PDA

View Full Version : Yet more Latin translations

DaveinInskip
10-01-2011, 10:42 AM
Hello fellow scribes,I look for assurance that I am on the right track.

The date is around 1630 and I am transcribing Kirkham,Lancashire Parish Reg.,Marriages.

I have started to come across what appears to be the Latin "hujuis",which is appearing directly after a surname,somtimes only one surname has it, sometimes both surnames.

I have put the question to my fellow scribes on the Lancashire project and the consencus of opinion appears to be that hujuis means like or same,and suggests that it is being used as "of this parish".

Can anyone add to this thought?

regards all

Dave in Inskip :scooter:

gasser
10-01-2011, 11:23 AM
One suggestion.............could it be 'hujus' which means 'this' ?

Is there anything else written directly after it?

Kerrywood
10-01-2011, 11:56 AM
huius or hujus means "of this". It could imply "of this parish", depending on context.

DaveinInskip
10-01-2011, 7:56 PM
Hello Gasser and Kerrywood,thanks for your input,on the old website I was able to send a screen capture,but don't seem to be able to do now,so here is the transcription word for word.

Mat Tyrer poch de Mich et Jen Hale hujus

some entries have the hujus after both surnames.

Kerrywood
10-01-2011, 8:32 PM
on the old website I was able to send a screen capture,but don't seem to be able to do now
You should be able to upload an extract of the image to Photobucket (or a similar site) if you want, and then post the link here.

Mat Tyrer poch de Mich et Jen Hale hujus
I think it's fairly safe to assume hujus = of this (parish).

I'm not too sure about the transcription poch de Mich. If there is a short horizontal or diagonal bar through the descender of the letter p, it may be the abbreviation for p(ar)ochia/e = of the parish. Is there perhaps a candidate for Mich among nearby parishes?

Geoffers
10-01-2011, 8:41 PM
Is there perhaps a candidate for Mich among nearby parishes?

St. Michael's on Wyre?

DaveinInskip
10-01-2011, 10:23 PM
Kerrywood,many thanks,I will go for the "of this parish"

Geoffers,spot on,I could throw a stone from Inskip to St.Michaels.

Thanks all,I'll call this one closed now and move along,

Dave in Inskip