother Harriet is 42 and born in Cowlinge, Suffolk.

Children are:
-- Edith, 13, born in Dungate Cambridgeshire
-- John, 11, born in North Ormesby, Yorkshire
-- Hettie, 9, born in North Ormesby
-- James, 6, North Ormesby
-- Billy, 4, North Ormesby
-- Edward, 1, North Ormesby

Source information: RG12/4585 Folio 128 Page 41

You should be able to verify William's parents' names by ordering your grandfather's birth certificate. Reference info:

Name: MISSEN, William
Record Type: Birth
Quarter: June
Year: 1897
District: Middlesbrough [1875-1968]
County: Co. Durham North Riding of Yorkshire
Volume: 9d
Page: 596

I'll see if I can locate the MISSEN family in the 1891 census...

Hope this helps,
Trish

Trish
29-06-2005, 4:15 AM
Christine,

Apologies for the repeating text in my previous message...
Here's the MISSEN family in 1891:

Address: 84 Pierson St., Ormesby, Yorkshire
James, 27, born Weston Colville, Cambridgeshire, General Labourer
Harriet, 32, born Cowlinge, Suffolk
Edith M. E., 3, born Dunegate, Cambridgeshire
John R., 1, born South Bank, Yorkshire

RG12/4018 Folio 68 Page 23

Trish

Trish
29-06-2005, 4:35 AM
Christine,

Have a look at the 1881 census -- it gives you James's parents/William's grandparents. [The 1881 census is available for free at www.familysearch.org (http://www.familysearch.org).] James is living in Weston Colville with his parents, John and Lydia, and 4 brothers and sisters.

Source info: RG11/1673 Folio 66 Page 17

The following civil registration index entry may be the record of James's marriage to Harriett but, unfortunately, his is the sole name on the page. You'd have to order the marriage certificate to see the name of his bride and, possibly, if it's the right James, find out Harriet's maiden name.

Name: MISSEN, James
Record Type: Marriages
Quarter: June
Year: 1887
District: Linton (includes Weston Colville)
County: Cambridgeshire Essex
Volume: 3b
Page: 879

Trish

Trish
29-06-2005, 4:58 AM
Christine,

John and Lydia MISSEN are in the 1871 census. They are living on Common Road in Weston Colville:

John, 45, born Weston Colville Agr Labr
Lydia, 35, born West Wickham
Mary Ann, 13 born Weston Colville Scholar
Hester, 11, born Weston Colville Scholar
Edward, 10, born Weston Colville Scholar
Richard, 8, born Weston Colville Scholar
James, 6, born Weston Colville Scholar
Sarah Ann, 4, born Weston Colville Scholar
Belenia or Belmia, 3, born Weston Colville
Ellen, 1, born Weston Colville

Source info: RG10/1593 Folio 68 Page 12

Trish

Trish
29-06-2005, 5:11 AM
Christine,

John and Lydia in the 1861 census -- with an older daughter and John's mother -- living on Main St.:

John, 37, born Weston Colville Ag Lab
Lydia, 26, born West Wickham
Mahala, 4, born Weston Colville
Mary, 3, born Weston Colville
Esther, 1, born Weston Colville
Edmond, 6 mo, born Weston Colville
Judith, 60, Mother, born Weston Colville

Next door to John and Lydia -- address is given as "Fox & Hounds" -- is another MISSEN couple:

James, 65, born Weston Colville Victualler
Mary, 70, Wife, Weston Colville
Sarah Diss (?), 13, born Cartton House Servant

Source Information: RG9/1030 Folio 72 Page 19

I think that's about it!

Trish

Betty Willson
01-07-2005, 6:17 AM
I have a John Missen born Weston Colville, 1757 died there 1819 amongst my ancestors. He married Mary Andrews 1783. Betty Willson

Christine Chisholm
05-01-2009, 8:14 PM
Hi Trish!

You have been most helpful. Thanks so much! For some reason I am not having the luck you did with family search.com. These registration numbers you give me E,g.
rg12/4585 folio 128 p44. Where do you input them? Where do I go to use them?
Christine Chisholm e-mail pisces (at) amtelecom (dot) net
Tobermory, Ontario, Canada

Trish
10-01-2009, 2:43 PM
Hi Trish!

You have been most helpful. Thanks so much! For some reason I am not having the luck you did with family search.com. These registration numbers you give me E,g.
rg12/4585 folio 128 p44. Where do you input them? Where do I go to use them?
Christine Chisholm e-mail pisces (at) amtelecom (dot) net
Tobermory, Ontario, CanadaHmmm... I just tried to find the info again. I've been away from this [family tree research] for a little while, Christine but I could swear that it once was possible to get more free 1901 census info than it is now.

I think you may have to get a subscription or buy credits on one of the fee-based sites to do your own research. If you go to 1901censusonline.com, you should see links to a whole slew of these sites at the bottom of the home page.

Or... continue asking for help here on B-G... :).

Trish

V Germain
12-04-2010, 1:48 PM
Please also bear in mind that MISSEN is often a corruption of MIZON/MISON

Betty Willson
13-04-2010, 5:36 AM
I have distant ancestors by the name of Missen and have just received an email from B G Forums regarding the name Missen. I have recently been unable to access B G Forums. I do not understand why. I would like to remain a member but do not know what to do in this regard. Betty Willson

Procat
13-04-2010, 5:47 AM
I have distant ancestors by the name of Missen and have just received an email from B G Forums regarding the name Missen. I have recently been unable to access B G Forums. I do not understand why. I would like to remain a member but do not know what to do in this regard. Betty Willson

Hi Betty,

You are still a member so there is no need to worry.

Perhaps this (http://www.british-genealogy.com/forums/showthread.php?58396-Brit-Gen-Access) thread will explain your recent problems.

garstonite
15-04-2010, 7:51 AM
might I suggest an administrator remove Christines e-mail address and anyone who wishes to contact her personally should PM Christine......allan