PDA

View Full Version : Rootsmagic Essentials

Rove
03-07-2011, 12:44 AM
I've just downloaded the free Rootsmagic Essentials program

Is it possible to add your photos in this program

Also, have some of you who used the free program later found out that you just had to upgrade to the Full Version program.

Margaret08
03-07-2011, 10:35 AM
Hello Rove, According to the blurb on the RootsMagic web site yes it is. I don't use the free version but on the UK paid for version you click on the camera icon and take it from there. The Forum on the USA site is always very helpful, click on Message Boards under the internet button on the main screens and you can join from there.

Hope that this helps.

Margaret.

pattenwalsh
03-07-2011, 3:42 PM
Yes I have the free version on one machine and the paid for version on another.You can add pictures ,sounds,video on both versions.

mfwebb
04-07-2011, 10:46 AM
Sorry -- I can't help on the specific question.

I have tested RootsMagic Essentials (in a very limited way) and was impressed with it. The main attraction for me is that it can be installed on and run from a USB stick. The interface appears very user friendly. I was considering changing from Brother's Keeper, which I have used for 15 years, but when I imported my data via GedCom from BK into RM I found that the sources did not transfer as I would have liked and it would have meant much "tidying up" of the entries to get back to what I have in BK. So I decided to stick with what has served me well for 15 years.

I don't know whether this is a "fault" in RM or BK, or whether there are similar difficulties in transferring data via GedCom between programmes generally.

As I have no pressing need to change I will stay as I am, but if I was forced to change I would go with RM.

Rove
04-07-2011, 10:33 PM
Thanks Malcolm

Like you, I've been with BK for many years and was happy with the old setup, like 5.2 program.
A few years back when I transferred the program from one computer to another something went wrong and after trying to sort out the fault without any success, I cooled off BK.
After I upgraded the program I settled back into it. Not exactly 100% happy with it but I'll stick to it. When I used Gedcom from BK to RM I did strike some errors so I cancelled the first application and did a 2nd try which worked out OK.

I think I'll concentrate working on both.