PDA

View Full Version : Search for a comedian

Tederator
01-03-2011, 11:16 AM
My Great Grandfather, Albert Bonaventura Ludovico, was born in 1837 and married in 1868, on the marriage certificate it shows his occupation as 'Comedian', whether he put this as some sort of joke I don't know. Is there anywhere I could find out if in fact that this occupation as stated is true? In the census listings his occupation is given as a housepainter. He died in 1912.

Thank you.

Richard1955
01-03-2011, 12:21 PM
Hi Tederator
You might try 'googling' Albert's full name. You will find a Geoff with that name in there tree.
Looks like there are also a couple of people with the same surname on Myspace and Facebook.

A good joke for someone who is not a comedian perhaps and if Albert was then he may have had a stage name.

Coromandel
01-03-2011, 12:34 PM
The term comedian didn't necessarily mean joker: it could be used as a general term for an actor. So it is worth looking for Albert on some of the theatre history websites mentioned in this recent thread (http://www.british-genealogy.com/forums/showthread.php/66377-Frederick-Dewey-Gibson-aka-Eric-Cole).

Sue Mackay
01-03-2011, 12:41 PM
I also googled the name and discovered from this thread (http://www.british-genealogy.com/forums/showthread.php/28711-Another-Newbie?p=156167) that Albert's surname was BENZONI. The marriage certificate amongst the LMA records just lists his name as Albert BENZONI, occupation comedian. I presume you have got his middle names from another ceertificate? He might well have used his middle names as a stage name. You could try googling The Stage Archive. For a modest fee you can get 24 hours access

Tederator
02-03-2011, 2:12 AM
Hi, thank you all for your replies, I've been away from genealogy for a while so I had lost touch a little bit.
I will search through the threads mentioned in your replies and see what I can come up with.
Albert Bonaventura Ludovico Benzoni and his wife Sarah have been a mystery all through my research.
Searching for Sarah's birth led me a merry dance as there are dozens with the same name, I eventually found her in BMD born 1848 Clerkenwell as Caroline Sarah Ann Moss, I have her birth certificate and it shows this, but she never used the name Caroline very much, if at all.She used the name Annie quite a lot. In the 1891 census Albert does not show up with his family, where did he go, I have not been able to find out, Sarah took up with Henry Homerston, maybe sometime between 1891 and 1895, and they had one child, I think, as far as I can find out. Albert eventually turns up in Lambeth Workhouse and dies in 1912 at that establishment. I think there he used the name Alfred.
Thank you all again for your assistance, I shall continue to look for my Comedian GGrand father with some hope? of success.

PS as a postscript to this reply about two years ago I legally changed my surname to BENZONi so reclaiming the Family Name.

Ted