PDA

View Full Version : Transcription Question

Diane Grant-Salmon
20-06-2005, 11:52 AM
In The Visitation of Cornwall - 1620 CD, which I purchased from Archive CD Books a couple of weeks ago for my Rashleigh's, I had a bonus when I found some of my Trefusis's in there too.

Although it states that the information is from Constantine Parish Registers, the date given for my Ketheryn's baptism (23 April 1611) is different from the one I have in my file (12 November 1611). This date was given to me by a contact after she searched the records at Truro CRO.

We all make mistakes, so I thought I'd just have a look on the IGI to see if I could find anything ..... it made the problem even worse!

I cannot get to Truro to check for myself ...... and I think the Online Parish Clerk for Constantine lives abroad, so I don't think she could help. Is the only way of finding out the correct date to pay a research fee to the Record Office? :(

Peter Goodey
20-06-2005, 1:05 PM
Is that a rhetorical question?

You could order the film from the Mormons and look for yourself but presumably you've already considered and discounted that possibility.

I'd approach the CRO if I were you. I think they'd be really mean to charge a research fee for that. Tell them what you know and what you want to know, sound innocent and confused and with a bit of luck they'll just tell you the date without any fee. At least some CROs will do that but it may depend who you speak to, whether you catch them before or after lunch or other factors which are outside your control.;)

AnnB
20-06-2005, 2:09 PM
Hello Diane

I'm sure you must have done what I am going to suggest, but just in case you haven't.......have you looked at A2A? I've just put Trefusis in their search facility and come up with masses of hits (174 actually:) )I haven't really looked at any of them, but I did notice that on the first page was 'Rashleigh of Menabilly', so may have something to do with your lot?
Anyway the start of the Trefusis refs is at http://www.a2a.org.uk/search/doclist.asp?nb=0&nbKey=1&com=1&keyword=trefusis&properties=0601

Sorry, if you've already ploughed through them all! I would certainly agree with Peter that you should get in touch with the Cornwall Record Office, I believe they are very helpful ;)

Best wishes
Ann

Rod Neep
20-06-2005, 3:31 PM
It is on occasions such as this that I would always recommend the best people to help.....

The Cornwall Family History Society

In this day and age, with the internet providing "everything" (HA!) we tend to forget the most valuable resource available to us. The relevant county family history society! I believe that everyone should be a member of the family history society from where the majority of their ancestors came.... plus their local family history society.

Those people there can help! And... they have the resources, or easy access to them.

Regards
Rod

Diane Grant-Salmon
20-06-2005, 6:33 PM
Is that a rhetorical question?

You could order the film from the Mormons and look for yourself but presumably you've already considered and discounted that possibility.

I'd approach the CRO if I were you. I think they'd be really mean to charge a research fee for that. Tell them what you know and what you want to know, sound innocent and confused and with a bit of luck they'll just tell you the date without any fee. At least some CROs will do that but it may depend who you speak to, whether you catch them before or after lunch or other factors which are outside your control.;)
Hi Peter,
Unfortunately, I can't go to any LDS Libraries to look at films, as I am housebound, so I'll follow your advice and ask Truro CRO ...... I'll let you know if my luck is in! :)

Hello Diane

I'm sure you must have done what I am going to suggest, but just in case you haven't.......have you looked at A2A? I've just put Trefusis in their search facility and come up with masses of hits (174 actually:) )I haven't really looked at any of them, but I did notice that on the first page was 'Rashleigh of Menabilly', so may have something to do with your lot?
Anyway the start of the Trefusis refs is at http://www.a2a.org.uk/search/doclist.asp?nb=0&nbKey=1&com=1&keyword=trefusis&properties=0601

Sorry, if you've already ploughed through them all! I would certainly agree with Peter that you should get in touch with the Cornwall Record Office, I believe they are very helpful ;)

Best wishes
Ann
Hi Ann,
Thanks for the tip ..... no, I haven't looked at A2A. I've just clicked on your link but it's 'timed out' (although I have got their Home Address from it) so I'll have a look later. Yes, 'Rashleigh of Menabilly', is connected to my lot .... it was Trefusis being on the CD which was such a surprise!

Diane Grant-Salmon
20-06-2005, 6:48 PM
It is on occasions such as this that I would always recommend the best people to help.....

The Cornwall Family History Society

In this day and age, with the internet providing "everything" (HA!) we tend to forget the most valuable resource available to us. The relevant county family history society! I believe that everyone should be a member of the family history society from where the majority of their ancestors came.... plus their local family history society.

Those people there can help! And... they have the resources, or easy access to them.

Regards
Rod
Hi Rod,

A few years back I had to choose between joining Cornwall FHS at £10 p.a. (I may be having a Senior Moment here, but I thought I read in those days that they didn't do any 'look-ups' for Members ...... apologies to them if I'm wrong) or joining Cornish Forefathers Society at £20 p.a. who did research for Members ...... I chose the latter.

Pam was very good to me and all her other Members, answering not only one question e.g. a Baptism date, but giving details of the rest of the Family's baptisms. If I was still a Member, I would have asked Pam to check this out for me, but unfortunately, with all the time needed for her to 'run' The Parish Chest, a new venture she started which is now very successful ..... something had to go.

