PDA

View Full Version : the will of William Stanton 1786

Zen Rabbit
06-05-2011, 9:20 PM
So here it is my brickwall smashing will. But what does it say? I have gleaned the gist of it but there are a few bits that elude me. It is long but if anyone fancies a go be my guest. I am welcome for any feed back.

http://o.mfcreative.com/f1/file08/objects/9/1/0/8910a760-5f35-43dd-903d-0f500ea4d7c7-0.jpg

Zen Rabbit
06-05-2011, 9:23 PM
and part two

http://o.mfcreative.com/f1/file08/objects/5/e/6/85e6b8e4-e688-49e4-b4ce-7452c72795ca-0.jpg

Zen Rabbit
06-05-2011, 9:24 PM
and part 3

http://o.mfcreative.com/f1/file12/objects/7/9/7/c7974a75-206d-4337-b58b-b0cc461f8010-0.jpg

Kerrywood
06-05-2011, 9:51 PM
I have gleaned the gist of it but there are a few bits that elude me.
Zen, I'd be glad to help, and I'm sure others would too.

The hand is mostly quite clear. Perhaps you might like to have a go at it first, and then post up any tricky bits that you need help with? It's always more rewarding to do your own transcription, if you can. :smile5:

Mutley
06-05-2011, 10:10 PM
I can make out most of it, though there are a few odd bits that I am stuck on.
As Kerrywood says, tell us what lines you need help with and I am sure they can be sorted.

I love the comment on part 3, line 2.
"Share and Share alike" :smile5:

Zen Rabbit
06-05-2011, 11:04 PM
tis late now I will have a go tommorrow and post it

Mutley
06-05-2011, 11:14 PM
tis late now I will have a go tommorrow and post it

We will be waiting. :smile5:

Zen Rabbit
07-05-2011, 8:41 AM
Right here it is (that was a lot of writing!) I have added question marks where I am unsure.

Will of William Stanton
Dated 6th March 1786

In the name of God amen. I William Stanton the Elder of Stafford in the county of Stafford yeoman do make publish and declare this to be my last will and testament. First I direct all my just debts and funeral expenses to be paid out of my present estate – and I do hereby give and devise unto my son John Stanton all that messuage (?) Tenerment or dwelling house together with one Inoiety (?) or half part of the garden and out buildings thereunto belonging situated in the Church Lane Stafford aforesaid and now in my own…. Possession. To hold the same with the appreitenances (?) unto my said son John Stanton his heirs and assigns forever – subject never the less to and chargeable with the payment of the sum of two pounds and two shillings unto my son William Stanton within twelve months next from my decease [inserted] to whom I give and bequeath the same accordingly. – Also I give and bequeath unto my said son John Stanton the bed now being in the parlour of my said dwelling house with the furniture thereunto belonging – Also I give and devise unto my daughter in law Ann Stanton, widow of my late son George Stanton deceased. All that to her messuage (?) tenement or dwelling house (adjoining to the aforesaid messuage) together with the other Inoiety (?) or half part of the above mentioned garden and outbuildings - To hold the same with the appiortenances (?) unto my said daughter in law Ann Stanton for and during the term of her natural life (provided she continues a widow but not therewise) and from and immediately after her decease or second marriage which shall first happen I give and devise the same unto my said son John Stanton his heirs and assigns forever subject never the less to and chargeable with the payment of the sum of two pounds and two shillings a piece to all and every the child and children of my said daughter in law Ann Stanton as shall happen to be living at the time of her decease or second marriage [inserted] to whom I give and bequeath the same accordingly – Also I give and bequeath unto my said daughter in law Ann Stanton my bed in the chamber of the house wherein I now live with the furniture thereunto belonging – Also I give and bequeath unto my granddaughter Mary the wife of George Tonks of Forbridge, cordwainer, the sum of five pounds and five shillings to be paid to her within the space of six months next after my decease. But if it should happen that she shall depart this life before my decease then and in that case I do hereby give and bequeath the said sum of five pounds and five shillings unto her father my son in law William Sandles to and for his own use benefit if he shall be living at the time of my said granddaughter’s decease and I do hereby further order and direct that all the rest residue and remainder of my personal estate (not herein before by me disposed of) may be as soon as convenient after my decease appraised and sold for the most money that can be obtained for the same and that the money arising from such sale (after payment of my just debts funeral expenses and the … precuniary (?) legacy of [inserted] five pounds and five shillings, herein before by me given and bequeathed) be applied to and for the sole use and benefit of all and every the child and children of my said son John Stanton and of my said daughter in law Ann Stanton by my said son George Stanton deceased share and share alike – But in case the money arising from the sale of the residue of my said personal estate shall be insufficient to discharge the said legacy or sum of five pounds and five shillings herein before by me given and bequeathed after payment of my just debts and funeral expenses. Then I do charge and make chargeable the aforesaid messuages and premises (?) herein before by me given and devised with the payment of such legacy in equal shares and proportions – and in case any dispute shall arise relating to the management and execution of this my will then I do hereby order and direct that the same may be finally determined by my worthy friend Charles Clarke of Forbridge aforesaid gentleman – and lastly I do hereby nominate and appoint my said son John Stanton sole executor of this my last will and testament hereby revoking and making void all other wills by me at any time hereto afore made in witness whereof I have hereunto set my hand and seal the sixth day of March in the year of our Lord one thousand and seven hundred and eighty six.

