PDA

View Full Version : Black Bull Inn, High Street Bawtry

Debbie Bozkurt
14-05-2011, 7:34 PM
I have a Thomas Garner the Inn Keeper of the Black Bull Inn in Bawtry, Yorkshire from 1841-1861, his wife Elizabeth then takes over by 1871, where it is called Bull Hotel. I can not seem to find anything on the Black Bull Inn or Bull Hotel, it was situated on the High Street. I was wondering if it is now called the Crown Hotel? Can anyone direct me to an old pub site, I have tried searching on-line but nothing is coming up

Ta

Debs

Neil Wilson
14-05-2011, 7:42 PM
The Crown was a different place according to GENUKI web site, info from Pigot's Directory of 1834.

P.S. drop the Inn/Hotel when searching

gasser
14-05-2011, 9:53 PM
According to Kelly's Directory of West Riding of Yorkshire, 1881. [Part 1: County Information & Places A-K]
there is
Richardson, Robert 'Bull' High Street ,
and also
White, William Crown Hotel High Street
so looks like they are two seperate buildings.
hope this helps,

Coromandel
15-05-2011, 7:55 AM
A few other ideas for you

By wandering up and down Bawtry High Street on the census, looking at the neighbours, perhaps you will be able to narrow down where the Black Bull was.
It might be labelled on old maps. A tithe map would be particularly useful since plots are numbered and owners/occupiers are shown in the accompanying award. There is one for Bawtry, according to archives.wyjs.org.uk/documents/archives/Collections%20Guide%209.pdf (put www. in front)
Old photographs of Bawtry may show the building, so find out if any books have been published.
Is there a local history society for the area, and/or a museum? They may be able to help.
Newspapers are a great source for pub history (e.g. advertisements for sale or to let): I can see some references to the Black Bull in the British Libary 19th c. Newspaper collection (do you have access to this? if not I can post details)
The relevant record office may have deeds. Try their online catalogues.

P.S. This planning report on Bawtry has a selection of old maps and photos:
http://www.
doncaster.gov.uk/Images/Bawtry%20Conservation%20Area%20Appraisal%20Feb%202 009%20Part%201_tcm2-61317.pdf

helachau
15-05-2011, 8:15 AM
The Hull Packet & East Riding Times, Friday, July 25, 1873

West Riding Police - On Saturday, Henry Arnold Ridgers, of Bawtry, labourer, was charged with unlawfully retailing two pints of beer on the 14th July, he not having a licence. Defendant a few weeks ago took to the Black Bull Inn, Bawtry, but on his applying to the Magistrates to transfer the licence, they refused in consequence of evidence given as to the defendant's conduct when he occupied the Gate Inn, at Swinton. It was learnt that the defendant was in the habit of selling drink, and Police Constable Cade, of Mexbro', who was in plain clothes, went to the Black Bull at Bawtry, and was served both by the defendant and the defendant's wife with beer. Fined £1 and £2 14s 6d costs.

Coromandel
15-05-2011, 8:45 AM
The Sheffield & Rotherham Independent, 23 November 1861:

'GARNER.--On the 15th inst., at Bawtry, Mr. Thos. Garner,
landlord of the Black Bull Inn, aged 76 years.'

Coromandel
15-05-2011, 10:16 AM
The Sheffield & Rotherham Independent, 18 January 1873:

'BAWTRY.-- To be Let, with immediate possession, that old-established INN and POSTING HOUSE, the Black Bull, Bawtry, together with 35 Acres of excellent GRASS LAND; valuation moderate. -- Apply to Mr. W.F. TASKER, 15, North Church street, Sheffield; or to Mr. CHAMBERLAIN, Bawtry.
Bawtry, January 15th.'