PDA

View Full Version : Caught speeding?

annabel
31-05-2011, 1:04 AM
I have just found in criminal registers, references to 3 trials at ajourned sessions and general sessions at Clerkenwell. There is not much to prove it is him, but I cannot find anyone in the census with this name in London. It could have been a second name he had. He was a cab driver, 2 are for "furious driving", but one is for embezzling for which he was sentanced to 6 months.

Is it possible to get more information about these trials,or the man himself, or are they too small to have any more records?

They are for James Godbold in 1880 and 1884

Ken_R
31-05-2011, 4:12 AM
I've tried the newspapers records but can't find anything of relevance. The offence of 'Reckless & Furious Driving' still exists. In those days it would have related to things equine, but is used in more recent years where the event took place other than on a 'Road' as defined by the Road Traffic Act. E.g. Kids/people, in cars/on bikes, in fields or on other private land where someone got clobbered and ended up in A&E.

The modern day equivalent would be Careless Driving. And how many of those get reported? Very few.

Kerrywood
31-05-2011, 7:38 AM
Is it possible to get more information about these trials,or the man himself
Quite possibly. Middlesex Sessions records are at London Metropolitan Archives. While they're unlikely to give you any family information as such, there may be addresses and/or other data that would tie in with what you're looking for.

annabel
31-05-2011, 8:39 PM
Thanks Kerrywood, I suppose this is a look up I have to do in person is it?

Kerrywood
31-05-2011, 11:44 PM
I suppose this is a look up I have to do in person is it?
LMA do offer a research service, but at a considerable cost.

www.
cityoflondon.gov.uk/Corporation/LGNL_Services/Leisure_and_culture/Records_and_archives/Family_Research/Family+History+Research+Service.htm

K9ARO
01-07-2011, 11:56 AM
This week 'ancestry' .co.uk are offering free National Probate Calendar Record 1861-1941 30 June -8 July

K9ARO
01-07-2011, 12:29 PM
Correction to above post
Sorry.....Senior moment...I read this as Calender of prisioner...not probate.

Have you looked at TNA and you may also find them if you search 'calender of prisioners Middlesex' as many local council websites now do searchable databases, also Old Bailey 1674-1913 Court records are free and online if you look at the UK section of familytimeline.webs.com you will find tha link to them and some others

annabel
01-07-2011, 10:03 PM
Thank very much for that, I will look into it

haveabet
31-07-2011, 11:36 AM
im not sure if this might help, found it but as yet have never had to look into it much:
The Proceedings of the Old Bailey 1674-1913 ( sorry you need to google it )

Kerrywood
31-07-2011, 2:55 PM
As the hearings were at the Clerkenwell sessions house (posts ##1 and 3), I'm afraid the Old Bailey transcripts won't help.