PDA

View Full Version : Help with Tanner family please

slewis
21-06-2011, 1:34 PM
Hi
I am looking for infomation on the Tanner family, head John Tanner born abt 1823 Glasgow, I believe he was a Blacksmith, his wife was Elizabeth Tanner nee Sunter abt 1827 ?.
I only know of one child for sure, James born abt 1854 Glasgow, all I know about James is that he married a girl from Manchester her name was Alice Singleton, born abt 1857 Manchester the marriage took place in Glasgow on 18 July 1874 that is how we have his parents name from the wedding certifficate.
James and Elizabeth had 2children born in Scotland Elizabeth abt 1875 and James abt Naborn street, 1877 Gorbals Scotland, then the family moved to Liverpool.
If any one can help with infomation on John Tanner and his wife Elizabeth, like marriage, any other children, or information on James I would really appreciate any help you can give .
Kind regards sue

olliecat
21-06-2011, 3:30 PM
I am looking for infomation on the Tanner family, head John Tanner born abt 1823 Glasgow, I believe he was a Blacksmith, his wife was Elizabeth Tanner nee Sunter abt 1827 ?.

I don't know if you've seen this but there's a tree for John Tanner and Elizabeth Sunter on Rootsweb...

http://
wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=dovey-mountain&id=I0715

I only know of one child for sure, James born abt 1854 Glasgow, all I know about James is that he married a girl from Manchester her name was Alice Singleton, born abt 1857 Manchester the marriage took place in Glasgow on 18 July 1874 that is how we have his parents name from the wedding certifficate.

Where was James's birth place recorded - was it on his marriage certificate? Also, have you managed to find James Tanner in the census before his marriage to Alice?

Coromandel
21-06-2011, 4:38 PM
I don't know if you've seen this but there's a tree for John Tanner and Elizabeth Sunter on Rootsweb

According to that tree, James Tanner had two younger brothers, Alexander and Francis. The source of this info is not stated. Interestingly, though, the IGI has a couple of extracted entries for sons of a William Tanner and Elizabeth Sunter:

Alexander Sunter Tanner baptised 1 April 1858 Edinburgh
Francis Tanner baptised 7 August 1859 Edinburgh

Of course this may be where the tree owner got the info in the first place, so it doesn't prove anything!

olliecat
21-06-2011, 4:55 PM
Alexander Sunter Tanner baptised 1 April 1858 Edinburgh
Francis Tanner baptised 7 August 1859 Edinburgh

Saw those, but the best I can find in the census at this moment is ...

1871: Parish: Glasgow Govan; ED: 7; Page: 19 (care of the GRO for Scotland)
139 So Wellington Str, Glasgow
Elizabeth Tanner, 41, head, fish monger, Colyuanker Fifeshire
James Tanner, 16, son, lumspie engineer, Colyuanker Fifeshire
Francis Tanner, 10, son, Edinburgh
William Sernter, 30, boarder, seaman, Colyuanker Fifeshire
Samuel Whitten, 23, visitor, cuddler, Muirkirk Ayrshire

It just occurred to me that the surname of the boarder SERNTER is pretty close to SUNTER. I can only view the census transcription so I can't say what the surname looks like on the image.

Coromandel
21-06-2011, 5:03 PM
Samuel Whitten, 23, visitor, cuddler, Muirkirk Ayrshire

Did he get paid for giving cuddles? |hug|

Sue Mackay
21-06-2011, 5:08 PM
1871 Census: 139 South Wellington Street, Govan, Glasgow (ED7 page 19)

Elizabeth TANNER widow 41 Fishmonger b Fifeshire ?Colquenter?
James TANNER son 16 Locomotive Engineer b Fifeshire ?Colquenter?
Francis TANNER son 10 b Edinburgh
William SUNTER brother unm 38? Seaman b Fifeshire ?Colquenter?

