PDA

View Full Version : Jewish family. Name Singer

chook
08-05-2011, 5:59 PM
Hi
It appears that my family on my fathers side have Jewish roots. My great grandmothers name, before marriage was Singer. it appears that her family, going back were Jewish, Possibly German Jews. This was obvioulsy covered up as the families before that were married and baptised in COE churches. I have very little to go on, apart from my great aunt, on her death bed revealing after a number of years that there was this blood in her family and my father remembering his grandmother singing him German/Jewish songs when he was a child. Also I have been intocuh with somebody on another webside who said that the famil;y Singer had Jewish routes. Just wondering if anybody can suggest where I can go to now to find out more, as despite tracing my motjhers side back am at a bit of a loss as to were to go now. Many thanks
Karen

Kerrywood
08-05-2011, 6:46 PM
Hi Karen, and welcome to the BG forums!

If you can tell us what you've already found out about your SINGER family -- with full names, dates and any census references -- I'm sure our members will do their best to help. :smile5:

chook
09-05-2011, 8:30 AM
Hi
Many thanks for that. Here is what I have working from my Great Grandmother backwards.
Ada Sarah Singer, born 1895, London, married Frederick Augustas Bainbridge 1917, Romford. Died 1988 Clacton.
Her father,Richard James, born 5/3/1868, London. Baptised 8/11/1868 Holy Trinity, Gough Square, London. Occupation, bootmaker/shopkeeper. 1881 census shows Richard as living High street boys home Deptford a former Fegans home for destitute boys. Siblings are Arthur, 1871. He married Ada Wane

Richards father was Richard, born 1835, Barking. Married Ellen Ward. He was a Carpenter. Siblings, William, 1833. Joseph, 1831. Daniel, 1828. Henry 1827. Caroline 1824.

Father of Richard was James, 1781, Horton Buckinghamshire. Married Susanna George, St. Botolph, outside Aldersgate, London.

In the 1901 census the family name was shown as Tinger.

hope this is not too confusing!!!. I would like to know in what direction to go now as to confirm any Jewis, possible German roots. I was told by somebody who is a very distant relative that the family were origanally Jewis, but have not been able to confirm this. Many thanks
Karen

Kerrywood
09-05-2011, 2:49 PM
Thanks for posting the extra information.

On the face of it, the first names, occupations and locations of your SINGER family don't positively suggest Jewish origins, and there are plenty of non-Jewish families with that surname. But names and occupations are subject to change, so you wouldn't want to rule it out.

Can we assume that all your above SINGER relationships are secure, and supported by certificates or parish register entries?

If so, the baptisms and marriages don't point to Ada Sarah SINGER's immediate ancestry being Jewish. You suggest that this may have been covered up. But as you go further back, beyond the mid-1800s, you do tend to find Jewish families are clustered in communities in known areas, which wouldn't normally include the places you've mentioned in those particular time-frames.

Unfortunately, you can't actively look for Jewish roots unless you can find some evidence that points in a particular direction. For the moment, you might want to continue researching the SINGER family backwards in the usual way, looking for baptisms and marriages in appropriate parishes. If the family does have Jewish roots they are likely to show up one way or another.

Another possibility is that the Jewish influence came from another line, who married into the SINGERs. So you might want to keep a look-out for that too?

Do please come back, either to this forum or another, and let us know how you get on. :smile5:

chook
09-05-2011, 3:30 PM
Many thanks for that. I will search further into the other lines as you suggested and also try to go back further on the Singers. Brick walls are such a pain. I will keep you updated and no doubt post other quiries I may have. Which in this game tends to be a lot from time to time for everybody.
Karen

Jan1954
09-05-2011, 5:28 PM
I would like to know in what direction to go now as to confirm any Jewis, possible German roots.
You may also find that the information within the pages of this book (http://www.parishchest.com/index.php?cmd=viewproduct&cat=&id=P81558&pageOffset=0) can help you along the way. :smile5: