PDA

View Full Version : prostitutes and prisoners!!!

A Lee
10-06-2005, 2:38 PM
This may seem a bizarre thing to ask and I am trying to be in no way sordid, but I am trying to find out if there is any way of finding out if someone was a prostitute in the early 1900's.
Would there have been such a thing as 'brothels' and 'red-light dstricts', or would it have been kept behind closed doors?

I have a few questions surrounding the parenting of a late relative, who we have uncovered as beng illegitimate. There is much doubt about the father - some of you may have read my earlier postings - and while I have no reason whatsoever to presume he was the product of this kind of 'liason' I am exploing all avenues and trying to remain open minded.

Similarly, to repeat an earlier message, I am still trying to find out if the father was sent to prison - admittedly a difficult one without a definite name or birthplace!!!

I am not prepared, at this stage to disclose names as there are still distant relatives and connections alive and I am unearthing what has been a long kept secret.

Cheers

Geoffers
10-06-2005, 8:12 PM
This may seem a bizarre thing to ask and I am trying to be in no way sorded, but I am trying to find out if there is any way of finding out if someone was a prostitute in the early 1900's.
Anything you find depends to an extent on where in the country this lass lived, wther she was convicted of an offence and a lot of luck.

Some forces (West Mids is one) have a large collection of photos of all sorts of offenders from the late 19th century onwards. You may find that the local police force has kept some records - if they survive 'Occurrence Books (usually called 'O.B's) can be a Goldmine of information.

Local Record Office may have court records and you may find some information in local newspapers.

Geoffers
Charlbury, Oxfordshire