PDA

View Full Version : Accident circa 1938/9 in Edinburgh

Tinker
08-07-2011, 7:31 PM
What are the chances of me being able to find details of an accident in which my gran's mother, Margaret Clark MacGregor nee Millar, sustained injuries from which she never recovered? Up to now I've never had much luck searching the online newspaper archive, and this may be a rather obscure incident. The info I have is that she stepped off a pavement in Edinburgh and was knocked down by a car. I think the injuries may have been to her head, as her husband, John, mentioned that "the Doctor said there was no hope of mental recovery," in a letter he wrote to his daughters informing them of her death. She died on 30th December 1940, in a nursing home in Melrose. The letter makes for very sad reading, and it would be good to find out exactly what happened, as it's clear from what he wrote that John loved Margaret deeply, even though he was very stoical about her death.

Richard1955
08-07-2011, 9:40 PM
I'm sure the Edinburgh Library would have newspapers that may have the story.
Perhaps a few emails or phone calls to them might get some help.

Tinker
09-07-2011, 8:47 AM
Thanks Richard. I might have another crack at searching the Times/Gale online site and if I get no joy, will see if I can dig up contact details for the Edinburgh library.

Kerrywood
09-07-2011, 8:56 AM
Have you tried The Scotsman archive? Free thumbnails, full details on subscription (including a 24 hour pass).

http://
archive.scotsman.com/

Tinker
09-07-2011, 9:40 AM
Thank you, Kerrywood, I will have a look at that shortly.

Tinker
10-07-2011, 7:50 AM
As I suspected, I didn't have much joy with the Times/Gale Archives but the Scotsman looked very promising so may tackle that when I get the opportunity. I'm rather tempted to go for the month's pass that's currently on offer for the price of a week's, and search for a number of other rellies at the same time.

Mary Young
10-07-2011, 5:33 PM
Sorry to say, I found nothing in The Scotsman archive for the words accident AND mcgregor between dates 1/1/1938-1/1/1940.

Tinker
10-07-2011, 6:54 PM
Thank you once again, Mary. You've saved me a fruitless search, although I may well get a pass so that I can have a look for other family members. I've just discovered that Catherine Millar, sister of Margaret, married in 1900 in Edinburgh, and would love to pick up any info about William Taylor, Rankine Forrest and Patrick Watson MacGregor, Margaret's brothers-in-law.