PDA

View Full Version : William Lefevre born 1906.

tomsmummy
18-01-2011, 3:43 PM
Hi,

I have been researsching my family tree now for three years and have solved many mysteries but one still remains. My maternal grandfather was born in 1906 as William Henry Barlow his mother was Eliza Barlow no father is on the birth certificate.

Eliza married a Haddon Charles Lefevre in 1910, on the 1911 census William Henry Barlow is listed as Step son, my mum always knew her father as William Henry Lefevre so how do I find out if Haddon adopted his step son or if my grandad simply just took the lefrevre surname?

Any help would be gratefully received.
Thanks
Zoe.

Geoffers
18-01-2011, 4:12 PM
Eliza married a Haddon Charles Lefevre in 1910, on the 1911 census William Henry Barlow is listed as Step son, my mum always knew her father as William Henry Lefevre so how do I find out if Haddon adopted his step son or if my grandad simply just took the lefrevre surname?

At this period in time, the stepdad could just adopt William without a formal process. Also, you can call yourelf anything you like in this country (provided it is not part of some criminal enterprise) without using any formal process. So it may well have been William who simply adopted the name out of affection for his step-father.

You're unlikely to find a reference, but since it's free to search and it must be about time to put the kettle on (and you have to do something whilst waiting for it to boil); try the London Gazette (http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/) (It's free to search and view) in case there was a formal notice of name change published.