PDA

View Full Version : Canalmen

baymanofkb
16-05-2011, 9:43 AM
I am trying to find out about my grandfather,George Bucknall who was I believe a lock keeper in Penkridge Lock No 86 this would have been around 1900-1905+. To date i have not been able to locate any info on this any help or guidance appreciated.

baymanofkb.

Richard1955
16-05-2011, 10:07 AM
Hi Baymanojkb
Firstly we can try and find him on the 1911 census but need a bit more info that just a name. Perhaps his wife and children's names will do it. Year of birth. Place of birth. Anything may help.
Secondly google the name of the lock and wade through the results to see what you can find.
Thirdly google George Bucknall b? and see what comes up. You may find him on someone else's tree but treat that information with caution.

Peter Goodey
16-05-2011, 10:19 AM
Decide which canal this was and therefore which company (I would guess the Staffordshire & Worcestershire Canal Navigation Co).

Then check the National Register of Archives (http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/nra/default.asp) for any surviving records.

As you know records of the great and the good and of money have a better survival rate than those of mere employees!

Kerrywood
16-05-2011, 11:14 AM
need a bit more info that just a name.
There is a separate thread (http://www.british-genealogy.com/forums/showthread.php/68234-Where-is-my-Great-Grandfather) on George BUCKNALL which has already attracted replies.

It's best if this current thread is restricted to discussing occupational matters.

Alan Welsford
22-07-2011, 1:27 PM
I am trying to find out about my grandfather,George Bucknall who was I believe a lock keeper in Penkridge Lock No 86 this would have been around 1900-1905+. To date i have not been able to locate any info on this any help or guidance appreciated.

baymanofkb.

Penkridge is on the Staffs and Worcs canal, but no current lock numbers in the area are anything like 86. (Penkridge Lock, itself, is numbered 38 for instance).

Although curiously, there is a BRIDGE numbered 86 near Penkridge Lock.

What is your source for "Penkridge Lock 86", please ?

baymanofkb
23-07-2011, 2:59 PM
Hello everyone who has ytried to help. Since posting my search I went to theStafford archives office and found that I had been sent on a wild goos chase.Sadly the people (family) who told me all the stories :well it was fantasy I'm afraid. But thank you anyway.

I Found my grandfathers marriage cert and he was a 'Puddler' in Walsall! As was my grandmopthers father. It goes to show don't believe everything you are told 'check it out' Stafford Archives were extremely helpful to this beginner

Once again Thanks everyone.