PDA

View Full Version : LEWIS & MILCAH JACOBS ( DAVID JACOBS LINES)

phillip
17-03-2011, 9:04 PM
For my Jacobs/Litzen cousins and others I have located further census data on Lewis Jacobs and his wife Milcah.
This data adds further children to those known in the 1851 census.
1841 Census H0 107/737/7 (Records held by TNA Crown Copyright) Marsham Street Westminster St John The Evangelist Middx
Lewis Jacobs 45 glass dealer born in county
Milcah Jacobs 45 born in county
Marian 15 born in county
David 15 glass dealer born in county
Joseph 13 born in county
Solomon 9 born in county
Judah 7 born in county
Leah 5 born in county
Samuel 3 born in county

1861 Census RG9 49 ( Records held by TNA Crown Copyright)
4 Midway Street Westminster St John The Evangelist

Milcah Jacobs Mother in law widow 64 Marine Store Dealer b London
R Cohen Head Married 41 Marine Store dealer b London
Leah Jacobs U sister 25 b London
Angle Cohen daughter U 14

The interesting aspect from this record is who is R Cohen when Leah Jacobs is noted as his sister

Phillip

olliecat
17-03-2011, 9:56 PM
1861 Census RG9 49 ( Records held by TNA Crown Copyright)
4 Midway Street Westminster St John The Evangelist

Looking at the same address in 1851

1851: HO107 Piece: 1479 Folio: 467 Page: 3 (crown copyright, care of the TNA)
4 Medway Street, Saint John The Evangelist, Westminster
COHEN, Alexander, head, 34, Roy? Merchant, Westminster
COHEN, Rachel, wife, 31, Marylebone
COHEN, Angela, son, 4 yrs 6 mos, Westminster
COHEN, Eliza, daughter, 3 mos, Westminster

Hmm! Is this the same family? Is Angle/Angela a daughter or a son? Could the enumerator have made a mistake on the 1861 census and stuck R COHEN in the male column? Did Lewis and Milcah Jacobs have another daughter called Rachel?

More questions than answers. Alexander Cohen may have married in 1845. There is a Rachel Jacobs listed but can't tell if he married her from the list of possible spouses. Couldn't see the marriage on synagoguescribes.

Coromandel
17-03-2011, 10:27 PM
That looks very promising, olliecat

There is a birth registration Q4 1846 for an Angel Cohen in the Westminster district, which would fit nicely with the age of Angle/Angela.

I can't see the census right now: could Alexander Cohen be a rag merchant? Just now on the Old Bailey site I saw someone whose occupation was given as 'marine store dealer or rag merchant'.

olliecat
17-03-2011, 10:42 PM
I can't see the census right now: could Alexander Cohen be a rag merchant? Just now on the Old Bailey site I saw someone whose occupation was given as 'marine store dealer or rag merchant'.

Yes, it could be rag. It looks like a y on the image, but my g's often look like y's. You wouldn't like me as a census enumerator. :hammer:

In 1871, I think Rachel Cohen is with her son Angel in Islington. She is still married but hubby is not present. She is a Rag Wardrobe Dealer.

1871: RG10 piece 259 folio 62 page 45 (crown copyright, care of the TNA)

phillip
18-03-2011, 7:33 PM
My thanks for the additional data regarding Lewis and Milcah Jacobs. Free BMD shows the marriage entry Dec 1845 quarter Strand 1 395 for Rachael Jacobs and Alexander Cohen. There is also a London Gazette entry for The Chancery Court 1893 ( account opened in 1875) which refers to Ahrenfeld v Davis 1869 the legacy to Rachel Cohen the wife of Alexander Cohen. There are no further details but Davis is Solomon Davis Church Row Newington. There is a also reference under the same court case to the legacy of Angel Cohen the son of Elizabeth Cohen again there is no further data.
Phillip

