PDA

View Full Version : Probate calendar

RobinC
20-02-2011, 9:34 AM
Am I right in thinking that it only includes people who have had wills executed?

The reason I am asking is because the only relative that I've found on it is Herbert Douglas Crouch (1938), I can't seem to find any other relatives on it so would that mean they have been missed off by accident or that they did not leave a will?

I'd really like to locate more wills if it is possible to do so!

Kerrywood
20-02-2011, 9:51 AM
Am I right in thinking that it only includes people who have had wills executed?

No. The Calendar lists grants of both probate and letters of administration, but only from 1858 onwards.

so would that mean they have been missed off by accident or that they did not leave a will?
If you are looking at Ancestry's offering, note this from their Search page ...

Missing volumes:
Our collection covers 80 years from 1861 to 1941. We currently do not have the books for the years 1858-1860 and there are some gaps for the years 1863, 1868, 1873, 1876, 1877, 1883, 1888, 1899-1903 and 1910-1911. However, we hope to add records for these years as soon as possible.

See this page (http://www.hmcourts-service.gov.uk/cms/1226.htm#003) for more information on finding a full version of the Calendar, and follow the link to their Registry page.

RobinC
20-02-2011, 10:19 AM
The people I'm trying to locate on the probate calendar are:

Henry Crouch (died 1902 in Greenwich) I believe this Henry is my 3 x great grandfather (Henry William Crouch) but he appears to have been in the Greenwich Workhouse with the rest of the family relocating to West Ham.

Robert Henry David Crouch (died 1900 in West Ham)

Robert Henry Crouch (died 1904 in West Ham)

Robert Peter Crouch (died 1928 in West Ham)

Rose Elizabeth Ellen Day (died 1931 in West Ham)

Thomas William Witherell (died 1934 in Billesdon, Leicestershire)

Thomas Witherall (died 1907 in Newbury)

If anyone comes across any of these people, I'd be hugely appreciative!

Peter Goodey
20-02-2011, 5:36 PM
You may find a copy of the calendars on microform available at your nearest main library or record office.

At the moment your profile just says Location:England so I can't offer any more detailed advice.

Coromandel
20-02-2011, 6:27 PM
Don't get your hopes up too high, Robin, because the majority of people did not leave wills. Even in 2009, it is estimated that only 40% of those dying in England and Wales had left wills.

Having said that, it is always worth checking, even if your ancestors were humble folk like mine.

RobinC
20-02-2011, 6:31 PM
Peter, I'm in Oxfordshire.

Coromandel, I was hoping that Robert Henry may have left a will as he was a lighterman by occupation.

Coromandel
20-02-2011, 6:36 PM
Ah, so you're in Oxfordshire too, Robin. Well, until a few days ago you could jave consulted the National Probate Calendar on microfilm at Oxfordshire Studies in the Westgate Library, Oxford. But the library is closed at the moment. A scaled down version of Oxfordshire Studies is moving to the same site as the Oxfordshire Record Office at the old St Luke's Church in Cowley. Some of their material is to be left behind at the Westgate, I believe, but I don't know where the NPC will end up.

RobinC
20-02-2011, 8:21 PM
I am going to try order a copy of Herbert Crouch's will from 1938 and also see if the wills for the people named above are available.