PDA

View Full Version : Lancashire Libraries Online

Ruffio
09-02-2011, 9:37 AM
Hope I am not breaking any rules here but I have just come across a great free site for looking at old newspapers.
You do have to join a council library online. If some one lets me know if it is acceptable to post this info I will add more details.

Kate

Procat
09-02-2011, 12:05 PM
Hi Kate,

You can post the details here. However, it may be best to separate the url so it is not a live link. e.g.

www.
british-genealogy.com

Waitabit
10-02-2011, 12:12 AM
Hi Kate, I tried similar site in mid 2009. applied to join Council Library online. A very helpful chap sent me a membership ' Card number' said he wouldn't bother sending the card to Australia unless I 'really require' it. He didn't think the Liverpool Record office had much online at that time. I wanted to view old newspapers!

The card number never worked for me, I think someone here said it needed specific letters to be useful. My card no. had one letter & 8 numbers, unless one of those numbers was meant to be a letter O. Emailed said Gent once. Never sorted. Liverpool still eludes me. :(

jac65
10-02-2011, 12:39 AM
Hi Waitabit

Liverpool Libraries and the Liverpool Record Office are not part of the Lancashire County Council Library as Liverpool City Council has its own library network. What Kate is referring to is that Lancashire County Council seems to allow anyone in the world to join their library and to get access to subscription databases such as Gales 19th Century British Newspapers. I would be a bit cautious about publicising this too much as the library may be in breach of the terms and conditions of their subscription. A few years ago another County Library used to allow anyone access to the 19th Century British Newspapers but I believe Gale became aware of it and forced the library to withdraw access to non-residents of the county. Most, if not all, other Libraries that have subscriptions to the database limit access although some libraries do allow non-residents access to material of Local Interest etc.

All Australian residents can get online access to the 19th Century British Newspapers and dozens of other databases by applying to the National Library of Australia for a Library card.

Andy

Charz
10-02-2011, 3:04 AM
Hi Waitabit
There is a good site called Liverpoolinprint I found some results for my GGrandfather there, mentioned my results on another forum and somekind person looked it up for me, went physically to the applicable depository and emailed me a copy ~ a newspaper article regarding my GGrandfather with a drawing done by the newspaper artist !! So there is hope out there for Liverpool researchers
Good luck

Peter Goodey
10-02-2011, 8:41 AM
the library may be in breach of the terms and conditions of their subscription.

We can be pretty sure that they are. Gale will catch up with them soon enough.

To conform with the licensing conditions, many libraries have introduced restrictions such as the need to pick up the card in person.

Kent is quite restrictive -

For licensing reasons, only people who live, study or work in Kent can access our online resources and eBooks/ eAudiobooks remotely. You will need to confirm your online registration in a library and provide some proof of the above prior to doing so.

Ruffio
10-02-2011, 12:08 PM
I have had a quick look and didn't spot anything in the terms and conditions other than the usual not for commericial use etc. If any one wants to check it out,
www.lancashire.gov.uk/onrl/
it is easy to join on line, you are given a temp. barcode and your card is posted out to you within 5 days. You do need the barcode to access the info.
Kate

Waitabit
10-02-2011, 11:13 PM
Charz:
Thanks for that, always happy to have another go in the pool. Haven't seen that site before.

Jac65: the Library I applied to was the one in William Brown St. I do have a NLA Library card, but time seemed to elude me for a time to get to use it properly, Thankyou.

Thanks everyone for input here, cheering to know what's where & how to access it. Sad about Kent tho'.

Peter Goodey
11-02-2011, 8:14 AM
All this might eventually be irrelevent. In the Yorkshire area there are a number of library closures with the smaller branches disappearing. If the remaining ones have their annual budgets cut it's possible that they will have to re-examine the resources they provide.

Libraries and Archives are very likely to be in the firing line in many parts of the country. Family historians can do their bit to campaign to protect them.

geneius
11-02-2011, 9:48 AM
Hello

The link at #8 appears to be acting as a facilitator for various internal links and external sites, copyright ect, will be shown on the terms of Service of the external sites.

It looks like an on line information finder for the Lancashire Area and could be a useful resource for those researching in that county

g

Ruffio
11-02-2011, 8:55 PM
I am still finding my way around the newspapers but just putting in the name of the small village in Yorkshire I am from brought several interesting bits of news as well as the BM&D. I am having fun :)