PDA

View Full Version : Eftpos card scam hits New Zealand

JohnN
30-12-2010, 11:21 PM
This could well be a well-known swindle in other countries, but it's a new one over here.

A courier calls at a shop with a package and demands a small payment to cover the cost of delivery. The victim pays with their Eftpos card using a portable terminal which is in fact a 'skimming' device which records all the details of the card. The 'courier' later empties the account. Several thousand dollars are known to have been lost in this fashion in recent times.

The 'package' contains a fake letter from a hotel chain offering commissions on sales to tour parties.

There must be some brilliant minds at work out there in the criminal world!

John (simple but honest)
.._

David Tuson
30-12-2010, 11:29 PM
I've forwarded the content to the small service station where I used to work - they can ill afford to have their account emptied.
Its a pity these scumbags don't use their brains in some legitimate ways.
David

pattenwalsh
31-12-2010, 12:53 AM
Blimey ,Haven't heard of eftpos for years over in uk.I believe it stood for electronic fund transfer (at) point of sale,but is now known as simply as pos,and yes these sorts of scams go on year in year out and they are dreamt up by ,as David Tuson,says,scumbags but very clever scumbags!

David Tuson
31-12-2010, 2:29 AM
Blimey ,Haven't heard of eftpos for years over in uk..............................

You have to remember that modern technology takes a few years to find its way to the bottom of the world. I keep telling my grandchildren that we've still only got black and white TV here in Pirongia! it works - they don't want to spend their holidays in the dark ages!!!!!
Seriously though, we love 'em ( the grandchildren not the scumbags)

Chipp'n'Dale
20-01-2011, 10:03 AM
You have to remember that modern technology takes a few years to find its way to the bottom of the world. I keep telling my grandchildren that we've still only got black and white TV here in Pirongia! it works - they don't want to spend their holidays in the dark ages!!!!!
Seriously though, we love 'em ( the grandchildren not the scumbags)
Don't do yourself down. In practical terms, there didn't seem to to be much difference between your Eftpos and our Chip and Pin last time I was over in NZ.

JohnN
20-01-2011, 11:09 AM
I believe someone once said 'Progress is all very well, but it's gone on for far too long...'

.._