PDA

View Full Version : What does this mean?

Valman
24-02-2011, 4:38 PM
l have a birth/baptism in the Lying in Hospital, Endell Street, Holborn London on the 22nd August 1765 for a George Piles, l have looked at the register and image on BMD and it shows Parish of Abode St.Andrew,Newcastle upon Tyne, Registration Town, Holborn, Middlesex. Father Gowin Piles Profession Soldier, Mother Elizabeth. l've had a look around and can find no mention of the name Gowin anywhere, but on the image its clearly written Gowin, l can't find a marriage or any other children to this couple, has anyone any ideas as l'm beat on this one!

Valman

Nicolina
24-02-2011, 6:17 PM
GOWIN is a surname in it's own right, so could possibly have been given as a christian name. Maybe a PILES married a GOWIN.
One thing does puzzle me. Is the date, you give, a typo?

Coromandel
24-02-2011, 7:16 PM
Try experimenting with changing vowels around and swapping 'w' for 'v': GOWAN, GAWAIN, GAVIN... (spelling of names was often very variable in those days, so 'Gowin' might just be a rough approximation of what the name sounded like.) Also perhaps could begin with a C instead of a G (Cowan etc.)

Kerrywood
24-02-2011, 7:38 PM
l have looked at the register and image on BMD
Have you looked at both the 1765 records on BMDregisters?

RG8/56 is the birth register, but RG8/62/1 should record the baptism too. There's always a slight chance that they may differ, or that one may add something to the other.

I do appreciate that unless you have a subscription to TheGenealogist it is costly to look at both records. :frown5:

Coromandel
24-02-2011, 7:45 PM
Ah . . . try leaving the 's' off the surname too:

IGI has a Gawin Pyle (son of Godfrey Pyle) baptised 6 Aug 1732 "St Andrew Par Reg and Nonconf, Newcastle upon Tyne"

Valman
24-02-2011, 8:50 PM
GOWIN is a surname in it's own right, so could possibly have been given as a christian name. Maybe a PILES married a GOWIN.
One thing does puzzle me. Is the date, you give, a typo?

Anything is possible l guess, the date is right 1765.

Valman

Valman
24-02-2011, 8:52 PM
Have you looked at both the 1765 records on BMDregisters?

RG8/56 is the birth register, but RG8/62/1 should record the baptism too. There's always a slight chance that they may differ, or that one may add something to the other.

I do appreciate that unless you have a subscription to TheGenealogist it is costly to look at both records. :frown5:

Yes l have looked at both the birth and baptism and they say the same things.

Valman

Valman
24-02-2011, 8:57 PM
Ah . . . try leaving the 's' off the surname too:

IGI has a Gawin Pyle (son of Godfrey Pyle) baptised 6 Aug 1732 "St Andrew Par Reg and Nonconf, Newcastle upon Tyne"

Yes Coromandel, l think you may be right with that, l had a look at the IGI and Gawin does sound about right, as the non conformist register does give place of abode St. Andrew, Newcastle upon Tyne, which ties in with the birth of the father possibly. There is also a George born in 1737 to Godfrey so the name may have followed on.

Thanks very much for your help.

valman.