PDA

View Full Version : An enjoyable Scam phone conversation

Dorset Girl
20-01-2011, 12:17 PM
Such a fun phone call yesterday- overseas call (immediate suspicions):
"Hello - I am ?? from Windows Securities - we are ringing you today because it appears you have a problem with your computer
Really?
Yes, did you know you have malicious software that has been downloaded onto your computer?
No
That is why we are here to help you"

..........lots more back and forth bits and pieces acting quite innocent............

"Is your computer turned on?
Yes
Can you look on your keyboard and find the button with four flags on it?
No
Have another look - it is a Microsoft key
No
Well go to the Start button at the bottom of the computer -
Where?"
(repeat - Start button)

after a few more back and forths I said - "there is a small problem by the way" - "what is that?" said little Indian lady ...............................

I've got a Mac

BANG went the phone down at her end - I had wasted ten minutes of her time and loved every second of it! :devil:

Marion

Ms Tarfgi
20-01-2011, 12:21 PM
Brilliant! I hope she rings me 'cos I've got a Mac too. I'd like to see how much of her time I could waste!

LittleSpark
20-01-2011, 12:35 PM
Ditto - brilliant!
We were getting quite a few of these calls before Christmas and we just hung up.
Now I shall follow your advice and waste their time too.

Davran
20-01-2011, 1:45 PM
Priceless!

Dorset Girl
20-01-2011, 2:13 PM
It's the best fun I've had in years - and the silly thing is - I have a PC - it's my OH who has the Mac (but then a whole pack of big black lies allows me to have one little white lie in return surely!!!)
Marion

susan-y
20-01-2011, 3:51 PM
:rofl:

Maybe if everyone did that the calls would cease.......

Don't know if I could keep the "glee" out of my voice... I may have to put them on Hold while I go and "check" my computer as it is in the basement and a long ways from the phone..... Nobody says I have to get back to the phone for a half hour or so...think of the research I could get done :clown:

Sue

arthurk
20-01-2011, 3:54 PM
My wife took one of these calls a few weeks ago, and since the gist of it was that her computer had allegedly been sending error messages to "Windows Support" (sic), after stringing them along for a while she asked how it had managed to do that without recording anything in the error logs on the machine itself. Cue silence as the line went dead.

Maybe I'm a bit of a softie, but part of me feels slightly sorry for the individuals who make these calls, since in many cases they may be working in these places out of desperation to find any kind of work at all, and may have inadvertently become victims of the scammers themselves.

Arthur

Zen Rabbit
20-01-2011, 4:03 PM
Also good when they say what version is your operating system? OS10 :)

Pam Downes
20-01-2011, 5:28 PM
Not being very computer-literate, but being very aware of scams, I was wary of the the first call I received telling me that there was a problem with my computer. After my son confirmed that these calls are just scams (actual Windows NEVER phone you without you previously arranging the call) I have said:

'Oh thank you for letting me know. I'll get my neighbour who's a computer engineer to check it out'.
'But I don't have a computer'.
'When did these problems happen? Well, that's impossible because my computer was broken then, and I was waiting the arrival of a new one'.

Pam

Colin Rowledge
20-01-2011, 5:38 PM
Being deaf and the hearing aid I use is not compatible with the telephone, I rarely answer it as I have caller display and can see who is calling me. Our voice-mail message was posted many years ago by my daughter, never been changed and has been useful [to say the least] in telling scammers 'where to go'!!

Colin

David Tuson
20-01-2011, 11:38 PM
My wife took one of these calls a few weeks ago, and since the gist of it was that her computer had allegedly been sending error messages to "Windows Support"

Arthur

A good response to this is "But my computer isn't connected to the internet"

Sandyhall
21-01-2011, 10:37 AM
I had one awile back kept him talking for 15 mins, son sat there giving me the thumbs up cause he knew what I was doing.
After 15 mins counldn't carry on not to laugh asked him for the name and address of the company so that I could write a thank you note and include a bill for £100 addmin fees for answering his phone call and him waisting my time.

Son laughed his socks off and tells me "I'm a class act" is this a step up from being called "A legend" what him and his mate called me before.

Sandy

v.wells
21-01-2011, 8:29 PM
Priceless!

Truly brilliant!

spison
21-01-2011, 9:34 PM
We've had a lot of these too. I usually just say I'm not interested. The very first time I asked for their website so I could check them out and checked it with my IT son who said the address was fishy. Now I have a better plan of attack. I'll pretend I have a Mac! Bring it on I can hardly wait!

Jane

Barnzzz
21-01-2011, 10:40 PM
I had one of these calls last week. I asked for the name and address of the company and for a technical explanation of how they knew what my computer was doing. The gentleman didn't answer either question.

He repeatedly asked me if I had anti virus software so I repeatedly asked him for the name and address of the company he was calling from. He then asked to speak to my husband (guaranteed to get a woman's back up!).

We may have hit a language barrier here, because when I asked him why he wanted to speak to my husband he said it was because he 'wanted to check he was a man!!!'. Bizarre..........

