PDA

View Full Version : Samuel Treganza - Truro

Barbara Wilkinson
08-06-2005, 7:00 PM
Edith Treganza married Orlando John Bowden 10 June 1847 in St Helier Jersey. She was from the Kenwyn area of Truro, according to her marriage certificate, the daughter of Samuel Treganza, a plasterer. Edith may have been baptised 2 July 1820 in Truro - this being the only remotely possible baptism that I have found.

What I cannot find is any reference to Samuel Treganza :confused: I had - for a time - thought him to have been baptised 9 November 1777, the son of John and Edith Treganza - which nicely fitted with calling his daughter Edith But ... I have since found the burial of Samuel Giles Treganza, son of John and Edith on 6 February 1784.

Orlando and Edith's first child, Horatio, was born in Truro in 1848, and their next children in Jersey. Did Edith return home to "Mum" for the birth of her first child? Horatio was born in Bosvigo Lane, Kenwyn, Truro - I wonder if someone with access to the 1851 census could check to see if there are any Treganzas in the area then. I have checked the Cornwall Census On-line project, but Kenwyn is not yet available there.
Many thanks

Graham L
09-06-2005, 11:15 AM
I suppose it is possible that the Samuel Treganza who is father of Edith is the SECOND child to be given that name by his parents as the first one died at a very young age.

Barbara Wilkinson
09-06-2005, 6:00 PM
Thanks for that thought - but ....:)

When I found the burial record for the Samuel who died young, I did have a quick look! However, it was a rushed look on the last day I had booked at the Record Office in Truro on my last visit to Cornwall, so I could have missed it. I'll just have to convince my husband that he wants (yet) another holiday in Cornwall ....!!!

Barbara Wilkinson
23-08-2005, 11:30 PM
An update to this thread ...

Samuel Tregenza found on the 1841, 1851 and 1861 census, married to Jane, and from further investigations on the census returns for their children, almost certainly the "right" Samuel to be the father of my Edith.

But .... (there had to be one!) .... absolutely no sign of a marriage for Samuel and Jane, or a baptism for Samuel.

Samuel would have been born c1784/6 accoring to the various census entries, and consistently gave his birthplace as St Mary's Truro on the census. Has anyone come across his baptism? I think it is possible that he was the son of John and Edith - maybe not baptised, but who knows??

Any help appreciated!

Barbara Wilkinson
30-09-2007, 1:02 PM
Another update - mainly to bring it to the attention of all those lovely members who have joined since 2005!!! Someone must know something, but information is certainly eluding me ........

Samuel and Jane appear to have had 5 children - Samuel 1814, Caroline 1815, Edith 1820, Charlotte 1822 and Laura 1825 - all baptised at St Mary, Truro. They are with Edith, Charlotte and Laura in Truro on the 1841 census, and in 1851 living alone (actually with a lodger, but I cannot find any connection with his name!). In 1851, Samuel's birthplace is given as St Mary's and Jane's as (possibly) St Winnow - it is hard to read, but several others have looked and St Winnow seems likely (HO107/1910 Folio 221, page 9). I cannot find any trace of a marriage between Samuel and Jane or a baptism for Samuel. I am as certain as I can be that these are the right parents for "my" Edith - her son Orlando turns up on the 1871 census with their son Samuel 1814 - too coincidental otherwise I thought!
Samuel was born c 1786, and Jane c1784.
If anyone can throw any light on what I can try next - or better still - has come across them - I would be hugely grateful. Any information, no matter how small or seemingly insignificent, greatly appreciated!

gayna
30-09-2007, 2:16 PM
Hi Barbara,
This is of no use to you at all but I thought you might like to know that I have a WALTER ALEXANDER SWAIN (1869) married to EMILY TREGENZA (1869) 1q 1896 in Liverpool. I believe that her family came from Cornwall but never searched further.

