PDA

View Full Version : Wellesley

snowdrop
12-06-2005, 8:43 PM
Hello is anyone any information on this family please.
Richard Victor Wellesley 1854-1932
Aida wife in 1910
children from 1891-1909
Olga
Gypsy
mascott
Constance
granite
ronald
victor
eric
faith
living in Frithville Grd Hammersmith 1891
later years Ilford

june

Clive Blackaby
13-06-2005, 11:18 PM
Try this mailing list

[email protected] ([email protected])

Whilst I believe it is based largely on the Wesley family (notably John Wesley, founder of Methodism), they are descended from the same line as the Wellesley family (Dukes of Wellington) traceable back to ca 938 AD.

Usual procedure for Rootsweb lists - send a mail to

[email protected] ([email protected])

with the single word subscribe in the message subject and body.

I have seen a tree of the two families, but cannot recall whether it includes any of the names in your posting

snowdrop
15-06-2005, 11:13 AM
Hi Clive many thanks but after 12 years of trying i think its only me looking.
do have plenty of info after 1901, but what i really need is the birth place of Richard Victor Wellesley,america?do have parents names but cant trace them.
I have tried mailing lists but no luck yet.

regards june

Clive Blackaby
18-06-2005, 2:24 PM
You probably already have this, but just in case

Frithville Gardens is in Shepherds Bush, London W12, near enough to Hammersmith for me to be sure it is the right address. This is consistent with the streets on adjoining census sheets.
Unusually, the enumerator wrote the address in full on each household - it looks more like Frittiville.
From the occupations of the neighbours, it looks as if this was a little artistic community!

1901 census:

RG12 42 page 12

64 Frithville Gardens, Hammersmith, London.
St Stephens Parish.

Richard Wellesley, Head, 36 Actor, America
Aida, Wife, 22 Actress, London Pimlico
Olga, Daughter, 1,, Sussex Hastings
Robert Collinson, Visitor, Single, 19,, Yorks Ripon.

Hate to say this, but actors do seem to have an anarchic attitude to surnames, so they may not be Wellesleys at all.
(This couple were obviously well ahead of their times: Mascott and Granite were obviously fore-runners of a fashion that later gave us Trixibell and Dandelion! ;) )

snowdrop
18-06-2005, 7:34 PM
Hi Clive thankyou yes i do have this, but do agree re name its all a mystery
Richard & Aida (ne Harris b 1866 Pimlico) didnt get married untill 1910 in Ilford same day they and all kids bar Olga were converted to The Catholic Faith.
On Richards convert cert his mothers name is Eliza Wellesley ne Bartlett
on marriage cert fathers William dec occ expert in timber.(cant find these two)
The last child Faith b1909 is the only one whose birth was registered nothing for the rest of them,not in Harris or wellesley!Richard called himself aCaptain in the US army and an English citizen not true no records at N Archives.
Any thoughts would be helpful.

Regards June

Clive Blackaby
18-06-2005, 10:23 PM
Just a thought - have you tried Ireland? The Wellesley family had considerable land holdings there (together with an Irish peerage, though I don't have the details to hand)

snowdrop
19-06-2005, 9:55 AM
Hello Clive thankyou will try Ireland again.
regards june