phillip
21-03-2011, 4:09 PM
The will of Elizabeth Levy dealer in glass and widow Saint James Westminster 1847 confirms that she was the mother of Milcah who was her eldest daughter.
Elizabeth was married to Jacob Levy dealer in glass. Her will gives the address of 4 Tyler Street Golden Square.
A search on JewishGen London Trade Directories records shows:
Elizabeth Levy glass cutter 4 Tyler Street 1805-1807; lustre and art glass manufacturer 1818; cut glass manufacturer 1830; glass warehouse 1846
There is also reference to Elizabeth Levy 4 Duke St glass warehouse 1802 and Henry Levy glass seller 1790 same address although they are likely to be different Levy.
In her will Elizabeth names her eldest son Joseph; Milcah wife of Lewis Jacobs of Tottenham Court Road glass and chinaman; 2nd son David Levy; grandaughters Rachel, Amelia, Gildah,Sarah, Elizabeth the daughters of David; Rachel grandaughter and daughter of Lewis and Milcah; youngest son Lewis Levy; 2nd daughter Gildah Levy wife of Isaac Levy.
Further bequest to Elizabeth Levy of 39 Poultry City of London the widow of said son Joseph Levy and to grandaughters H..? Hannah, Rosa, Amelia, Rachel daughters of said son Joseph Levy.

There are several codicils and in the last one Elizabeth gives her age as 80 in 1842. The address of her son David Levy is 14 Hemmings Row Saint Martin's Middlesex.

JewishGen London Trade Directories shows:
Elizabeth Levy 14 Hemmings Row clothes dealer 1836
Joseph Levy 14 Hemmings Row army clothes salesman 1827-28
David Levy 14 Hemmings Row St Martin's Lane outfitter and tailor 1839 and 1846

This suggests that the two brothers David and Joseph were at the same address.
Phillip

nikkastar
03-07-2015, 2:19 AM
Phillip, there are several trees where Elizabeth's Levy's maiden name is Jonas. Have you ever heard this before?

phillip
03-07-2015, 7:44 AM
Anne
I am always cautious about adding data based solely on the matching names of individuals. The Synagogue Scribes PSEM 050 record is a synagogue record dated 1765/6 and gives:
Elizabeth JONAS address London father Solomon of London. Synagogue scribes have added the note Her father is GSMEM 1768-69 Zalman son of Jonah Necklace maker. Elizabeth's spouse is Jacob LEVI father Benjamin Levi. Synagogue Scribes note-GSMEM 1774-6 R Jacob b Wolf Levi Hossemtacher.

The issue I have regarding the Synagogue Scribe record is whether or not it refers to Elizabeth Levy wife of Jacob Levy glass cutter. There is no evidence I have seen in the family trees to confirm that the record does apply to Elizabeth.
The London Trade records on JewishGen suggest that Jacob Levy glass cutter Tyler Street Golden Square Holden 1799 was the husband of Elizabeth based on her own address of 4 Tyler Street and Elizabeth's own trade records suggest that Jacob was dead circa very early 1800s. I have seen no probate for Jacob but not all letters of administration or wills maybe be listed on the various sites.
We would need more data on Jacob and Elizabeth to confirm their parents.
Phillip

phillip
03-07-2015, 8:04 AM
Anne
If you look on the UK Apprentice Indenture records you will see reference to 2 Jacob Levy both Masters- Jacob Levy glass cutter St Martins in the Fields March 1795; Jacob Levy Tyler St St.James Westminster Glass cutter 23 Dec 1799; Jacob Levy St Martins in the Fields Middx glass cutter Dec 1806.
It looks as if Jacob Levy of Tyler St and husband of Elizabeth had 1 apprentice during the period but there are no records for Jacob post 1799 and Elizabeth is recorded in the trade directories circa 1804/5. My thinking is that between 1800-1804/5 Jacob Levy died.
Phillip

nikkastar
03-07-2015, 10:28 PM
Thank you for your help in this matter, Phillip. I definitely agree about Elizabeth Levy. I will not amend her details on my tree unless some other evidence appears linking her to the Jonas Family. As for Jacob, it was nice to hear that he had an apprentice. That means that Jacob was very good at his craft. I remember reading that Elizabeth is later called a glass cutter herself. Is this unusual for a woman of the time? Or is it in name only where her sons were running the shop?

phillip
04-07-2015, 8:00 AM
The London Trade Records indicate Elizabeth was running the glass business in her own right and her will also confirms that this was the case.
If you look on the JewishGen UK Data base under insurance policies you can see numbers of examples of widows assuming the insurance policy.
Phillip

nikkastar
08-07-2015, 12:46 AM
Thank you so much for the info,Phillip!