Barbara Wilkinson
30-09-2007, 3:18 PM
Thanks Gayna - I did say anything - no matter how seemingly insignificant!!! ;)
I have not come across an Emily in my own searches - but it is now filed away in the "Ancestors I might have had" folder for future reference! Thanks again

gayna
13-03-2008, 1:26 PM
I know this is a bit late - so hope you are still researching. Have just found another Tregenza/Swain link I have John Beynon SWAIN married Emily Kezia TREGENZA at St. Hilary's, Wallasey, Cheshire 1922.

Any use??

Barbara Wilkinson
13-03-2008, 8:34 PM
Thanks for the interest, Gayna - yes, I am still researching this line - and not progressing very fast at all .....!! In fact no further forward! I have not linked this family to any outside of Cornwall as yet (other than my immediate ancestors who ended up in Jersey and then the London area before going back to Cornwall ..), but it is another note for the "Ancestors I might have file".

GeoffD
13-03-2008, 10:02 PM
I might as well join in on the Tregenza treasure hunt.

Up in the top of my tree, as it stands, I have Jenefer TREGENZA, April 1740, St. Ewe. (4th great-grandmother). Married Nicholas TALLACK and had 10 kids I know of.

Barbara Wilkinson
13-03-2008, 10:52 PM
Glad to have you aboard Geoff ...not a particularly easy ship to sail in ...
I haven't come across your St Ewe Tregenzas, but you might be interested in this website I stumbled across - lists lots of Tregenzas in Cornwall. The intention I believe is to link all the Tregenzas in Cornwall - my lot are presently an "unconnected family":confused: which is a bit of a blow. I haven't looked for your Jenefer, but she could well be there.
You can download the various family trees - there is a copy of this - or something very similar - held in the library of the Cornwall Family History Society in Truro that I had seen before, but did not know was on the web. My lot have been "unconnected" for as long as this has been around ...!

http://www.tregenza.org/

GeoffD
14-03-2008, 9:26 AM
My lot have been "unconnected" for as long as this has been around ...!

I'm permanently unconnected (or disconnected?) and thinking of setting up a Home for the Terminally Bemused.

Thanks for the link - I'll check it out.
-----------------------------------------
Near the top!
JINIFER baptised 16APR 1740 St Ewe (IGI), = JENEFER married Nicholas Tallack 13MAY 1764 Mylor, 10 children
Daughter of Francis TREGENZA (1700) and Hannah RUNDLE

So I'm not entirely unconnected.

Barbara Wilkinson
14-03-2008, 5:04 PM
Good for you - I am quite jealous ....!!!
I have been fiddling around with this family for years - and to add insult to injury, we are not even "unconnected family 1" - no, we have to be "unconnected family33" - not much hope there ......
One of these fine days - and hopefully sooner rather than later - I will have a breakthrough - and we may find ourselves related! Either that, or I will have applied to join your Home for the terminally bemused ....

Glad to have helped.

Barbara Wilkinson
04-08-2008, 11:36 AM
To those interested in the Tregenza name, the website quoted earlier in this thread has been updated, and apparently contains much more information. Some of the unconnected families are now connected! Not mine though - I am still part of Unconnected family 33 - some new information there, but nothing to help me!!!

gayna
05-09-2008, 10:34 AM
Hello Barbara,
Hope you are still looking for Tregenzas. I have just found them as lighthouse keepers in Tasmania. www.lighthouse.net.au (http://www.lighthouse.net.au) I was actually searching once more for my Swain family!!|banghead|
Why has my print suddenly gone green? Who knows!!
Bye
Gayna

Barbara Wilkinson
05-09-2008, 12:05 PM
Some of the unconnected families are now connected! Not mine though - I am still part of Unconnected family 33 - some new information there, but nothing to help me!!!

Yes - still looking, Gayna - they are turning up all over the place - except in Truro and St Winnow where and when I want them to!!
Have you found any of yours on the link I posted? It has been updated and I am in correspondence with the man who is doing all the tracking of Tregenzas - he has more to add soon ...! He is convinced that they are all linked somewhere - I got lots of information about some of his "unconnected" families when I was in Cornwall in the summer (well it was August, but did not feel like summer!) - but nothing to add to my immediate quest!

