PDA

View Full Version : An Irish birth - 1920's

SueL
14-06-2005, 11:22 PM
Hello,
This is my very 1st posting so I do hope some kind soul may be able to help me?
I am trying to establish if a lady called Delma Frances who died in Peterborough in 1990 (dob 5th Feb 1926) was DELMA FRANCES QUINN born on 5th Feb 1926 in Ireland (possibly Tipperary?)

I have contacted the Irish GRO, the Dublin record office and the Tipperary office but they all want to charge me for a 5 year search and the issuing of a certificate. I don't want the certificate - all I simply want is a "Yes" or a "No" as to whether a birth was registered.

I don't know how difficult (or easy!) it is but I had assumed there would be something like the indexes for the English BMD registrations so thought it would be a case of just looking in an index, seeing as I have the actual date.

Can anyone help or advise me, please?
Many, many thanks,
Sue L.

JNicLiam
15-06-2005, 11:39 PM
Hi Sue

You could look at the indexes yourself on film at the LDS. Unfortunately Irish records are far less computerised than English.
Alternatively you could put a message up on the Tipperary message board and possibily connect with someone else working on the Quinn family in Tipperary. It is at

Jill

Researching COTTER Brosna Co Kerry and Cork City.
QUAID Cloncagh Co Limerick and Cork City
Williams West Derby

SueL
16-06-2005, 4:12 PM
Hi Jill,
Thanks for this. I will certainly search the Tipperary message Board.

Regarding the LDS, unfortunately the birth entries AFTER 1922 that they have filmed are Northern Ireland ones only, so don't cover Tipperary.

I will be checking these out anyway but outside of Southern Ireland, I am beginning to think there are no copies of indexes available.

Thank you for your time,
SueL.

Hall/Swan
18-11-2008, 2:43 AM
|jumphappy
I don't know how difficult (or easy!) it is but I had assumed there would be something like the indexes for the English BMD registrations so thought it would be a case of just looking in an index, seeing as I have the actual date.

This is Ireland....... come back in 20 years and you might find it online!|soapbox|

Peter Goodey
18-11-2008, 8:22 AM
Check the Family History Library catalogue for "General index of births, marriages and deaths registered in Saorstát Éireann [Irish Free State], 1922-1958"*

In particular you'll probably want

Index of births 1922-1925 FHL BRITISH Film 101229

and

Index of births 1926-1928 FHL BRITISH Film 101230

*The title is wrong. The Irish Free State became simply Ireland in 1937.

Hall/Swan
19-11-2008, 12:10 AM
Irish Free State!!! Nothing is/was free, but makes it sound Generous!!|jumphappy