PDA

View Full Version : 1891 and 1901 Help

ewan
15-03-2011, 9:55 AM
This couple don't seem to want to be found, if anyone can help locate them it would be much appreciated.

Alice Cheverton born 1855 Isle of Wight married John James Williams in 1884 Isle of Wight.

They had a son Walter John in 1885 Isle of Wight.

The nearest sighting of a Walter John Williams is of a lad aged 7 born about 1884 (Waller J Greenwood/Williams son of Mary Greenwood aged 61) in 1891 living Southampton being stated as being born in Southampton living with a family of Greenwoods. However the change of name is confusing me. :confused:

In 1901 the same Walter now aged 19 is living with the same family now called Williams! mum being an Elizabeth aged 45.

I think this maybe the son of the above couple, but I can't explain the change of name and mum etc. My quest is to find out what happened to Alice and John James Williams, if anyone can help please.

Thank you for any help.
Ewan

Pam Downes
15-03-2011, 10:20 AM
The nearest sighting of a Walter John Williams is of a lad aged 7 born about 1884 (Waller J Greenwood/Williams son of Mary Greenwood aged 61) in 1891 living Southampton being stated as being born in Southampton living with a family of Greenwoods. However the change of name is confusing me. :confused:

In 1901 the same Walter now aged 19 is living with the same family now called Williams! mum being an Elizabeth aged 45.
Hi Ewan,
Have you looked at the actual image of the 1891 entry, or are you relying on Ancestry's transcription? Where the drippy transcribers have listed Elizabeth WILLIAMS aged 34 as Greenwood. Ditto with her three children also being transcribed as Greenwood when they should be Williams. If he is listed in the correct relationship, the next person on the list is John Barnett aged 72, and he is Elizabeth Williams' father. Also in the household is her sister Louisa Barnett.
I expect that this Walter J is the one with a birth registration in Southampton registration district September quarter 1883.

Have you checked passenger lists for John, Alice and family emigrating?
Pam

ewan
15-03-2011, 10:29 AM
Hello Pam thank you for your reply.

I haven't looked at the image, someone kindly sent me the details of the census information. I expect the birth registration you mention of a Walter John Williams Southampton in 1883 is the one from the 'mixed up' family in Southampton, it is just that I have found nothing near to the details of Walter John Williams son of John James and Alice Williams this looked like it could be him. Perhaps not then.

I haven't been able to find deaths of the family so I suppose the other alternative to their whereabouts is that they did emigrate somewhere. Or they have been miserably mis transcribed to what though??
Many thanks
Ewan

Richard1955
15-03-2011, 12:28 PM
Do you have the marriage certificate for Alice Cheverton and John Williams or is this just information
from elsewhere.
Do you have birth certificates for any of the family?

ewan
15-03-2011, 2:55 PM
Hello Richard thanks for your reply too.

I don't have the marriage certificate of the couple, nor birth certificates of any of the family.

I am currently looking for an individual but I feel I am coming towards the end of this now. The couple mentioned was one where I had put a question mark against. However, I do know that Alice's mum's maiden name was Prior.

Ewan

Pam Downes
15-03-2011, 3:19 PM
Hi Ewan,
I was going to ask if you had the marriage certificate as that would hopefully give us an age and occupation for John Williams, plus a father and an occupation for him.
Hopefully this Saturday I will have access to a marriage index which will tell me where John and Alice married, so you could then ask the relevant Record Office for a copy of the entry in the PR. Though don't hold your breath for a positive result. :smile5:

There's a tree on Ancestry which says that Frank Henry, one of Alice's older brothers was in living in Rich Hill Ward 2, Bates, Missouri in 1910 having arrived in the US in 1865. I haven't checked out those details, but it could be a clue to James and Alice also emigrating. Might be worth looking for any other Cheverton brothers who emigrated, and checking to see if any sisters married people with more unusual names so you can follow them through census/passengers lists, etc.
Trouble with any search is that Williams is such a common name, though Alice Emily is perhaps slightly less common.
Pam

ewan
15-03-2011, 5:23 PM
I don't know if you have seen the bmds for the Isle of Wight Pam, but the reference against John James Williams and Alice Emily Cheverton is RO 28/169. I would take this to be at a registry office as opposed to a church, as other references of marriages at churches have the beginning letters of COE. If you do have access to a marriage index and can establish where the couple were married that would be great, I could then see about getting a copy of the record.

Thanks for the advice about other trees, I will certainly follow that one up too, I had forgotten about the siblings of Alice it looks like there could possibly be 10 siblings registered 1847 to 1868, I'll see if they can be located also.

Thanks again for all your help, a few things to look into.

