PDA

View Full Version : 2 questions one for me and one for someone at work

PaulaB
17-06-2005, 11:03 PM
A woman at work has been doing her family tree for a long time, she has got stuck with one family member that she can't find in the 1901 census he is

Thomas william Habberley born 23/10/1874 in Smethwick Staffordshire his mother was Ellen Habberley domestic Servant and there is a Phillip Habberley born in the same year. In 1891 both Thomas and Phillip where living with their grandparents in harborne Staffordshire. But she can't find Thomas in 1901 and he died 1952.

As to me we are back with the most irritating family in the world the Whadcocks of Chilvers Coton Nuneaton

Joseph Whadcock born 1827 Chilvers Coton is down as Whadwete in 1861 with his wife in Chilvers Coton. In 1852 he married Rebecca Bull in Nuneaton but I can't find him in the 1851 census. I went down to London to check in the family records office under Joseph whadcock any Joseph with a surname beginging with W and actually looked at the fich for Nuneaton, but I can't find him any ideas (short of nicking the tardis and wacking him over the head with a piece of 2 * 4!!!!!. Its weird I am having more ease with the more common name than the one I thought would be easy because its not that common. I have got the Woods back to 1796 but am stuck on the Whadcocks, this is including George Whadcock his brother who witnessed his marriage in 1852!!!!!!!

Pam Downes
18-06-2005, 1:00 AM
Hi Paula,
Were Thomas Habberley's grandparents still alive in 1901, and if so have they been found on the census? I looked on the 1901 TNA transcript as opposed to Ancestry, but couldn't find Phillip either. Therefore are T and P possibly soldiers or sailors and therefore overseas at the time of the census? Have they emigrated, before returning to the UK? Are there any events, e.g. marriage, birth of children, which will positively place Tom or Phil in the UK between 1891 and 1901?
I presume that all possible mistranscribed possibilities have been tried, e.g Habberly, Hatterl(e)y, Hatterby, Hallerbey, as well as beginning the name with M, N, W, Fl, St, and substituting the other vowels for the 'a'.

As to your Joseph, I presume that you've already looked for him under Woodcock?

Sorry can't suggest anything more inspired to either question.
Pam Downes

Clive Blackaby
18-06-2005, 3:02 AM
Have you tried following up the name Adcock - I looked for all persons born Chilvers Coton on Ancestry 1901 census, and found a family who don't appear to be your Joseph, but might be a line to pursue

Regards

Clive

PaulaB
18-06-2005, 5:45 AM
Joseph whadcock moved to Leicester somewhere after 1861 and before Rebecca Whadcock jnr was born in 1864 in Leicester. He died in 1885 and James whadcock and his family are down in the 1901 census as wagcock in Leicester where my grandfather William was born in 1893. I found a site online with the inhabinants of Chilvers Coton for 1836 and found Charles Whadcock with 3 children under 14 so they had to be their somewhere.

Geoffers
18-06-2005, 8:21 AM
Thomas william Habberley born 23/10/1874 in Smethwick Staffordshire his mother was Ellen Habberley domestic Servant and there is a Phillip Habberley born in the same year. In 1891 both Thomas and Phillip where living with their grandparents in harborne Staffordshire. But she can't find Thomas in 1901 and he died 1952.
I've searched using the surname HA*ERL* and HA*EL* aged 27 +/- 5years and only found the following born in either Staffs or near Birmingham:

William HATHERLEY, 27, bn Birmingham
Thomas HATHERLEY, 27, bn Wolverhampton
William HAMBERLEY, 22, bn Astley
William HABBERLEY, 22, bn England N.K
Tom HABBERLEY, 23, bn Longton

If you've tried and discounted these, there is the possibility that he appeared on the last page or two of the census book and that this page has been torn/destroyed (it happens)

Geoffers