PDA

View Full Version : George Harradine

suemalings
13-03-2011, 3:54 PM
George Harradine married Mary Pateman in Ashwell, Hertfordshire in 1843. They had a son called William John Harradine.

George's father was also named George Harradine.

I estimate that George Junior was born around 1822, if he was of age at his marriage. I cannot find any record of his birth or a baptism.

Can anyonbe elp me find either a baptism record for George Junior, or any details of the marriage of hs parents. I do not know his mother's name. Not much to go on.

pennydog
13-03-2011, 5:07 PM
Have you seen this entry on the 1841 census HO107-446-1/23-8 at High Street Ashwell Hertfordshire?

Harradeine Wm b1793 occ Ag Lab
Bathsheba b1796
GEORGE b1817
Peter b1821
Mary b1824
Charles b1826
William b1832
Caroline b1839
Samuel b1841

On the same census page is William Harradine and his wife Elizabeth both age 70.

This is the only George Harradine that I could find in Hertfordshire, but of course the father's name is not George (but Geo. jnr did name his son William!).

Census crown copyright/care of TNA

pennydog
13-03-2011, 5:14 PM
Sorry you can discount this family - in 1851 this George is still single living with his widowed mother.

I assume you have George Junior's marriage cert, giving his father's name as George - can you tell us both of the George's occupations?

pennydog
13-03-2011, 5:20 PM
Your George is on the 1851 census in High St. Ashwell (HO107-1707-488-9 crown coyright/care of TNA)

George Harradine age 30
Mary age 26
Eliza age 7
William John age 5
Matilda age2
Infant daughter age 1 month

All were born Ashwell - George is an ag. lab.

So where is he in 1841?

Coromandel
13-03-2011, 5:28 PM
I estimate that George Junior was born around 1822, if he was of age at his marriage. I cannot find any record of his birth or a baptism.

Rather than guessing his age at marriage, it would be better to look for the whole family on a census after the marriage, so that you have an idea of how old George was. The censuses from 1851 onwards also show birthplace, so you will be able to focus on that area in your search for baptisms. The 1881 census index on the old FamilySearch site shows a 59 year old ag lab called George Harradine in Ashwell, with wife Mary and three children aged 22, 18 and 13. None of them is your William John though: perhaps he had left home already? To confirm that this is the right family you will need to look for them on 1851/61/71 censuses. This George Harradine and the children are all shown as born in Ashwell, and the wife Mary (then aged 56) in Newnham, Herts.

P.S. sorry, I am cross-posting with you pennydog! Looks like the same family, so next step might be to find out whether the Ashwell parish registers have been transcribed...

suemalings
13-03-2011, 5:30 PM
William & Bathsheba's son, George never married. I have him on all the census records.

I have no info. on either George Senior or Junior.

All I know is that William Harradine married Denny Lee in 1868.

I have been given information from the marriage certificate that William's father was called George. There is a baptism record of William John Harradine in 1846 parents George and Mary.

There is a marriage of George Harradine and Mary Pateman.

But I cannot find any further records of a William John. The registration on Free BMD of Denny and Williams marrage only states William.

Coromandel
13-03-2011, 5:49 PM
There are extracted baptisms for Ashwell on the IGI, with some Harradines (and similar spellings), but no obvious one for a George of the right sort of age.

I note that there are numerous Harradines whose births or baptisms were recorded in the Independent Chapel in Ashwell (BMD Registers website, taken from register RG 4/738 deposited at The National Archives) including a whole flurry apparently in 1837 (the cut-off date for these registers). Perhaps this could be your George, but with a delayed record of his birth? It looks like at this particular chapel there may have been a rush to record events before the register was handed in to the Registrar General.

You can buy credits with BMD Registers to view scanned images of the registers, or else see them free at The National Archives, Kew.

pennydog
13-03-2011, 5:57 PM
On the 1861 census RG09/812/4/2 (crown copyright/care of TNA) still at High St. Ashwell
George is now 39, Mary 35 (now puts place of birth as Newham Herts), Eliza is now Ellen age 17, William John 15, Matilda 12, Elizabeth 10, Hannah (an ink blot obscures her age), Emma 4, Rebecca 2.

George and William are ag labs.

Looked through the whole of Ashwell on the 1841 census - plenty of Har(r)adines but no George senior or Junior.

Kerrywood
13-03-2011, 6:02 PM
Perhaps this could be your George, but with a delayed record of his birth
Judging by the index at BMD registers, that George seems likely to be the son of Edmund and Martha. He is aged 4 in 1841.

HO107/446 book 1 folio 8 page 9
(reference to record held by TNA)

Coromandel
13-03-2011, 6:05 PM
Judging by the index at BMD registers, that George seems likely to be the son of Edmund and Martha. He is aged 4 in 1841.

Yes, you're right Kerrywood: in fact I have now found the baptism on the IGI and shows him as son of Edmund and Martha, born and bapt. 1837.
Time for me to throw in the towel, I think.

janbooth
14-03-2011, 11:05 AM
Perhaps the reason for not finding George's baptism with a father George is that he could be the following George:

From Ashwell Parish Register Transcripts:

Born 20 October 1821, baptised 27 July 1834 George HARRADINE son of Rebecca HARRADINE (single woman now married to John GENTLE).

1841 census of Ashwell:

HO107/446/1, folio 8, page 9
High Street

John GENTLE 60 Ag La
Rebecca do 35
George do 25
John do 15
Saml do 12
Frederick do 10
Alfred do 9
Frances do 7

All born in the county.

John GENTLE, widower, and Rebecca HARRADINE, spinster, married at Ashwell on 17 August 1822. John GENTLE was previously married to Elizabeth CRANE on 15 October 1794 at Ashwell. They had 2 children James & Mary and Elizabeth was buried on 25 November 1811 at Ashwell, so the George shown in the 1841 census was not the child of John GENTLE.

There is no other George HARRADINE born/baptised in Ashwell c1821 according to the PR Transcripts and I can find no George GENTLE corresponding to the one in the 1841 census baptised in Ashwell either, nor can I find a corresponding George GENTLE in the 1851 census. Both John & Rebecca GENTLE had died in Ashwell before the 1851 census.

Let me know what you think and if you require any further information from the PR Transcripts I am happy to oblige.

Janet

Coromandel
14-03-2011, 11:27 AM
That explains George's elusiveness! Well done, Janet, a great find.:)