Ewan

Pam Downes
15-03-2011, 10:28 PM
I don't know if you have seen the bmds for the Isle of Wight Pam, but the reference against John James Williams and Alice Emily Cheverton is RO 28/169. I would take this to be at a registry office as opposed to a church, as other references of marriages at churches have the beginning letters of COE.
Hadn't seen those BMDs (IoW isn't my normal area) but that doesn't sound very hopeful for a church wedding.
However, to paraphrase, it ain't over till the fat lady's checked the microfiche. :smile5: Just don't hold your breath.
Pam

Richard1955
16-03-2011, 6:10 AM
Hi Ewan
I can't help feeling that your source of information is incorrect and possibly made up of some guesswork / errors.
Can I suggest that you yourself take this line of your family back to 1911 and find the entry on the census.
If you need some help from there then post a new message and we can then help you trace back through
the census and find other various info as we go back.
For us to help you we need name, age and occupation.

Sorry to be blunt
Richard

ewan
16-03-2011, 10:41 AM
Pam, I have been in contact with the record office and they tell me that possibly not a register office as they were not in use until a later date than this marriage in 1884, they suggested it could of been a chapel of some sort perhaps. Will wait and see if any other information arises when the lady checks the microfiche. :smile:

Richard, the source of the information I have is purely from the index of marriages. The couple are not blood related so I would not be able to trace them back. I am interested to find out what become of Alice Emily Williams after the birth of her child Walter John Williams in 1885.

No need to apologise I don't feel you are being blunt, just trying to help me, but unfortunately this is a process of elimination if I can find out what happened to the lady in question that will complete the investigation.

Thanks
Ewan

Pam Downes
16-03-2011, 10:48 AM
Hi Ewan
I can't help feeling that your source of information is incorrect and possibly made up of some guesswork / errors.
Can I suggest that you yourself take this line of your family back to 1911 and find the entry on the census.
If you need some help from there then post a new message and we can then help you trace back through
the census and find other various info as we go back.
For us to help you we need name, age and occupation.
Sorry to be blunt.
Richard
Richard,
I am totally confused by this message, because I don't understand your thinking.

I assume that Alice Cheverton is connected, either by birth or marriage, to a sibling of Ewan's direct line. And although with a direct line we do have to go back and obtain the proof via the 1911 census back to 1841 in that order, when we want to find out more about the link with any siblings of our direct ancestors we have to bring those siblings forward via the census in reverse order. i.e. 1841(or whichever year you've got back to with your definite proof) through to 1911.
Which is what Ewan is trying to do.
Which is why he doesn't have the 1911 census entry - because he doesn't have them in 1891 to bring forward to 1901 and hence the 1911.

I will admit the basic details may have got a little lost because there was mis-information from a census entry - which has now been sorted, but it should still be fairly simple to work out what details have been given, and what information asked for, by Ewan. viz:

1. Alice Cheverton (actually Alice Emily) born 1855 Isle of Wight married John James Williams in 1884 Isle of Wight. No marriage certificate obtained because like the rest of us, Ewan doesn't have the cash to splash on certificates for the outer branches of our trees. (Except as a last resort, which this might yet come to. :biggrin:)

2. They had a son Walter John(Williams) in 1885 Isle of Wight.

3. None of the family can be found in 1891. Can we find them in 1891 or 1901?

4. The Walter John Williams aged 7 and living in Southampton (according to Ancestry with the Greenwood family) in 1891, and then correctly living with mum Elizabeth in Southampton in 1901, is not the Walter John, son of Alice.

Pam

p.s. Slow typist cross-posted with Ewan. :smile5:

Richard1955
16-03-2011, 11:23 AM
Hi Ewan
Understood.
I see your in good hands with Pam on board and as she has dabbled previously
I'll leave it for the prof so as not to confuse or frustrate things.

Good luck

ewan
16-03-2011, 4:04 PM
Hello there Richard, thank you for your interest anyway, it is always appreciated.
Ewan

Pam Downes
16-03-2011, 4:34 PM
Pam, I have been in contact with the record office and they tell me that possibly not a register office as they were not in use until a later date than this marriage in 1884, they suggested it could of been a chapel of some sort perhaps.
Ooh, how weird.
I know that every registration district has a 'main' register office, plus one or more sub district offices, where births and deaths can be registered.
I had assumed that the 'main' register office was also used for non-ecclesiastical marriages from the beginning of civil registration, but from what you're being told that doesn't seem to be the case.
What I do know for certain is that there is a system to the page numbers used in the GRO Index each quarter for marriages, and the place of marriage can (usually) be pinpointed. I'll make more enquiries.
Pam

sheila one
16-03-2011, 7:39 PM
Hello

My name is Sheila and i have done a quick look for you and come up with Alice Emily Cheverton born 1855 isle of wight.
FATHER William born 1821
MOTHER Hanah born 1824

they had several children but 2 walter's one walter faulkner born 1852 and walter william born 1859.

Hope this helps

sheila

ewan
17-03-2011, 1:02 PM
Hello Sheila, thank you very much for your interest and help. :smile:

I have found at least 10 children baptised to William and Hannah Cheverton from 1847 - 1868. I think that there is only one of them with the name of Walter the other one you may be talking about is a Wallis William, a strange name I have never heard of it before.

Thank you again.
Ewan

auldjeannie
08-04-2011, 8:29 PM
Name: Carroline William
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1847
Relation: Visitor
Where born: Isle of Wight

Civil parish: North Arreton
Ecclesiastical parish: St George
Town: Wootton Bridge
County/Island: Hampshire

Registration district: Isle of Wight
Sub-registration district: Cowes
ED, institution, or vessel: 19
Household schedule number: 96
Frank Warne 30
Louisa Warne 30
Ernest Warne 5
Carroline William 54
George Williams 20

Pam Downes
09-04-2011, 1:41 AM
Ewan - my apologies, as I've forgotten to post my findings from the other week.
To start with, the index wasn't as easy to peruse as I'd thought it would be. I expected an alpha list, with a quick zoom to the relevant surnames, done. Well, Rabbie Burns was right - the best laid plans o' mice and men gang oft agley. The index was alpha - as in alpha for individual parishes, and then alpha surnames within the parishes. So a five-minute job took me the best part of an hour, and had to be left unfinished as I had to go to a meeting. :hammer:
I found no trace of Alice and John's marriage though I did find some other bits out - and I've managed to lose the sheet of paper with the details on. :hammer: (Wasn't anything too exciting - think it was that Alices' parents were widower and widow when they married.)
Will have a look for that sheet of paper later today.
Pam

ewan
09-04-2011, 2:22 PM
Hi Ewan,
I was going to ask if you had the marriage certificate as that would hopefully give us an age and occupation for John Williams, plus a father and an occupation for him.
Hopefully this Saturday I will have access to a marriage index which will tell me where John and Alice married, so you could then ask the relevant Record Office for a copy of the entry in the PR. Though don't hold your breath for a positive result. :smile5:

There's a tree on Ancestry which says that Frank Henry, one of Alice's older brothers was in living in Rich Hill Ward 2, Bates, Missouri in 1910 having arrived in the US in 1865. I haven't checked out those details, but it could be a clue to James and Alice also emigrating. Might be worth looking for any other Cheverton brothers who emigrated, and checking to see if any sisters married people with more unusual names so you can follow them through census/passengers lists, etc.
Trouble with any search is that Williams is such a common name, though Alice Emily is perhaps slightly less common.
Pam

Thank you auldjeannie for your reply, but I am not sure how you think that this census entry may connect with John James and Alice Emily Williams. Please let me know as I may be missing something.

Pam, I really must thank you for your time spent looking through those indexes for me, it is very much appreciated. A message has been left on ancestry (approx 2 weeks ago) regarding Frank Henry Cheverton (brother of Alice) but as yet I have had no reply. I haven't been able to check out siblings of Alice Emily Cheverton either to see what happened to them. I feel that Alice, John and their son Walter Williams may have emigrated but have not traced that path either. There is a Walter Williams aged 31 arriving at Liverpool in 1915 from Port Stanley a scaffolder but that is all the details I have and no one seems to know how I could find out anymore about the actual entry. Again it is another brick wall as to what become of an Alice. I have been in contact with descendants of the siblings of Alice but unfortunately they know nothing of her either. :smash:

Ewan

Pam Downes
03-08-2011, 1:59 AM
Hi Ewan,
As usual, I was looking for something else and I found my notes!

As I said, there's nothing much to report.
I did find the marriage entry of Alice's parents in the index.
William F Cheverton, widower, married Hannah Linington, widow, on 24 January 1846 in Barton.
His father was William Cheverton; hers was William Warren.

I checked Barton and Arreton for first marriages for William and Hannah, but without success.

I also checked the following C of E parishes for grooms called Cheverton and brides called Cheverton (for catching Alice) and Warren (for catching Hannah), but without success.

Bembridge, Binstead, Bonchurch, Brading, Brighstone, Brook.
Calbourne, Carisbrooke St John, Carisbrooke St Mary, Chale, Cowes St Mary, Cowes Holy Trinity (seems to be listed as West Cowes nowadays)
East Cowes
Freshwater
Gatcombe, Godshill
Kingston
Mottistone
Newchurch, Newport
I also checked Havenstreet, which seems to be St Peters; Havenstreet being 'part' of Ryde.

Strangely, considering that Hannah (according to the 1851 census was born about 1825, I can't find a marriage of a Hannah Warren to a Linington/Lininton/Limington after the start of civil registration in July 1837.

Sorry, I made you wait so long for so little. :smile5:

Pam

ewan
11-08-2011, 2:26 PM
This couple don't seem to want to be found, if anyone can help locate them it would be much appreciated.

Alice Cheverton born 1855 Isle of Wight married John James Williams in 1884 Isle of Wight.

They had a son Walter John in 1885 Isle of Wight.

I think this maybe the son of the above couple, but I can't explain the change of name and mum etc. My quest is to find out what happened to Alice and John James Williams, if anyone can help please.

Thank you for any help.
Ewan

Hello Pam, thank you for your time spent looking through for marriages, your help has been much appreciated. I think I had better give up on trying to find the above couple for the time being, they appear to be leading me on a bit of a goose chase.

Regards
Ewan