PDA

View Full Version : Translation please?

Diane Grant-Salmon
20-06-2005, 11:21 AM
This is a paragraph from The Visitation of Cornwall - 1620 ..... could someone translate it for me please? Some words have letters not on the same line/level as the others, but are 'higher' up and the letters are smaller (e.g. in the second word of the first sentence ..... so an abbreviation of some sort?)

It's very difficult to try and explain what I mean, I hope you can understand? It's similar to how you would write the mathmatical term, when a number is squared.

Sciant prsentes & futuri qd ego Herveus de Lew dedi & concessi & hac presenti Carta mea confirmavi Ric'o filio Stephani de Trefuses p'homagio & servitio suo terr' in Villa de Trefuses cum p'tinent' sicut mete facta sunt & p'ambulati &c. usq'e ad ortum qd fuit quondam Acei de Trefuses &c. Hijs Testib(g?) ... looks like the first two strokes of a z but with a curly tail of a g) Waltero de Penhergard, Herveo de Trewinse, Reginaldo de Killegabes, Willo de Benedict, Johe Clerico de Trefuses & alijs, sanz dat.
Thankyou.

Geoffers
20-06-2005, 11:01 PM
This is a paragraph from The Visitation of Cornwall - 1620 ..... could someone translate it for me please? Some words have letters not on the same line/level as the others, but are 'higher' up and the letters are smallerHello Diane
I think you mean that some letters are written superscript. These are standard abbreviations of words. I confess that I hate trying to interpret this Latin, with a vengeance - but as no one else has yet had a go.........As I read it the document makes reference to 'Herveus of Lew' granting a deed/charta confirming that 'Ric'o' son of Stephan of Trefuses has (rights of??) homage and service together with land in the 'town' of Trefuses and mentions something about boundary marking - I believe it adds a list of witnesses.

Geoffers

Jo Simpsons
21-06-2005, 12:21 AM
I have been trying to understand/read Latin, goes in but doesn't come out at the moment! LOL
I have also been playing with this web site
http://www.tranexp.com:2000/Translate/result.shtml

It's worth a try to try and understand some. It helps to use fewer than 25 words for the best results. Have been having a little play with them it may be something to do with
godson, payment of dues to stitch earth upon country house.
You do get other results when broken down more. It also has loads of other languages too.
Good luck!
Jo :)

Diane Grant-Salmon
21-06-2005, 9:34 AM
Hi Geoffers,
I'm so sorry that my request *dropped into your lap* ....... but I am very grateful for your response and translation :D so thank you very much indeed. I have to confess that I passed Latin in my GCE many moons ago, but my memory bank has failed me these days .... yet more Senior Moments! Luckily this hasn't happened to you, as you are a mere 'slip of a lad!'

Hi Jo,
It's reassuring to know that someone else can't get latin to 'stick around' for very long! ;) Thankyou for the link, I'll have a 'play' when it's a bit cooler weatherwise.

Guy Etchells
21-06-2005, 10:24 AM
A quick translation, though I am not concentrating at the moment is -

Sciant prsentes & exist which I Herveus de Lew dedicate & grant & here effect my document to confirm Ric’o son Stephani de Trefuses homage & (payment of dues, military service) attached to the land upon the estate of Trefuses (when, with) p'tinent' just as if mete facta are & p'ambulati &c. usq'e at birth which have formerly [belonged to] Acei de Trefuses &c. His witneses
Waltero de Penhergard, Herveo de Trewinse,
Reginaldo de Killegabes, Willo de Benedict, Johe Clerico de Trefuses & alias he gives

I cannot think of the words in red at present and &c. means etc.
Cheers
Guy

Diane Grant-Salmon
21-06-2005, 10:27 PM
Hi Guy ..... that's brilliant! Thank you very much, it's lovely to have such clever friends as you and Geoffers, who are so willing to help! |bowdown|

Burrow Digger
22-06-2005, 4:03 PM
p'tinent'

Could this word be pertinent? I know its not latin but it might have a latin origin, yes?

BD