IGI indicates birthplace should be Kilconquhar, Fife

1861 census: 30 Princess Street, Glasgow St.Mary ED1 page 18

William TANNER lodger 46 Razor Stap maker b Ireland
Elizabeth wife 40 b Fyfeshire, Killconquer
James 6 b Fyfeshire, Killconquer
Alexander 4 b Ediburgh
Francis 1 b Edinburgh

Sue Mackay
21-06-2011, 5:10 PM
Did he get paid for giving cuddles? |hug|

The original is a more boring puddler. The brother's surname is definitely SUNTER

olliecat
21-06-2011, 5:19 PM
The brother's surname is definitely SUNTER

Excellent! :smile5:

Coromandel
21-06-2011, 5:38 PM
Is this the same William Tanner in 1841?

from transcript on FreeCEN:

Prestwick Proper, Monkton & Prestwick
SCT 1841/606, ED 3, folio 0, page 12.

William Tanner, 25, strap m, b. Ireland
Margret Tanner, 26, b. Ireland
Margret Tanner, 4, not born in census county
Mary Tanner, 2, b. Ayrshire

If this is the right man it looks as if Elizabeth wasn't his first wife. (But if this is him with a previous wife and children, what happened to the two little girls?)

Coromandel
21-06-2011, 5:59 PM
There is a birth registration for a James SUNTER (not TANNER) in the Kilconquhar district in 1855, according to Scotland's People.

In this very first year of Scottish birth regsitrations, the records were particularly informative, as outlined on the Scotland's People site:

'1855 birth records were very detailed . . . In addition to details about the child (date, place and time of birth, full name, sex), the parents' names (including maiden surname of mother), father's occupation, name of informant and relationship to child, an 1855 birth certificate also contains information on siblings, the ages and birthplaces of both parents, their usual residence and the date and place of their marriage.'

olliecat
21-06-2011, 7:49 PM
Prestwick Proper, Monkton & Prestwick
SCT 1841/606, ED 3, folio 0, page 12.

William Tanner, 25, strap m, b. Ireland
Margret Tanner, 26, b. Ireland
Margret Tanner, 4, not born in census county
Mary Tanner, 2, b. Ayrshire

If this is the right man it looks as if Elizabeth wasn't his first wife. (But if this is him with a previous wife and children, what happened to the two little girls?)

1851: Parish: Edinburgh St Cuthberts; ED: 38; Page: 14
Pleasance, Edinburgh St Cuthberts
William Tanner 34, head, Razor Strap Maker, Edinr Midloth
Margaret Tanner 36, wife, Lanark Lkshr
Margt Tanner 14, Edinr Midloth
Mary Tanner 19, Ayr, Ayrshire
Elizabeth Tanner 10, Edinr, Midloth
William Tanner 7, Edinr Midloth
Catherine Tanner 3, Edinr, Midloth

In 1861, assuming it's the same William TANNER, then while he is with his new partner Elizabeth SUNTER in Glasgow, it looks like his children by Margaret are still in Edinburgh.

1861: Parish: Edinburgh St Cuthberts; ED: 50; Page: 8
68 East Cross Causeway, Edinburgh
Elizabeth Mclean 19, Airdrie, Lanark
Margret Mclean 3
Agnes Mclean 1
Mary Tanner 22, Ayr Ayrshire
Wm Tanner 16, Old Greyfriers Edin
Catherine Tanner 11, St Cuthberts Edinr
Charles Tanner 9, St Cuthberts Edinr
John Tanner 5, St Cuthberts Edinr

Since John TANNER (son of William and Margaret?) was born abt 1855 and James TANNER (son of William and Elizabeth), was also born about 1855, then it does look as if James may have been the illegitimate son of Elizabeth SUNTER. There is this christening on FamilySearch.

name: James Sunter
birth date: 28 Feb 1855
birthplace: KILCONQUHAR, FIFE, SCOTLAND
mother's name: Elizabeth Sunter

slewis
22-06-2011, 1:28 PM
Hi All
What can I say all this infomation, I can not begin to thank you its all going to be a great help, it really gives me something to work with.
Thank you so much kind regards Sue