PDA

View Full Version : Where do I start?...

L Murphy
24-06-2011, 2:13 PM
Hi all,
My father was born in 1931 and went in the RAF for his National Service aprox. 1952 when he was 21. He first of all was allowed to finish his apprenticeship in painting and decorating then go in the RAF.

I have no family to ask so I don't have a clue where to start looking for any records etc.
Will I find it difficult to search seeing as I have little information to go with?

Has anyone got any ideas where to search?
Thanks, Lynn

L Murphy
24-06-2011, 2:37 PM
I forgot to say that I have a photo of him with a friend outside a building called "Thompson Block".

Is that any help guys?

Procat
24-06-2011, 2:50 PM
Hi,

Can you please be more specific as to what information you are looking for?

If it is his service records you could try Veterans.U (http://www.veterans-uk.info/service_records/raf.html)K - but take note of the requirements.

L Murphy
24-06-2011, 3:00 PM
Hello Procat,

I'm really interested in the place where he was stationed and maybe a photo of the place. The information would be nice to place in my family tree documents. I think that would be sufficient info. I'm not sure if I would be lucky enough to find his service records.

Lynn

Lynn

Procat
24-06-2011, 3:08 PM
Hello Procat,

I'm really interested in the place where he was stationed and maybe a photo of the place. The information would be nice to place in my family tree documents. I think that would be sufficient info. I'm not sure if I would be lucky enough to find his service records.

Lynn

Lynn

I doubt that there would be a problem finding his service records given the time frame. If you can meet the requirements to access them as per the link you should be O.K.

it is possible that a forum member may recognise the location and can provide assistance about obtaining photos.

L Murphy
24-06-2011, 3:12 PM
I will look at Veterans.UK like you suggested and try there first.

Thanks, Lynn

malcolm99
24-06-2011, 10:13 PM
I forgot to say that I have a photo of him with a friend outside a building called "Thompson Block".

Google searches show that there were “Thompson Blocks” at, at least, RAF Cosford (near Wolverhampton) , RAF Turnhouse (Edinburgh) , RAF Locking (Weston-super-Mare). Both Cosford and Locking were quite important places for training new ‘recruits’ and so there’s a good chance the photo was taken at one of them.

L Murphy
25-06-2011, 7:14 AM
I will search at those places mentioned and see where I get.
Thanks, Lynn