Sue

arthurk
04-02-2011, 4:16 PM
.... after stringing them along for a while she asked how it had managed to do that without recording anything in the error logs on the machine itself.

OK, they're learning. I took another call this morning, and they actually wanted me to look in the Event Viewer and some of its logs. (If you've never done this before it can be a bit scary, as Windows computers tend to produce quite a lot of warnings. There may also be error messages, but I've found that the ones I get tend to be to do with printer drivers etc which the mfr seems unable/unwilling to sort out - and the computer works OK regardless.)

Anyway, I was told, these warnings and errors are evidence that I've picked up some malware and need their expert help to get rid of it, which would involve one of their technicians accessing the computer remotely. I managed to string them along for quite a while till I got exhausted and told them that I had no intention of allowing a stranger who had rung up out of the blue to access my computer, thank you very much.

For the record, they said they were calling from a company called Comantra, and wanted me to go to a site at pccure.net. A web search indicates that others have been given similar information, and that it is (surprise, surprise) a scam.

Arthur

Lynne Black
05-02-2011, 4:49 AM
Thankfully i had read your story because i got a similar call myself yesterday and was prepared for it, otherwise, not being terribly computer-literate, i might have believed the "windows support" caller and with goodness knows what ramifications! it's got so that you cant believe anyone who rings or even "virus alerts" that pop up on your screen that are apparently fake. it's getting all too complicated!

Nightryder
05-02-2011, 10:08 PM
Ive only received one of these calls so far & that was before xmas,my 9 yr old grandson answered the phone & he was on the pc at the time,luckily he couldnt understand the caller because of his accent & came to find me to hand over the phone,im not sure if he could have understood the caller, if he would have followed the instructions, so its a good idea to warn anyone who might use your pc especially children.
Im assuming these callers just ring people at random out of the phone book,has anyone who is not listed in the book received one of these calls?

kandi
06-02-2011, 12:32 PM
My 90 year old father was getting quite a few phone calls saying they were phoning about his computer. He dealt with them quite abruptly by interrupting & telling them he didn't have a computer & then slamming the phone down on them.

The calls started just after he bought a new computer from a well known store last year & gave his phone number for the delivery details.
Coincidence ??????

These pc related calls have now stopped but last week he received a call supposedly from his bank (yes, it was a foreign lady calling) who was saying something about a sum of money & wanted his date of birth. Of course Dad refused & she got quite nasty with him when he said he wouldn't tell her anything.

I just wish they'd phone while I was there.

arthurk
06-02-2011, 4:18 PM
Im assuming these callers just ring people at random out of the phone book,has anyone who is not listed in the book received one of these calls?

I forgot to say before that the caller asked for me by my full name, whereas the entry in the phone book only has the initial letter, which means I must be on some kind of contacts list that his company has bought. To try to avoid this I'm usually very careful to untick the boxes allowing companies and "selected third parties" to contact me, so either this one slipped past me or some unscrupulous company has passed my details on anyway.

Arthur

nataliew
06-02-2011, 8:29 PM
have to say my husband does exactly the same! but after 10mins, he can't help laughing! I do feel sorry for them but his theory is while he keeps them on the phone, they're not scamming someone who may fall for it

Jonesy
07-02-2011, 1:16 PM
I’ve had a lot of these calls. Working in IT, I find these scams either infuriating or amusing, and, depending on my mood, will deal with them accordingly.

I had a long argument with one caller about how he knew my computer had a problem. I kept asking him, “what is my IP address”?, and after many attempts of him trying to tell me IP address was my home address (!), he finally conceded and admitted he didn’t know.

“So how do you know I have a problem, then?”, which resulted in him hanging up.

I’ve also wound them up with the pretence of being utterly ignorant of computers (“which one is the Any Key?”), etc., and I’m surprised at how patient they are!

I’ve also strung them along for a bit, allowed them to tell me a number of times that they are acting behalf of Microsoft, then, when I confirm I’m in front of the computer, which it switched on and connected to the internet, wait for them to tell me to click the “start” button, to which I say “there isn’t one”, then claim I have a Mac too (which I don’t)!

I’ve also on occasion handed the ‘phone to my 3 year old daughter to complete the call. :yesnod:

My favourite, though, was a caller claiming to be doing a “regional survey”. I asked where she was phoning from (India), and then asked what region I was in. After a number of times of her telling me my region was “UK” (!), I said “no, what region am I in??, to which her reply was priceless: “er….London?”!!

On a more serious note, this scam is particularly unpleasant as it’s an easy one to fall for. The caller asks you to open Windows Log File, which will often show “errors”. These are quite normal and nothing to worry about, but, before long, the caller is asking you to go to their website and input credit card details to pay to fix the problem.

Not only are there no problems, your credit card details could well be stolen by these criminals.

I’ve read up on the scam, and they will always use English sounding names, but change the name every day. I asked one caller to tell me the name of his manager, to which he replied “I’ll have to go and find out”!!

Even though I have Caller Display, it only ever shows either “International Call” or “Out of Area”, My advice to anyone who is Caller Display is, if you don’t know anyone who lives abroad, don’t answer.

Or answer and wind them up. :wink5: