PDA

View Full Version : Albert FERNANDEZ died 1935

annek
09-02-2011, 6:13 PM
Hi All,

I've really only just started trying to trace my ancestors. Finding it very difficult as there are so many sites to choose from. This is the only site I've registered and I am hoping to find my "tracing ancestry" legs and get a lot of tips from you more experienced guys. I honestly don't know where to start. I have actually started with me and have only worked back as far as my grand-father. I have his death certificate but the problem is he lived and died in India. Oh well I will keep trying and will read all your posts to get clues etc.

bigmonkey
09-02-2011, 6:43 PM
Hi I'm very new to this too, but I found a lot of info about my India rellies on the following site
http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#start

LittleSpark
09-02-2011, 7:50 PM
Hi Annek :seeya:
Welcome to BG the best forum for help with any queries you have.

The death certificate you have should show how old your grandfather was when he died (hopefully it's on if he died in India) thereby giving you an idea of when he was born. If he was born in UK you could order his birth certificate which would then give you HIS parents - and away you go!

You'll soon become as addictive as everyone here - good luck with your research.

Sheila

annek
11-02-2011, 3:16 PM
Thanks LittleSpark, grand father was not born in the UK and the stamp on the burial (not death) certificate looks like PETRI GANGAPUR DIOEC. AJMEREN. I've looked through the Catholic Church directory and cannot seem to find this church. If you or anyone else have any ideas they would be most welcome. The date he died is 13th April 1935 and it gives his age as 48 years which puts his year of birth as 1887.

annek
11-02-2011, 4:33 PM
Hi I'm very new to this too, but I found a lot of info about my India rellies on the following site
http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#start

Hi bigmonkey

I tried your link but unfortunately did not find anything under my grand fathers (Albert Fernandez) I'm getting very frustrated. I just seem to be going around in circles on different websites.

Jan1954
11-02-2011, 6:38 PM
...... the stamp on the burial (not death) certificate looks like PETRI GANGAPUR DIOEC. AJMEREN. St Peter's Church, Gangapur City, Diocese of Ajmer-Jaipur. Gangapur is in Rajasthan. :wink5:

annek
12-02-2011, 7:19 PM
Thanks guys & gals for pointing me towards family search I could not find anything on my grand father so I switched to my maternal grand mother and found loads. I'm so excited that at long last I've finally started finding my ancestors. Can anyone explain the numbers at the bottom ie. indexing project no. and source film no? Also how can I get hold of birth, death or marriage certs? XX

olliecat
12-02-2011, 7:28 PM
Whenever you find information on family search you are interested in, you can use the batch and film numbers to order the microfilm/fiche from a local LDS family history center near to you. This means you can view the original records for yourself.

Have a look here at how to order microfilms ...

https://wiki.familysearch.org/en/Ordering_Microfilm_or_Microfiche_from_a_Family_His tory_Center

You would also need to find out where the nearest local LDS family history center is to you. If you do decide you want to view a particular microfilm/fiche, you should check first to see if your local center already has the film available.

Peter Goodey
12-02-2011, 7:36 PM
Feed the source film number into the Family History Library catalogue

http://www.familysearch.org/eng/Library/FHLC/frameset_fhlc.asp

Choose Film/fiche search.

You'll then obtain the film title. Click the title for details of the film(s). You can order the film for viewing at a local Mormon establishment or you may prefer to go to the British Library (India Office Records). I'm guessing about where the original records are but since you posted in the India forum... :biggrin:

olliecat
12-02-2011, 7:56 PM
I could not find anything on my grand father so I switched to my maternal grand mother and found loads.

just wondering about your grandfather Albert FERNANDEZ. You have his death certificate, have you also located his marriage certificate? Wondering if he had a middle name not mentioned on his death certificate or if there are additional clues to be had on his marriage certificate. Also what was his occupation?

annek
19-02-2011, 11:56 AM
Hi Olliecat

Sorry it has taken so long to reply. I do not have his marriage cert. I think his middle name is George. Occupation as stated on burial cert is Guard in the B. B. & C. J. Ry (this is what it looks like to me.

olliecat
19-02-2011, 12:33 PM
Hi again

What was the name of Albert's wife? This would help us to search for a marriage for him. Also, children's names would be helpful (provided they are no longer still living.)

geneius
20-02-2011, 10:37 AM
B. B. & C. J. Ry (this is what it looks like to me.

Hello

Could it be Bombay Baroda & Central India Railway, (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bombay,_Baroda_and_Central_India_Railway)

annek
20-02-2011, 12:15 PM
Hi again

What was the name of Albert's wife? This would help us to search for a marriage for him. Also, children's names would be helpful (provided they are no longer still living.)

Albert's wife was Rosa Alberts. She apparently came from Portugal with her father, John Joseph Alberts (doesn't sount very portuguese) around 1915ish after her mother, 3 brothers and a sister were killed during some sort of civil war. Albert & Rosa had 4 children, Blaize, Patrick (my dad), Blanche and Joseph who are now all deceased. I found an marriage entry for Rosa's sister, Gloria on the familysearch.org website which gave the bride's father's name as Joseph Alberts but did not find a marriage entry for Rosa.

Thanks for your help

Anne

annek
20-02-2011, 1:05 PM
Hello

Could it be Bombay Baroda & Central India Railway, (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bombay,_Baroda_and_Central_India_Railway)

Yes I think you're right. Looked at the links you sent. I now know who Albert worked for. Thanks for your help

Anne