Unfortunately, the 'something' was Cornish Forefathers Society in September of last year (I think?) and I've never thought about joining Cornwall FHS until your suggestion. I will probably do this, but even if they do look-up requests, I wouldn't have the nerve to ask them about my query for at least three months! :D

AnnB
20-06-2005, 6:59 PM
Thanks for the tip ..... no, I haven't looked at A2A. I've just clicked on your link but it's 'timed out' (although I have got their Home Address from it) so I'll have a look later. Yes, 'Rashleigh of Menabilly', is connected to my lot .... it was Trefusis being on the CD which was such a surprise!
Hello Diane
Sorry about the 'missing link' |blush| I didn't give it a thought that it wouldn't reappear when asked. If you go to the main search page and just stick in Trefusis, you'll get all the results. The one I mentioned is to do with the Trefusis refs in the Rashleigh of Menabilly archives. A2A are an absolute mine of information, especially with regard to the holdings of Record Offices.
Best wishes and good hunting
Ann

Diane Grant-Salmon
20-06-2005, 7:04 PM
Hi Ann,

You just caught me before I log off ...... the weather is too hot for me to be on the puter long! :D
Thanks again for everything, I'll let you know about my request to the CRO.

Diane Grant-Salmon
21-06-2005, 9:54 AM
"the weather is too hot for me to be on the puter long!"

Ditto - wrecked here, so just a quick whizz through today, but ...
Hi Myth :D What makes it worse is the fact that demolition work is being carried out across the road, so as I get up early ..... I open all the doors and windows to get the place cool, then when they arrive, until they leave ..... I have to completely close down the place! At least all the venetian blinds being closed helps to keep the sun and heat out a fair bit, but still too hot for me on the puter!

With the amount of stuff you have in Constantine, have you considered buying the PR on fiche from CRO, then you won't have to rely on other people's versions. Brain won't cope with much in this heat, so I expect there's postage and a handling charge to add on (plus export duty to England ;) ), I'll leave you to sort the details out, but a basic £1.50 per fiche sounds good to me.
I wrote to them last year making enquiries about Wendron Parish and they gave me their prices then. However, I'm still on the lookout for a second hand microfiche reader (if the place you've put your name down with happens to have two machines surplus to requirements ...... please give me a shout! ;))

Diane Grant-Salmon
21-06-2005, 10:41 PM
I received this from the CRO today, less than 30 minutes after I sent them an email: :D

----- Original Message -----
To: 'Diane Grant-Salmon'
Sent: Tuesday, June 21, 2005 10:19 AM
Subject: RE: Parish Register Enquiry

Dear Mrs. Grant-Salmon,

I have checked the Exeter transcripts of the Constantine registers and can tell you that the baptism date is 12th November 1611. I wonder if the other date refers to the birth?

I hope that this information is useful to you, please do not hesitate to contact us again if we can be of any further assistance.

Best Regards
Renée Jackaman
Archive Assistant

It's really been my day today, with people being so kind, on and off BG Forums. :)

AnnB
22-06-2005, 7:45 AM
Hello Diane
It's nice to have a 'good day' isn't it. :) I thought CRO would be helpful, but a half hour service is exceptional - they must have been having a 'good day' too ;) (I'm beginning to sound like Rolf Harris without the accent!)
Best wishes
Ann

Peter Goodey
22-06-2005, 7:58 AM
"the baptism date is 12th November 1611"
Congratulations!!! It never does any harm to ask :D :D :D .

Geoffers
22-06-2005, 8:46 AM
In The Visitation of Cornwall - 1620 CD, which I purchased from Archive CD Books a couple of weeks ago for my Rashleigh's, I had a bonus when I found some of my Trefusis's in there too.

Although it states that the information is from Constantine Parish Registers, the date given for my Ketheryn's baptism (23 April 1611) is different from the one I have in my file (12 November 1611). This date was given to me by a contact after she searched the records at Truro CRO.
Glad you were able to sort this out Diane. For anyone new to research who may read this thread, it is yet another example that the most original surviving record should be checked.

The Visitation is a copy, a very useful guide which would lead someone to find the entry in the parish registers - But - it would seem that the information of the precise date of baptism has been wrongly recorded. With the best will in the world, mistakes occur in transcription, information is sometimes left out. Don't rely on the IGI, transcripts of census or registers - check the original.

Geoffers

Diane Grant-Salmon
22-06-2005, 9:06 AM
Hello All,

Actually, I wrote my email to the CRO before I came here yesterday morning. After catching up with messages, I went offline and forgot to check my mail before doing so ..... I didn't find the email from Lyn until early evening!

I wrote *My Thank You* letter this morning as I was 'brought-up-proper!' :D

Very good advice Geoffers, as usual.

Ken Boyce
22-06-2005, 10:29 AM
Presumably the CRO staff are very knowledgable and would be aware of the date format problems that can arise

1603+ and thereabouts can be confusing depending on the whim of the local vicar. James !st came to the throne of England on March 24th 1603 and this coincides with the first day of the Regnal year but the last day of the civil year of 1603 (I always have trouble sorting this out was renal 1 1603 or 1604) In addition we have the complexity of the new or old style form of dating, latin vs English, and/or church days vs calender days - and dare I mention that in 1611 the vicar would be mad or glad at his newly aquired KJV bibles

Taking the difficult road of double checking all sources I would be interested to know in what format the Register dates are in and out of curiosity in what format the transcription dates are given

Regards