PDA

View Full Version : Anc* Problems

strawberrymivvy
07-04-2011, 4:00 AM
Hi

I know Anc* has its detractors, but to be fair I've always found it a fairly useful and user-friendly site, and have a worldwide subscription.

Recently I've been finding that the "hints" are getting more and more obscure, in many cases showing no similarity/relation at all to the name they're trying to match to.

Then I had another member contact me about something that they could see in my tree, a "media item" attached to one of my ancestors - but when I look, it's not there - even though I know categorically it should be.

Now, to top it all, I'm getting an error message that I can't log in because "It appears you are logged on to another computer". Now, I know I'm not, as I don't have access to another PC, but even if I had in the past, it says this would be automatically logged out after 30 minutes of inactivity so I could login again on my PC. They do suggest that it's possible my account has been hacked, and to contact them to get my account reset - however, because of their EST operating hours, of course I can't talk to someone until tomorrow.

So, after that rant, my question is, am I the only one experiencing problems (and therefore is it indeed possible my account's compromised), or is there a bigger issue that others are having problems too?

:taz:

Peter Goodey
07-04-2011, 8:08 AM
Have you tried deleting the Ancestry cookie(s) and then trying to log in again?

cicilysmith
07-04-2011, 2:06 PM
No, you aren't the only one. Today is the second time in two days it's told me I can't get access because I'm logged in on another computer. I never sign out, but when I come back I've been signed out. It's due for renewal pretty soon so if it keeps on doing it I'll try findmypast, cicilysmith

MarkJ
07-04-2011, 2:19 PM
Just a thought - are you on a dynamic IP address? I.e does your ISP allocate a static IP address to you (something like 123.456.78.9) or does it change from time to time. If it is static, your ISP will tell you so if you ask.
If dynamic, I wonder if the IP address you were given has changed since you last logged on, so Ancestry (and yes, you can actually say the word here on B-G!) thinks you are already logged on at your previous IP address and hence the problem. You could try logging out at the end of a session - just in case your IP address changes, or perhaps ask your ISP for a static one (but that may cost and you might prefer the anonimity provided by an address which changes from time to time)

Zen Rabbit
07-04-2011, 3:27 PM
I have always liked anc* as I found it to have a broad scope of databases and good serch facilities. But lately it has been getting worse and worse. At one time you could narrow a search by listing family members in your search (spouse, parent) but now although it "appears" that you can do that the little greyed out box will not let you put anyone in. Also when I type in a name it no longer fills in the rest of the fields like it used to so birth/death dates and places have to be put in by hand which can be time consuming. Finally put in a name with a date and you will get anything from 1600 - 1950 even if you specify a date range. The databases are still very useful but the search facilities are rubbish.

strawberrymivvy
07-04-2011, 3:27 PM
Thanks all for comments, this morning it worked fine!

I will delete the cookies though, that's a good idea, and will also check out my IP address - I'm fairly sure it's static, but my techy hubby will know, so will find out later

Glad to hear I'm not alone Cicily, I also never sign out, and the PC is generally just put to sleep, very rarely shut down, let's hope it was a minor glitch whilst they upgraded something, it was most frustrating not being able to get anything done on my tree last night - just when I was in the groove!

Rachael1310
07-04-2011, 7:25 PM
I had the same problem too!

Zen Rabbit
17-04-2011, 9:15 AM
Hooray A*cstry seems to have sorted its search engine out. It will now automatically add data on an existing ancestor and the parent/spouse/sibling box is now working.

KathNZ
17-04-2011, 10:37 AM
Lucky for you !
My A* account is for Australia and England and for the last few days if I do a search it is only giving me Australian results. I told the technical dept & they told me to just use the card catalogue. Not much use to me as I use the old search page and now to get English results from an advanced search I have to untick the box at the bottom & wade through a lot of USA results which I can't read & don't want. They have obviously changed the way the searches work some how. I hope things are fixed soon as it is taking a lot longer for each search and they should know that old (or oldish ) people don't like change.

Well I feel better for having a rant at least I know that someone here will listen even if they can't fix the problem.:sad:

Nightryder
17-04-2011, 11:45 AM
Kath, If you log on to A* .co.uk everything will work exactly as you are used to but you have the option to just search for Uk records,Although I subscribe to A*.com.au I always use the uk site so there are not pages of American or Australian records that dont apply to me.

KathNZ
17-04-2011, 8:29 PM
Thanks for the tip, this does work for me but doesn't give me get results from UK, Australia & NZ which I used to get with the UK results. In the last week - things have changed, I can only assume they have changed something on the web site.

Tiger Steve
25-04-2011, 9:50 PM
I have used A* at the local records office, and have had some success with them. At home i considered the 14 day free trial but didnt take the option because of giving your debit card details. Failure to cancel the free trial means that they will automatically deduct a subscription fee. Tonight though it allowed me on as a registered guest. Not sure whether i've made a mistake with that, but i have not given any debit card details, so why is it allowing me on without asking for the 14 day free trial implications ?
And how long would a registered guest status last for ?

Any help appreciated.

MarkJ
25-04-2011, 9:56 PM
As far as I am aware, "registered guest" on Ancestry simply means you can use the forums there. I don't think you get access to the various databases - but as I don't use it myself, I may be wrong...

Pam Downes
25-04-2011, 10:15 PM
To Tiger Steve - are you trying to access a specific database, as some of them are free at the moment?
I've just signed up to access Canadian marriages which are free until the end of the week. I got a page which said 'View free records with a free account', and I then had to give my name and email.
Because the records are free I can access the images as well as the database.
Pam

Tiger Steve
25-04-2011, 10:24 PM
To Tiger Steve - are you trying to access a specific database, as some of them are free at the moment?
I've just signed up to access Canadian marriages which are free until the end of the week. I got a page which said 'View free records with a free account', and I then had to give my name and email.
Because the records are free I can access the images as well as the database.
Pam

Pam, i was looking at ww1 1914-1920 service records, and also the ww1 medal index. Its allowed me to view the documents that i thought you could only see at the records office or NA. I was aware that with the 14 day trial you need to give credit/debit card details, but like yourself i have only given name and email, and with that its automatically given me a username and password.

Pam Downes
25-04-2011, 11:27 PM
Pam, i was looking at ww1 1914-1920 service records, and also the ww1 medal index. Its allowed me to view the documents that i thought you could only see at the records office or NA. I was aware that with the 14 day trial you need to give credit/debit card details, but like yourself i have only given name and email, and with that its automatically given me a username and password.

Weird, but if you haven't given any credit card/address details then I wouldn't worry too much.
I know that until midnight Tuesday Australian time (so about 3pm in the UK) you can access Australian and New Zealand military records free because of Anzac Day, so I wonder if it might be something to do with that.
If it is, and you've got more military stuff to do, then get a wriggle on. :biggrin:

Have you tried to access any other types of records, to see what happens?

EDIT: I've just found that I can access Canadian army records too - though some of them I've already got through the online Canadian Collections (government) site.
Pam

Tiger Steve
26-04-2011, 9:28 PM
Weird, but if you haven't given any credit card/address details then I wouldn't worry too much.
I know that until midnight Tuesday Australian time (so about 3pm in the UK) you can access Australian and New Zealand military records free because of Anzac Day, so I wonder if it might be something to do with that.
If it is, and you've got more military stuff to do, then get a wriggle on. :biggrin:

Have you tried to access any other types of records, to see what happens?

Not as yet, but thanks for your interest in my post.