PDA

View Full Version : Tailor's Guild ?

chopendoz
17-05-2011, 2:56 PM
Quite a few men of my ancestors were tailors – either ‘journeyman’ or ‘master’ tailor. I am assuming that there was some regulatory/governing body (or Guild) that assessed a tailor’s expertise and upgraded their status – from apprentice to ‘journeyman’ for example. If this is so, was there such a body in Oxfordshire? Or Warwickshire? Would records have been kept? I would appreciate any help.

josie7644
17-05-2011, 8:12 PM
Quite a few men of my ancestors were tailors – either ‘journeyman’ or ‘master’ tailor. I am assuming that there was some regulatory/governing body (or Guild) that assessed a tailor’s expertise and upgraded their status – from apprentice to ‘journeyman’ for example. If this is so, was there such a body in Oxfordshire? Or Warwickshire? Would records have been kept? I would appreciate any help.

Hello,

Just found a little bit of info - don't know whether it's any use!

http://www.
rootschat.com/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=uqsu0cai7spv6dn89l108ims42&topic=356236.0

Josie

Mutley
17-05-2011, 8:40 PM
Try googling for The Guild of Merchant Taylors
I believe one of the masters founded St. John's College in Oxford and also there are references to Wallingford School so I imagine there is a connection with Oxfordshire.

I also think the records are still held with the Guild but there is a membership index that has been transcribed.
Check this out though please.