PDA

View Full Version : One name paperwork

Barnzzz
05-01-2011, 10:32 PM
Hi, I've tentatively started a one name study of the Pile name, its currently in the 'thinking about how to do it' stage.

Does anyone have any hints about how to manage the information, which would mostly be on paper?

I've started off with a sheet of paper for each Pile (yes I know, its a horrible name!), plus a list on word that I can use to search for an individual. I've only listed a few people so far, these are all in the Bristol area. I can see problems ahead when I go farther afield and I struggle to manage different folders/lists or whatever and keep track of them all.

Is there a recognised method of doing this which I don't know about?

Many thanks, Sue

Mutley
05-01-2011, 10:52 PM
The Guild of One name Studies has a Pile in it's register (number 5487).
The lady researching this name gives her email address.

It may be worth contacting her. If your Piles and her Piles ever end up on the same piles it may be useful to you both if your method is the same one for sorting your piles. :smile5:

Geoffers
05-01-2011, 11:12 PM
See Mutley's reply, above

Does anyone have any hints about how to manage the information, which would mostly be on paper?

1. Work out a system of giving individuals references and how you are going to merge them when you find out that what you had as two different people is in fact just one individual.

2. Work out a system for identifying family groups and how you are going to reference them.

3. Consider using a programme 'Custodian 3' - custodian3.co.uk - alternatively try setting up spreadsheets (much better than a word processor) to record the large numbers of births; and marriages; and deaths; plus census returns; and wills; and service records; etc.

As well as electronic systems, I still use index cards which I have kept since the 1970s.

Barnzzz
05-01-2011, 11:18 PM
Thanks for this Mutley. Here's hoping our piles get sorted similarly!

Sue

Barnzzz
05-01-2011, 11:23 PM
Thanks for your advice Geoffers, I certainly need to work out some kind of referencing system and it may be that I use a computer more than I'd planned.
Sue

Geoffers
05-01-2011, 11:37 PM
Thanks for your advice Geoffers, I certainly need to work out some kind of referencing system and it may be that I use a computer more than I'd planned.

One thing I forgot before.........

If you do use a computer to record the information, for example the GRO indices of births, and marriages, and deaths - allow for the changing formats over time and it can be useful to work out a single worksheet into which you can copy all three types of events and then use filters to analyse them to hopefully identify individuals and match them up with other records.

Mutley
05-01-2011, 11:49 PM
I mainly use a paper system, don't trust my PC, though I do have entries in a freebie program!
Geoffers introduced me to index cards a long time ago. I love them.
I used Word to create the card (4 to an A4 landscaped page) with spaces for BMDs, census, the references etc.
I print them off and then fill them in. On the back I will often scribble odd details or paste a picture.

Whenever I have some spare time I take out a card and try to fill in the gaps. Holding that card in my hand is the nearest I shall ever come to some of the relatives from whom I descend.

Barnzzz
06-01-2011, 9:59 PM
I have similar system with my family tree with a page for each person, showing all their details, with gaps where I hope the missing details will be one day. They are in alphabetical order, then date order. I'm sounding a bit OCD now, never mind........it keeps me happy.
Sue