PDA

View Full Version : SMEE-Winifred......dod reqd please

YvonneC
05-04-2011, 3:41 PM
SMEE - Winifred (known as Winnie) born 1914, area of Newcastle. One of 9 children born to Edward Smee & Harriet Harford. Believed never to have married but had an illegitimate child in 1932, who is still alive but unfortunately unable to help.
Winnie emigrated to Australia, 29/8/1951, sailed from Southampton - Melbourne.This is the last def record I have been able to trace of her. 'Roots' members in Aust are unable to find any info on her either.
It was always thought she died in Aust but I have now been adv by family members this is not the case.
I have been told that she returned to UK early 1960s & again after June 1965, on the latter occassion she lived in Watford, Herts & remained there until her death. It is not known when she died but I have been assured it was def in Watford. I have looked on free BMD, FamilySearch & Herts names online but can't find anything.
Is there anyone out there who can solve this mystery for me please or point me in the right direction ???? :detective:

Many thanks
Yvonne

Pam Downes
05-04-2011, 4:03 PM
This seems to add up, but you will need the certificates to confirm things.

Marriage March quarter 1982 Watford registration district
Winifred A Smee and William J Low

Death November (month) 1987 Watford registration district
Winifred Ann Low birth date given as 9 March 1914

Pam

YvonneC
07-04-2011, 10:34 AM
Hi Pam
What a star you are ....... a big THANK YOU.

The info you have found all seems to tie up. Where did you find it ? I've now managed to find the marr rec on GR but can't locate the death rec.
I have her as Winifred A & have always thought the A was probably for Ann or Annie which was her Gran's name. My sister-in-law says she was in a relationship with a man named Low/e before she emigrated to Aust. but bearing in mind this is the same person who originally told me Winnie died in Aust in the 1960s !!!!
I think I will have to think about ordering the marr cert to be 100% sure it is not all just a conicidence though.

Many thanks again Pam.
Yvonne

YvonneC
07-04-2011, 10:40 AM
Hi Pam

Sorry I forgot to ask - do you know the cheapest way/website I am able to order a copy of the marr cert please ??

Y

Sue Mackay
07-04-2011, 10:42 AM
Hi Pam

Sorry I forgot to ask - do you know the cheapest way/website I am able to order a copy of the marr cert please ??

Y

http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/

Pam Downes
07-04-2011, 10:47 AM
Hi Yvonne,
I found the registrations in the GRO Index.
When you search on GR for the death registration are you searching in the right section? Records for 1984 onwards are in a separate section to the 1837-1983 ones. Winifred's death is definitely on GR because I've just done a search, though I don't have a sub to access the actual record.
Pam

YvonneC
15-04-2011, 3:37 PM
Hi Pam

Just to let you know that I have ordered & recvd a copy of Winnie's marr cert & it is def her - EUREKA !!! So I assume the death rec is also her - too much of a coincidence not to be.

Thanks so much for your help, another mystery bites the dust.

Best wishes yvonne

Pam Downes
15-04-2011, 5:02 PM
Hi Yvonne,
Thanks for the update.
Pleased to know that that I didn't waste your money when I said 'you need the certificates to prove it'. :biggrin:
Pam