PDA

View Full Version : Archibald Andrew MacKinnon

Jeanette Mckinn
01-02-2011, 2:02 AM
I am trying to find information on my husbands grandfather Archibald Andrew MacKinnon, who was born in Scotland about 1855. He studied medicine at the University of Edinburgh and shortly after emigrated to British Guyana (Guyana), where he married Hilda Jane Gemmel and had 6 children. His occupation was : Medical Practitioner in the Canje district of Berbice, British Guyana from about 1892 untill 1920. his death is recorded in 1920 at Kings College Hospital in London.
I am hoping to find date and place of birth, parents names, date of marriage, and any information on his life in Guyana. Any information would be helpful.
Thanks,
Jeanette McKinnon

Sue Mackay
01-02-2011, 8:49 AM
You should be able to find details of his birth on the pay per view site scotlandspeople.gov.uk (put www in front). Civil registration started in 1855 in Scotland, so if you are lucky and he was born in that year, for that year only a good deal of extra information was put on the birth certificates (which can be downloaded from the site). If he was born in 1854 then you may still be able to download his baptism from the OPRs on the site (Old Parish Registers)

The UK Medical Registers available on Ancestry list the following:
1895: Archibald Andrew McKinnon: Berbice, British Guiana
1915: Archibald Andrew McKinnon: British Guiana Medical Service

Sue Mackay
01-02-2011, 9:20 AM
It would appear that he came over to London, perhaps to do further medical training, as there is this entry on the 1891 census for 47 Doughty Street (very near St.Bart's Hospital)

RG12; Piece: 123; Folio 87; Page 44 (Original TNA Crown Copyright)

Archibald A McKinnon Boarder 30 Medical Student b British Guiana (British Subject)

Census info is not always reliable, especially for lodgers, but if he was actually born in Berbice to Scottish parents then it may be worth looking on the Overseas Births on Findmypast

Sue Mackay
01-02-2011, 9:37 AM
Dr. A.A. McKinnon sailed from Southampton to Demerera on the 'Don' on August 16 1893 (passenger list at TNA Crown Copyright)

Jeanette Mckinn
01-02-2011, 6:31 PM
Thank you so much Sue, for all the very useful information. Will do my best to go from there.
Jeanette.