PDA

View Full Version : Loking for researchers into: Shaw, Rock, Roder, Glaum, Hansmann, Kaile and more

Paul Watts
13-10-2004, 9:33 PM
Looking for fellow researchers into the following families in the Tower Hamlets boroughs:

William Henry Shaw married Mary Ockendon 1881; 10 children over next 25 years. In particular looking for information re William Henry (born 1881 Poplar) and John Ockendon (born 1884) the married respectively Daisy Lavinia Ray (born abt 1880) and Alice Elizabeth Burdett (born abt 1883 Hackney). Also looking for information relating to Edward Albert Shaw (born Plaistow 1889) and Thomas Arthur (born Plaistow 1896)

Henry (Heinrich) Rock married Christina Roder (nee Glaum) in 1875. Henry and Christina's first husband Johann Georg Roder were both from Nordeck in Hessen; Christina's origins were LangGons also in Hessen. Henry's half sister (Elisabeth) married Conrad Hansmann.

The surnames Morrison, Kaile, Wire, Worrow, Hessen, Hall, Bushnell - US citizen in Canadian Army WW1 - Baker in the East End also of interest.

Looking to share/exchange information.

Nadine Harmon
29-10-2004, 5:18 PM
Paul,
I am researching Shaws. I don't know if it's the same family. My Shaws started from Devon, but many, if not all ended up in the London area. Do you happen to know the parents of William Henry Shaw?
I've found my Shaws in Plaistow, Bow, St. Pancras, West Ham, and Bethnal Green to name just a few. Any information we can share with each other might help each of us. You can email me privately if you wish [email protected]
Nadine

Paul Watts
05-11-2004, 3:48 PM
Nadine

Thanks for the reply - we have corresponded separately and agreed that at present there is no link.

saja
05-02-2005, 5:42 PM
You mention Baker of the East End in your more section.My grandmother was Theodosia Sarah Baker of Canning town West Ham. She was born at 12 Mary Street.Her father was William Baker and her mother Clara Baker nee Broad. I do not have any other information at the moment.
If this is a connection please let me know.

Paul Watts
06-02-2005, 9:06 AM
Saja

So far I have Bakers moving from St Lukes via Mile End to Poplar. In 1901 they were at 241 Abbott Rd and the family consisted of John William (age 38), his wife, Elizabeth (37) and their children, Elizabeth 14, Ethel 9, Leonard 7, Lavia 4, and Lawrence 4.

John William's parents were Samuel and Charlotte (Rupsell - we think). In 1881 the family were at 7 Hulls Place, St Lukes and consisted of: Charlotte Baker - widow age 45 and her children Samuel 20, John 19, Charles 16, and Matilda 14.

Leonard married Rose Prudence.

If any of this gels with your information happy to exchange information and put you in touch with a cousin who is actively researching the Bakers.

Happy hunting

Paul

saja
06-02-2005, 2:48 PM
Paul
I am just getting to grips with this side of the family as have been concentrating on another branch.If I find a connection I will let you know.

Paul Watts
07-02-2005, 12:25 AM
Saja

Many thanks - I hope that we find a connection.

Paul

IreneH
25-10-2005, 10:39 PM
Hi Paul,

Just seen your post - must check more often. You mention HALL as one of the name you are researching. I have a John HALL born Winterton Lincolnshire in the early 1800s, in the London area. any connection?

Irene

Paul Watts
26-10-2005, 1:00 AM
Irene

My Hall was Catherine who married Thomas Shaw - they were both born in 1890s.

Paul

IreneH
26-10-2005, 5:04 AM
Hi Paul,
John Hall had two kids a girl, Annie b. 1874 and a boy James b. 1872. Both born London - any help?

Irene

Paul Watts
30-10-2005, 8:40 PM
Irene

Not at the moment.

Will bear you in mind if I get any further on this one.

Paul

Paul Watts
06-11-2005, 9:44 AM
Irene

Sorry but am unable to make a link at present.

Paul

jeeb
22-11-2005, 1:51 PM
Hi Paul,

Having just noticed your interest with the name Glaum, I cannot but wonder if this is sheer coincidence. I have been helping with a recent question posed on this forum by 'marionh' entitled '1851 census name has me stumped,help please'

Marion was unable to read what she believes to be her Great grandmother's name on the 1851 census. The woman in question was named Cristina (sic) and a visitor in the household of Conrad Glaum. Conrad has a young daughter with him called Christina. Is this your Christina Glaum mentioned in your threads and if so I'm sure Marion would be delighted to hear from you? Conrad's mother in law is also with them and I think it is likely Marion's Gt. grandmother and Conrads wife were sisters. You may be able to help with the reading of the surname of Cristina (visitor) as I still feel it has not been reliably deciphered.

Cheers Jeremy

Paul Watts
23-11-2005, 2:08 AM
Jeremy

Glaums are a bit complicated!

As I understand it 3 families came to the London from 3 villages in Hessen (Langgons, Ebersgons and Pohlgohns) which are adjacent to one another just south of Giessen.

A common feature is the Christian name Conrad; this only confuses the issue. There are also several Christinas.

My Glaums are the Langgons lot.

I am in touch with descendants of the 3 families throughout the world through a family group at Yahoo where a wealth of information is available. The family from Ebersgohsn based themselves in Bermondsey; some then moved to Leeds.

I suggest that, unless Marion can link to my lot, she joins the Group and examines the information which has been gleaned by several of us. If she is linked to my lot I will be delighted; even then she may find it useful to join the Group.
Paul