Hugh Thompson
05-09-2008, 12:58 PM
Hi Barbara,just did a search through the PR's I have on file,these are the only ones that I could find,might one day be of use,but I'll keep you in mind,|book|regards Hugh.:)

Marriages

Thomas Tregenza & Catherine Clark..23 aug..1798..St Ewe

Thomas Tregenza, of Mylor, & Honor Symons..2.jan..1781.Probus

John Tregenza & Grace Richards..8 aug 1737..St Veryan

John Williams Tregenza & Mary Stephens..12 mar..1792 St Stephen's in Brannel
William Tooker & Ann Tregenza..19 may..1782..St Stephen's in Brannel
Peter Tregenza & Loveday Sharpless..6 july..1777..St Stephen's in Brannel
Thomas Allin & Susanna Tregenza..6 july..1724..St Stephen's in Brannel
Benjamin Osburne & Ann Tregenza..7 jan..1710..St Stephen's in Brannel
Williim Tregenza & Charity Bilkey..14 apr..1707..St Stephen's in Brannel
Francis Tregenza & Temperance Rickard..13 feb..St Stephen's in Brannel
Samuel Tregenza & Ann Andrew..6 nov..1694..St Stephen's in Brannel

Benjamin Webster Wid &Mary Tregenza..12 Sep..1818.. Mylor

Mr. Richard Clemence & Miss MaryAnn Tregenza;.21 oct..1853..At the Wesleyan Chapel, Hayle

Barbara Wilkinson
05-09-2008, 3:05 PM
Thanks Hugh, I appreciate the interest - and the time it has taken you to type that lot out!!
Very irritating family this ....!!!

gayna
05-09-2008, 3:51 PM
Keep looking who knows what Father Christmas might bring|jedi|
I was on that Lighthouse site as there was a James SWAIN there but apart from the name nothing else - rats.
My aged aunt thinks that the SWAIN family might have originated in Cownwall then some moved to Devon and apparently our lot moved to Liverpool. Why on earth would they do that:confused:
Regards

Gayna

Barbara Wilkinson
05-09-2008, 3:59 PM
Keep looking who knows what Father Christmas might bring|jedi|

He has had ample opportunity - the number of years I have been looking for this little lot ....!!

My aged aunt thinks that the SWAIN family might have originated in Cownwall then some moved to Devon and apparently our lot moved to Liverpool. Why on earth would they do that:confused:

It is usually something to do with work - what did they do?
Having said that - my "first" Tregenza - Edith - went from Truro to Jersey where she married - why? Presumably that was something to do with work - but as she was a dressmaker, it has always intrigued me. Were they short of dressmakers in Jersey ....?

gayna
05-09-2008, 4:24 PM
Luke SWAIN 1729 Cornwall was a cabinet maker.

William SWAIN abt 1730 (place of birth unknown) was a potter in Liverpool

Maybe your Edith followed some-one to Jersey and found that people liked her dressmaking.|snore|
Time I started my dinner.|wave|
Regards
Gayna

pollychomp
25-10-2009, 12:40 AM
Hi have my connection Buckland, dover kent area.

George Ralph Swain born 1832 I think Elham Kent who was first battalion 16th Infantry Regiment camp shorncliffe then he was police constable does anyone have any connections he married lydia linkins they had 3 boys Reuben, Ralph and Ernest. Does anyone know who George's parents are?

|help|

gayna
25-10-2009, 11:26 AM
Hi there - I think you have posted in the wrong thread but here goes:-

HQ107 piece 479 folio 8 page10
All born Swingfield Elham Kent

George SWAIN 35 1806 Ag lab
wife Elizabeth 35 1806
dau Mary 10 1831
son George 8 1833
dau Eliza 5 1836
dau Sarah 2 1839

Actually these are not my SWAINs as, so far, are all from Liverpool, Lan.