Signed sealed published & declared by the said William Stanton the Elder as and for his last will and testament in the presence of us who have at his request in his presence & in the presence of each other, subscribed our names as witnesses

Chas Clarke Jan 2 (date?)
John Hurd
R Wilson

X the mark of William Stanton senior

Kerrywood
07-05-2011, 9:22 AM
Congratulations, Zen, a great job -- and quickly done too!

The two words causing problems seem to be moiety (a half) and appurtenances (the rights of access and use that belong to a property).

I think most of your queries are answered by the above, but ...

out of my present estate
out of my personal estate

messuage (?) Tenerment or dwelling house
messuage tenement or dwelling house

together with one Inoiety (?) or half part
together with one moiety or half part

To hold the same with the appreitenances (?)
To hold the same with the appurtenances

All that to her messuage (?) tenement or dwelling house
All that other messuage tenement or dwelling house

together with the other Inoiety (?) or half part
together with the other moiety or half part

To hold the same with the appiortenances (?)
To hold the same with the appurtenances

continues a widow but not therewise)
continues a widow but not otherwise)

William Sandles to and for his own use benefit
William Sandles to and for his own use and benefit

precuniary (?) legacy
pecuniary legacy

messuages and premises (?) herein before
messuages and premises hereinbefore

Chas Clarke Jan 2 (date?)
Chas Clarke Jun(io)r

(other witnesses not visible on original)

===============

There are plenty of online glossaries for the language of wills. I find this one handy ...
www.
rootsweb.ancestry.com/~engsurry/glossary.shtml

And this (http://www.parishchest.com/index.php?cmd=viewproduct&cat=&id=P16019&pageOffset=1) is highly recommended.

One other point -- when transcribing you might find it easier to mirror the layout of the original, taking a new line in your transcription when the original does, and noting the start of a new page. That way it's easier to find your place if you want to revisit it later to make corrections/additions.

Hope you found it an enjoyable exercise. :smile5:

Colin Moretti
07-05-2011, 9:25 AM
Your transcription looks pretty good

messuage (?) Tenerment or dwelling house together with one Inoiety (?) or half part of the garden... Messuage Tenement or dwelling house together with one Moiety or half part ...
messuage - a dwelling house, associated outbuildings and land
moiety - a half share

appreitenancesappurtenances - those things belonging to
precuniary pecuniary - consisting of money

Chas Clarke Jan 2 (date?)Chas Clarke Junr [r is supercripted and underlined]

Colin

Zen Rabbit
07-05-2011, 9:39 AM
thanks very much :)
I have just been re-jigging my tree to account for the differences the will has made

Zen Rabbit
08-05-2011, 7:17 AM
One interesting aspect about the will, well two actually, is that it took 18 years to be proved. William died in Dec 1786 but the probate date is 1804 and indeed it makes reference to the fact that he died a while ago (query: when did he die? Ans: 16 years ago - two years out but after so long a small error is understandable). Secondly there is the complete absence of any mention of his eldest son William who had married Jane Tonks in 1775. William died a pauper in 1788 two years after his father's death and Jane a few years later in 1790. To add to the tragedy Jane had buried an illegitimate daughter Ann some three months before the death of her husband.