PDA

View Full Version : Need Help Finding Illegitimate Child

cardem
21-02-2011, 7:14 PM
Hi!

A family rumour hints at my grandfather (Frank Hewkin) leaving a pregnant woman behind in Saddleworth while he jumped a ship for Canada in 1921. He died in 1981. I have tried baptism records with no luck. Without the name of the mother the search seems impossible. Any advice?

Thank you.

Waitabit
21-02-2011, 11:18 PM
Hi Cardem, welcome to the Forum.
I'm guessing that you've tried just his name with a Google? ,just in case anyone else is looking for him also.

It's quite possible that if unmarried, a Woman left behind & pregnant would after losing hope of a continued relationship would endeavour to put all thought & memory of him out of her mind. Perhaps she married & raised her child ( if there was one) as belonging to her new Husband.

Possibly her Family didn't know of her pregnancy or the name of the Father & so would not have been able to help any one in a search, including the child in later years.

Remembering there was a nasty war in following years.
Sorry I didn't mean to start a book, but dont be too discouraged if info doesn't jump out quickly for you.
On a brighter note, there are so many avenues open to searchers now & many eager helpers, so be positive & enjoy your search. :)

Colin Rowledge
21-02-2011, 11:47 PM
While it doesn't help with your initial problem, I found Frank along with amother rellie [possibly a brother] arriving in St. John N.B on April 19 1921 The ship was the Melita. Frank was aged 20 indicated he was a Farmer and both were headed for Lloydminster.

At least we know he arrived here safe and sound

Where did he live prior to shipping out? That may give a clue to tracing babies born in 1921 to unwed mothers.

Good hunting

Colin

anamarja
21-02-2011, 11:57 PM
Hi, I think I've found the child. Given that it's a 1921 birth, I'll send you a private message with what I've found, since it is conceivable the person is still alive.

Colin Rowledge
22-02-2011, 12:06 AM
A possible family in England - Frank age 10, brother John age 13 in Greenfield, Yorkshire. Parents ran a pub called the Royal George Inn.

Ring any bells?

Colin

cardem
22-02-2011, 4:43 AM
Thank you for your reply. I have tried Google to no avail. I know it is all a long shot but I will keep searching.

Carey

cardem
22-02-2011, 4:49 AM
Yes, that's him. He and his brother John were on the Prairies for awhile then settled in Vancouver. In the 1911 census he lived at The Royal George Pub in Greenfield, Saddleworth. He was still living in that area (after a stint in the army) when he shipped out. I will continue to focus on that area.

Thank you.

Carey

cardem
22-02-2011, 4:59 AM
Yes, that's him. I know his father ran the Pub/Inn until 1914 and that the family remained in the area but I have no record of Frank until he arrived in Canada in 1921. Perhaps this will remain a family mystery.....

Carey