PDA

View Full Version : Transportation of Criminals,

kinneo
01-05-2011, 11:20 PM
H,i we are looking for some help in this field, the name is George Hillier 1797,there are 4 G.H. two if them have died around the 1846/8 time and two of them were Transported one in Dec/1850 and one in March/ 1850, one of these G.H is ours and we cannot find which one, we know that he was in Honey ST Woodborough Wiltshire in 1841 with two sons William and Thomas, then in 1851 the boys are in the workhouse, the union in Devizes I think, on their own, this is where we are stuck, we wanted to ask if it is possible to find out the details of residence of one of these 4 G.Hs either before they died or Transported,one of these crimes was a particularly nasty one and deserved to be sent away,we have also tried to find out the record dates of entrance of the boys into the workhouse so we would get an idea then which George it might be, would anyone be able to help on this one Pleeeeeease, Thankyou
Val,,,

Kerrywood
02-05-2011, 12:23 AM
two of them were Transported one in Dec/1850 and one in March/ 1850, one of these G.H is ours and we cannot find which one
The George HILLIER who was sentenced to seven years transportation on 31 December 1850 was not actually transported.

He was released early on licence from the hulks, on 10 April 1854.

He was aged 38 when convicted, and a labourer.

Click here (http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/displaycataloguedetails.asp?CATID=-5597484&CATLN=7) to see the National Archives catalogue entry for his licence.

JillianR
02-05-2011, 1:11 AM
Hi Val

Transportation to New South Wales had ended by then, perhaps that's why George (above) was released. The other George may not have been transported either, he isn't on the records here.

Best wishes
Jillian

Coromandel
02-05-2011, 6:48 AM
Local newspapers may give more information about the criminal George Hilliers. Here's some info on Wiltshire newspapers:

http://
history.wiltshire.gov.uk/community/newspaperintro.php

Have you checked burial registers for the relevant areas? If your George died in the Devizes workhouse he may be buried in Devizes, rather than in his home parish. Indeed, I see someone has come up with a May 1847 burial at Devizes, in this Ancestry thread about the same family:

http://
boards.ancestry.com/thread.aspx?o=20&m=7546.3&p=localities.britisles.england.wil.general

You could also send for any likely looking death certificates. I see from FreeBMD that there are no fewer than nine deaths of George Hilliers registered in the Devizes district between 1841 and 1851. You can rule out seven of these by checking Wiltshire BMDs, which shows the ages at death. One of the ones not included in Wiltshire BMDs is the one that probably corresponds to the May 1847 burial, i.e. the death registered in Q2 1847.

kinneo
02-05-2011, 7:30 PM
Oh thankyou for your replies and links, yes we have tried to find out about the burial but we thought the best thing would be to find out when the boys entered the workhouse it would tell us which George it was,or it is possible that he was in there with them and died there and that could be why it has on each boy (Pauper) and son of pauper on both, I have tried to find out about the entrance of both boys, but one answer said the records were oncomplete about that, would I be able to find which cemetary he was buried in and if he was with his wife Keziah, because they seemed to be buried with their own families in those times for some reason, Thankyou again to you all for helping anyway,

Valxx

spison
02-05-2011, 9:29 PM
Transportation to New South Wales had ended by then.... The other George ... isn't on the records here. Jillian

There is no George Hillier listed in Tasmanian Archives for transportation to VDL for this date. (Can't remember when transportation here stopped.) Transportation to Western Australia continued till 1867 but I can't find him on the "Convicts to Australia" as a W.A. convict either.

He probably didn't come to Australia.

Jane

Coromandel
03-05-2011, 4:33 PM
we thought the best thing would be to find out when the boys entered the workhouse it would tell us which George it was,or it is possible that he was in there with them and died there
Yes, it is quite possible that the family fell on hard times (perhaps George became sick) and they were all admitted to the workhouse. It sounds from what you've been told on the Ancestry threads that the Devizes workhouse admission records haven't survived for this period. There's a faint chance that there might be something at The National Archives (Kew) among the MH 12 records: just occasionally there are real gems there about particular families. This would be a real needle in a haystack, though.

would I be able to find which cemetary he was buried in and if he was with his wife Keziah
On the Ancestry thread I mentioned in an earlier post (you'll need to delete the extra space in 'england' to make the link work!) there are details of the burial on 14 May 1847 of a George Hillier at Devizes St John. The burial register for this church should tell you George's abode and age. If he is the right age to be your George, I would send for his death certificate.

From an earlier thread (http://www.british-genealogy.com/forums/showthread.php/62819-CHANDLER-HILLIER-MYSTERY) on this forum, you already know that Keziah was buried at Woodborough. Have you tried the FamilySearch site to see if George is there too?