PDA

View Full Version : Ye Olde Sargood Will to Decipher

olliecat
17-12-2010, 5:17 PM
I have quite an old will to decipher. I’ve sort of become used to 18th century script; however the script in this earlier 17th century will is a bit different. Not only is the spelling - uhm! archaic – but all the ye’s are driving me potty.

I know they used to write 'ye' instead of 'the' but I’m confused. Did they write 'y' in the place of every instance of a 'th'. For example…

ye = the
yis = this
bequeay = bequeath

Or is it a case of a curly 'th' looking like the letter 'y'?

ps: I could have plonked this question on the end of my other thread – but it was getting rather long.

Geoffers
17-12-2010, 5:26 PM
They are using what we now think of and pronounce as the letter 'y' - but -

It goes back a long time in history to when there was an additional letter in Old English 'thorn' and equated to the sound 'th'. The letter (originally a rune) was written a bit like a modern 'p' but over time became corrupted (and confused with another old letter 'wynn') to appear as 'y' and was (wrongly) pronounced as a y.

Peter Goodey
17-12-2010, 5:27 PM
You may like to look up "Thorn (letter)" in Wikipedia.

olliecat
17-12-2010, 5:48 PM
Ok thanks. I've across examples of 'ye' where the e is a superscript. I haven't seen examples where 'y' is written instead of 'th' in the middle of a word before.

So, when I transcribe this will, do I write is as...

... ordaine yis my last will and ...

... my broyer ...

... and yen to pay it unto yem ...

and keep the y's?

Peter Goodey
17-12-2010, 6:28 PM
Why not work the same way as described in the National Archives paleography tutorial (http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/palaeography/where_to_start.htm)?

...transcribe ye as the and yt as th[a]t.

olliecat
17-12-2010, 11:07 PM
Thanks for the link. :D I typed up a second version of my transcription with all the y’s replaced with a th. It sort of makes better sense.

Could someone please just look at the short extract (http://forum.folder101.com/phpbb/images/WILL_SARGOOD_Thomas_1603_Blewbury_extract1.jpg) I’ve uploaded and confirm these words…

unbequeayed and bequeyed (first line)
broyer (last word, last line)
I don’t why I keep doubting.

Geoffers
17-12-2010, 11:11 PM
First line - Unbeqeauthed I give and beqeauth

also, last word of second line - 'this'

Third line - John SARGOOD my brother

I don’t why I keep doubting.

Do you?

Are you sure??

olliecat
17-12-2010, 11:27 PM
Do you?

Are you sure??

Yes, I do doubt my own transcriptions. This is the first time I've had to interpret a document with lots of y's combined with odd and inconsistent spelling.

May I bother you or someone with a word I just can't figure out. It's the second word of the second line of this extract (http://forum.folder101.com/phpbb/images/WILL_SARGOOD_Thomas_1603_Blewbury_extract2.jpg). I would have thought it should be the word 'sovereign' but it just doesn't look like it.

Geoffers
17-12-2010, 11:35 PM
"Our sufferant ladie Elizabeth by ...................."

It's just an interesting spelling of sovereign, on a par with similar spelling of this period.

olliecat
17-12-2010, 11:42 PM
"Our sufferant ladie Elizabeth by ...................."

It's just an interesting spelling of sovereign, on a par with similar spelling of this period.

Thank you, - sufferant - I don't think that would have ever occurred to me.