PDA

View Full Version : Date when this photographer operated

vincenov
01-02-2011, 10:37 PM
Hi, I have a photgraph of my great great grandmother in pre April 1918 WAAC uniform. The photographer has impressed his name on the photo as `Goodale & Mayhew SYDENHAM`
Has anybody any detail as to the years he was in business. Thank you

vincenov
02-02-2011, 5:27 PM
Hi, Thank for your suggestions. I am working my way through the historical directories but no luck so far with searches for London or Oxfordshire Sydenham's/photgraphers. Wow, ddin't know all that was online!
I have managed to upload the photo to photobucket as you also suggested and it can be seen at
http://s1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee422/vincenov/ quite a nice photo.
The photographers impressed mark of Goodale & Mayhew SYDENHAM is at the lower rhs but only readable in certain lighting. I feel the SYDENHAM stamp would not be the Irish town but in the W.A.A.C. I suppose they could have gone anywhere. I googled that the W.A.A.C. became the Q.M.A.A.C in 1918 so I believe the photo was before that date. She demob'ed at the end of the war and received her medal which I have. Really I was just curious to date the photgraphers business but I guess the photo is 1914-18 so it probably wouldn't tell me much more if it remained a mystery!

Coromandel
02-02-2011, 7:02 PM
There is a reference on http://www.
whoareyou-whereareyou.com/photos/c1900s_Courtenay_Harvey____school_group_Sydenham_/opus/13/1/63/1066/
to a photograph taken by "Gertrude Mayhew of Sydenham (Kent)": perhaps this is connected?

Mutley
02-02-2011, 7:10 PM
In the 1922 Phone Book,
Gertrude Mayhew, Photographer, 14 Empire Parade S.E.26
Tel: Sydenham 841

vincenov
03-02-2011, 10:20 AM
Thanks to everyone for your helpful comments. I have a lot to learn! Re the W.A.A.C. records I have found that my ggrandmothers records are missing & they mention that many were destroyed by a bomb in WW2. I will have to see if her record can be restored as I have her medal and other proof of her role. I may also try downloading the 2 WAAC pdf's when I have £7 spare! to see if she is mentioned. I have a feeling I will be back with another question soon.